For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
MachFlyer wrote:I had AZ jab last week and was quite poorly for 24 hours. Chills, sweating and generally “fluey”. I thought it must be because I’ve got other things going on but it appears to be quite common with the AZ jab from what I’ve seen.

Same here but it does give me confidence that it has done the trick and I most likely have antibodies.
The actual jab seemed quicker and less noticeable than the flu jab so much so I wondered whether it had actually happened.
MachFlyer, JAFO, kanga liked this
This is concerning (from The Times today) -

"Germany’s vaccination programme is in trouble, with people failing to keep appointments if they are going to be given the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine.

Only 150,000 out of 1.5 million doses of the vaccine had been used on Friday, threatening to derail what is already a flagging national inoculation plan. Whereas Britain has vaccinated more than 26 per cent of its population, Germany has managed less than 6 per cent.

At the Tegel vaccination centres in Berlin, which give only the AstraZeneca product, fewer than 200 people are turning up for the 3,800 daily appointments.

The vaccine’s reputation has been undermined by briefings against the jabs by politicians from across Europe and by a decision in Germany not to use the vaccine for the over-65s, despite the European Medicines Agency having approved it to be given to all adults."

Regards

Mike
Interesting to see that German efficiency has feet of clay ..............Not many countries seem to have done a great job of pandemic management overall. Time for some soul searching methinks....
I would have preferred to have the Pfizer vaccine but was still very grateful to get my first AZ a week ago. I had a measurable fever with aching muscles and a bit of nausea for 2 days, so hope that indicates something good. (Though perhaps that was the reaction to the adenovirus vector rather than the spike protein). I don't normally get a bad reaction to flu jabs, nor to the over 65 Pneumovax I had late last year, so I was a bit surprised.

Mrs Dodo had the Pfizer jab, (different vaccine centre/risk group) and was fine for 2 days then fatigue, muscle aches and brain fog for 3 days but no fever.
I had AZ and had a 24 hr reaction of mild fatigue, no fever. My daughters have both had Pfizer and had a similar reaction, one had it after her second jab.
Ignoring the source! this is a good article on why side effects like we are reporting are good.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-9263327/Why-effects-Covid-jab-actually-good-thing.html
Completely by chance, my parents and I (33) all had the AZ jab on the same day. I didn't feel a thing until about 36 hours after, when I had quite a sort arm and a very noticeable "bump" at the injection site: 10 days later I can still feel it. My mum (69) had exactly the same response, whereas my dad (65) had an awful night the day he had the jab, feverish, trembling, achey flu like symptoms, but then was totally fine after that.

Think it's pot luck how you react :think:
rogerb liked this
It is interesting how different people have reacted to the same vaccine. I had a slightly tender shoulder, a bit like a bruise, at the site of the injection for a few days but absolutely nothing else. My wife had the same AZ jab and suffered bad fatigue for a couple of days. Friends had feverish shivering for a day and a night after the same AZ vaccine. I had put the latter down to both being on several other medications but now suspect it wasn't that at all, just part of the lottery of reactions. It does make me wonder if those like me who had no reaction have achieved any benefit from the vaccine? :( How would we tell?

I'll probably now be bed-ridden after the second dose for saying that. :lol:

PW
Propwash wrote: It does make me wonder if those like me who had no reaction have achieved any benefit from the vaccine? :( How would we tell?

I'll probably now be bed-ridden after the second dose for saying that. :lol:

PW

I hope you're not.

You can tell by getting a blood test; but that is given the numbers not practical, and in the grand scheme of things also not necessary, we know there are non-responders.

People's immune systems vary as do the responses, that is why there is such a varied response to the real thing too - from nothing to the ultimate response with very much everything in between.
Propwash, Rob P, kanga and 1 others liked this
Thanks, FD. Which makes the question posed by map5623 interesting.
map5623 wrote:I would be interested to know if reaction to the 'jab' is related to the effect catching covid19 in the first place.
The worse the reaction the worse catching covid19 might be?

Is it likely that the reaction experienced by individuals to the vaccine in anyway mirrors the probable reaction they would have to Covid infection, or is it just irrelevant?

PW