For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
shortstripper wrote:I'd volunteer if I wasn't so busy in the day job as a farmer ....

I'm very experienced in the vaccinating game and can literally jab hundreds an hour. I only stop now and then to wipe the needle if dirty or to replace it if it gets bent. :D :twisted: :wink: :lol: :thumleft:

SS

We reckoned our 'flying vet' could give the horse it's jab while it and his Forester were still moving.

Sad footnote: he had to end his career after a ski-ing accident.
shortstripper liked this
Robin500 wrote:Given a choice would you have one of the nMRA vaccines, or the AZ ?

I'd have either.

I'm counted as front line, still waiting my call.

As we see a lot of people with existing poor health who don't engage with other services very well,; have established protocols, skills and facilities for hepatitis immunisation, it would make good sense for us to be offering immunisations of the Oxford vaccine to those people- one to stop them getting it, and another to stop them spreading it to the deprived communities from which they come.

I'm not holding my breath on that one
T6Harvard liked this
By Flying_john
Local health centre had a hiccup yesterday and prepared too much Pfizer vaccine, so put out a facebook call for anyone that wanted it, to form an orderly Q. Apparently the Q was half a mile long.

So my daughter Q'd and got her first shot. So thats one family member done, only 5 to go !
MikeB, PeteSpencer liked this
By flybymike
it would make good sense for us to be offering immunisations of the Oxford vaccine to those people- one to stop them getting it, and another to stop them spreading it to the deprived communities from which they come.

It has been suggested that having the vaccine will not prevent further transmission of the virus.

The vaccine cannot give you COVID-19 infection, and a full course will reduce your chance of becoming seriously ill. We do not yet know whether it will stop you from catching and passing on the virus,

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... his%20risk.
Pete L wrote:..our 'flying vet' ...

other flying vets are, of course, available .. :?

[pace an interesting small ad in the last issue of the LAA magazine :) ]
Charles Hunt liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Robin500 wrote:For those on immuno suppressants such as Sulfasalazine and Methotrexate for RA, would the AZ be considered the safest option.

For people on medication such as the ones you mention, the only sensible place to get an answer to that is from their treating physician.

In general - and not as answer to your question - those who are immunosuppressed are normally OK with vaccinations as long as their are not of the live-attenuated version.

Would I have the COVID vaccination - yes, which sort, I don't care and happy to let others go ahead before me as I have had COVID a few weeks ago. As things stand the advice is to still be vaccinated.
kanga, MikeB, T6Harvard liked this
By skydriller
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:happy to let others go ahead before me as I have had COVID a few weeks ago. As things stand the advice is to still be vaccinated.

Ive heard this said elsewhere but without any further info. Why is that? The advice to be vaccinated anyway, I mean. If you have had C19, do you not already have antibodies in the same way that a vaccine gets you to produce antibodies? Why are those that have previously tested positive for C19 not being put into a "vaccinate later/last" group?

Regards, SD..
JAFO liked this
skydriller wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:happy to let others go ahead before me as I have had COVID a few weeks ago. As things stand the advice is to still be vaccinated.

Ive heard this said elsewhere but without any further info. Why is that? The advice to be vaccinated anyway, I mean. If you have had C19, do you not already have antibodies in the same way that a vaccine gets you to produce antibodies? Why are those that have previously tested positive for C19 not being put into a "vaccinate later/last" group?

Regards, SD..

This is helpful, and not too technical.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/antibodi ... on-5092564

As Frank says though, no one knows for sure yet.
By PeteSpencer
And yet the paradox is that serum from recovered covid patients is being used as an infusion to promote passive immunity in seriously ill Covid patients .Recovery is often remarkably swift following this.

Inducing passive immunity in this way is a well known and proven method of buying time to allow sick patients’ own immune systems to ´catch up’. In other serious viral illnesses. The infused ‘passive’ antibodies are short lived in the sick patients’ bodies but allow their own immunity to ‘catch up’.

So yes, it is a puzzle that recovered covid patients are to be vaccinated.

Probably to do with a variable degree of antibody production in individual COVID patients, maybe related to their initial infecting viral load .

Disclaimer I’m not a virologist . :wink:
eltonioni liked this
PeteSpencer wrote: Disclaimer I’m not a virologist . :wink:

You do yourself a disservice Pete. Everyone is a virologist now, and an epidemiologist and data scientist too.