For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Flexitime is another disruptive practice, especially when teams are involved. It’s no good some turning up for work at 07.30 say, and others clocking in at 09.00 . Holdups for cigarette breaks are another - I’ve witnessed some skiving off several times a day for an on average 15 minutes per cig’ and, the company has to build the “bus shelter”facilities for them.
Bill McCarthy wrote:Flexitime is another disruptive practice, especially when teams are involved. It’s no good some turning up for work at 07.30 say, and others clocking in at 09.00 . Holdups for cigarette breaks are another - I’ve witnessed some skiving off several times a day for an on average 15 minutes per cig’ and, the company has to build the “bus shelter”facilities for them.

There was one large organisation that had non-smokers finishing at 4pm on Friday. Smokers left at 5. it was in recognition of their need for nicotine top ups
eltonioni liked this
Poor luv.

That said, the photographer is probably a victim of endless journos winding her up until they got the controversy they were after. Nothing good comes out becoming the story, best to just put the phone down. She’s got some lovely photos too.
Try as I may I cannot see anything other than two polar opposite occupations being selected as examples of extremes to make the point.

Wouldn't have the same impact suggesting an electrician could become a plumber. God forbid then the complaints would be about how they could have been more sensitive and chosen someone from the arts who's really struggling.

I'm struggling on this one, I'm afraid. :?

Too much over thinking, me thinks. :D
JAFO, cockney steve, GrahamB liked this
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
defcribed wrote:The things is @leiafee , when people think like that they're not actually thinking about reproduction or you as a female. They're thinking "might this person one day stop coming to work?" and considering that as the business risk it is.

Seems less than risk-free to lose a first choice candidate rather than make a sensible plan for absence too. Going for presenteeism over ability seems like a risky strategy.

I’ve turned down jobs I’ve been offered as a first choice because they asked the kids question or some thinly disguised proxy for it.
Miscellaneous wrote:Try as I may I cannot see anything other than two polar opposite occupations being selected as examples of extremes to make the point.

Not totally out of the question. I have a cousin who trained as a ballerina until her late teens, when they discovered a slight curvature of her spine. She ended up working for IBM and travelled/lived all over the world while she did it. They didn't have "cyber" in the 80s but it was pretty geeky all the same.
Flyingfemme wrote:Not totally out of the question. I have a cousin who trained as a ballerina until her late teens, when they discovered a slight curvature of her spine. She ended up working for IBM and travelled/lived all over the world while she did it.

I think that proves the point quite nicely. The intention was to suggest there was no reason for any individual not to consider retraining for any other career, irrespective of how unlikely it seemed. A case of some rushing to take offence rather than there being any inherent offence in the ad? :D
GrahamB, JAFO, Flyingfemme liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote:
Flyingfemme wrote:Not totally out of the question. I have a cousin who trained as a ballerina until her late teens, when they discovered a slight curvature of her spine. She ended up working for IBM and travelled/lived all over the world while she did it.

I think that proves the point quite nicely. The intention was to suggest there was no reason for any individual not to consider retraining for any other career, irrespective of how unlikely it seemed. A case of some rushing to take offence rather than there being any inherent offence in the ad? :D

I think the issue was the suspicion that it was more F**K the arts you need to go and get a job in cyber rather than I can't get to make a living in ballet I need another career :-) It has spawned some absolutely cracking memes though....
johnm wrote:I think the issue was the suspicion that it was more F**K the arts you need to go and get a job in cyber rather than I can't get to make a living in ballet...

I think that sums up the other side quite nicely too. The underlying offence that was taken, which doesn't exist.

Tell me honestly, can you see the difficulty I am having finding offence?
JAFO liked this
johnm wrote:No I found it extremely offensive because I think the arts are a great deal more important than Wetherspoons

Well, that's nail on head then. :thumright: You choose some comparison to Wetherspoons. Ad suggested dance to high skilled job.

You said
johnm wrote:I think the issue was the suspicion that it was more F**K the arts...

then you said (in wholeheartedly supporting the suspicion theory)
johnm wrote:No I found it extremely offensive...

That's quite enough evidence for me that you crave to see (and create) offence, where none resides.

****, stop creating controversy where there is none. :roll:
Last edited by Miscellaneous on Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAFO, low&slow liked this