For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Jim Jones wrote:I cannot find any peer reviewed evidence that falling from a height increases the risk of trauma. :scratch: :scratch:

Well you havent looked very hard and obviously have never worked outside an office :

https://www.dropsonline.org/resources-and-guidance/drops-calculator/e-drops-calculator/

:wink:
@nallen I still say that you’re in ducking stool operative territory, seeing what you want to see;

nallen wrote:And I'm saying this ignores the many caveats in the Danish paper, and I'm saying (again) that what the Danish study actually said is:

[eltonioni snipped]

This is an important bit;
Limitation:

Inconclusive results, missing data, variable adherence, patient-reported findings on home tests, no blinding, and no assessment of whether masks could decrease disease transmission from mask wearers to others.

My bold.

The report has nothing to say on wearing masks to reduce spread. As the profs say, there is no evidence.
A surprising number of folk don't seem to comprehend the ideas behind risk assessment and mitigation.

It's all about highlighting risk and looking at practical ways in which that risk might be mitigated.

So if we know that there is a risk that infected persons might emit droplets and aerosols and that these might be inhaled by others nearby, a face covering that reduces the range of spread of those droplets and aerosols makes perfect sense.

Keeping a significant distance apart has similar risk mitigation benefits as does keeping surfaces and hands clean if we know droplets might survive and be picked up and spread
eltonioni wrote: There is no evidence according to “experts”.

It genuinely depends which experts you listen to. Opinion amongst them is divided and no definitive study exists.

That being the case, erring on the side of caution seems like sensible risk mitigation to me.

Rob P
eltonioni, johnm, JAFO and 2 others liked this
skydriller wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:I cannot find any peer reviewed evidence that falling from a height increases the risk of trauma. :scratch: :scratch:

Well you havent looked very hard and obviously have never worked outside an office :

https://www.dropsonline.org/resources-and-guidance/drops-calculator/e-drops-calculator/

Ah, but has that tool been tested empirically, in vivo, with human subjects, with all participants blinded? A peer review is essential of course. ...
johnm, JAFO liked this
Jim Jones wrote:
skydriller wrote:

Ah, but has that tool been tested empirically, in vivo, with human subjects, with all participants blinded? A peer review is essential of course. ...

Anyone can do their own peer review of falls at Beachy Head, with conclusive results. :eye:
As many know I am a fan of protest, even if misguided, however when the protest might result in injury to innocent folk it is a bit of a different issue. Lockdown protests that include mask wearing and/or distancing I can just about accept, but with no sensible precautions at all, then no.
johnm wrote:As many know I am a fan of protest, even if misguided, however when the protest might result in injury to innocent folk it is a bit of a different issue. Lockdown protests that include mask wearing and/or distancing I can just about accept, but with no sensible precautions at all, then no.

That all looked pretty relaxed, peacefull and generally socially distanced to me. Much more so than the BLM protests during the summer.
The German police were using water cannon on concerned citizens yesterday.

Saying No to Boris was one thing that Theresa May got right in her time as Home Sec'.

@johnm how does an outdoor protest pose any special C19 transmission danger? You're doing the magical miasma thing again.
Last edited by eltonioni on Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnm wrote:As many know I am a fan of protest, even if misguided, however when the protest might result in injury to innocent folk it is a bit of a different issue. Lockdown protests that include mask wearing and/or distancing I can just about accept, but with no sensible precautions at all, then no.

Are you in favour of a complete news blackout on protests which do not comply with government mandates?
flybymike wrote:

Are you in favour of a complete news blackout on protests which do not comply with government mandates?

No, I am strongly in favour of open information censorship is undesirable and now pretty well impossible.
kanga, eltonioni liked this