For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
lobstaboy wrote:
I’ve turned down jobs I’ve been offered as a first choice because they asked the kids question or some thinly disguised proxy for it.

Good for you. And I hope at the same time you asked them whether they had nursery provision?

Nope. Not my job to fix their creepyarse workplace for ‘em.
A4 Pacific wrote:
No I found it extremely offensive because I think the arts are a great deal more important than Wetherspoons

More important to whom?

Indeed, I wonder how much justified offence that post would cause for Wetherspoons employees, who are quite clealry, in John's view, less worthy than ballerinas?

But heh, they're only Wetherspoon employees. :roll:
JAFO liked this
By johnm
Wetherspoons employees could go and retrain as almost anything and it would be an improvement in skill levels.

My beef is that there's a whole load of noise about keeping pubs open but the answer for the arts is to go and retrain as something else.

I'd rather see a load of pubs shut than a load of theatres. Pubs come and go and in the UK the level of training for most staff is close to zero, whereas there's years of dedication in many artistic roles.

Philistines should not be allowed to decide anything :twisted:
lobstaboy liked this
By johnm
Miscellaneous wrote:
johnm wrote:Philistines should not be allowed to decide anything :twisted:

Oh really? :lol:

Yes really. We are in desperate need of a UK Renaissance :roll:

I’ll continue to pay for my seats and very willingly, though as we own seats at the Albert Hall we do sometimes provide complementary seats :roll:
Okay @johnm I'll take a break from the thread and leave you to offence creation. :thumright:

I'm off to see if anyone wants to talk flying for a change. :D

PS Can't claim to be so posh as to own RAH seats, I'm more the Wetherspoons type myself. However I have managed to fool the lowly door keepers at the RAH on occasion. :wink:
Flying_john, JAFO liked this
johnm wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:
johnm wrote:Philistines should not be allowed to decide anything :twisted:

Oh really? :lol:

Yes really. We are in desperate need of a UK Renaissance :roll:

I’ll continue to pay for my seats and very willingly, though as we own seats at them Albert Hall we do sometimes provide complementary seats :roll:

Err, I don't think you do. IIRC you might own a lease in the building owned by a charity but in reality the RAH is no more a charity than my mates massive dark and dingy nightclub. Fair dos to the RAH for trying to generate its own finances as a business though.

It does grate a little that the monies stumped up for the Royal Opera House would keep grassroots football alive all over the country. Right now I'd happily see the ROH shut down, flogged off and the proceeds used to keep the 72 EFL clubs in existence. It's a shame that they can't run the charity scam that "the arts" uses.
By johnm
@eltonioni Technically you are correct the family has a 999 year lease on the seats that commenced in 1853. The Great Exhibition established RAH, Imperial College, the Royal College of Music.

As to football it's slightly less interesting than watching paint dry but seems to be able to attract funds without too much difficulty, so maybe the premiere league could drop a few quid into grass roots.
johnm wrote:Wetherspoons employees could go and retrain as almost anything and it would be an improvement in skill levels.

The above is more offensive than the ad you are discussing... the reason being you are deliberately saying it to be negative, unlike the ad, which is actually trying to be positive... :roll:
By johnm
skydriller wrote:
j
ohnm wrote:
Wetherspoons employees could go and retrain as almost anything and it would be an improvement in skill levels.

The above is more offensive than the ad you are discussing... the reason being you are deliberately saying it to be negative, unlike the ad, which is actually trying to be positive... :roll:

Nope it all starts from the reasonable assumption that HMG thinks its supporters value down market boozers more than the arts.
lobstaboy liked this
By johnm
A4 Pacific wrote:
Philistines should not be allowed to decide anything

For the beneficiary of such charity, I confess to being a little embarrassed for you.

Don't be. I'm just a cantankerous old man getting very tired of watching the country I loved and was proud to be part of slide into the abyss :(