For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I would expect serious academics to publish their views in an academic paper, not a weekly or daily fish and chips wrapper.

A bit like this then.

https://www.zoo.ox.ac.uk/people/profess ... ab-1868336

A focused-protection vaccination strategy: why we should not target children with COVID-19 vaccination policy
August 2021 | Journal article | Journal of Medical Ethics
Fatal COVID-19 outcomes are associated with an antibody response targeting epitopes shared with endemic coronaviruses
May 2021 | Journal article
Real-time seroprevalence and exposure levels of emerging pathogens in infection-naive host populations.
March 2021 | Journal article | Scientific reports
The antigenic anatomy of SARS-CoV-2 receptor binding domain.
February 2021 | Journal article | Cell
Potential impact of individual exposure histories to endemic human coronaviruses on age-dependent severity of COVID-19.
January 2021 | Journal article | BMC medicine
Convalescent plasma therapy for the treatment of patients with COVID-19: Assessment of methods available for antibody detection and their correlation with neutralising antibody levels.
December 2020 | Journal article | Transfusion medicine (Oxford, England)
Leveraging Epidemiological Principles to Evaluate Sweden's COVID-19 Response.
November 2020 | Journal article | Annals of epidemiology
Detection of neutralising antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 to determine population exposure in Scottish blood donors between March and May 2020
October 2020 | Journal article | EUROSURVEILLANCE

(Not sure why you are talking about Sikora. My post above didn’t mention him)
By Flyin'Dutch'
1. Because they are on 'Team Sikora' - tell me who you go with and will tell you who you are.
2. Those are indeed publications in scientific papers, albeit more than half of those were not published by Gupta and in none of the once in which she published was she first or second author.
By StratoTramp
eltonioni wrote:On topic, the Aussies have really got it bad, checking that people are actually drinking coffee when they have masks down outdoors

It is nuts isn't it. Why don't we just let Xi take over :roll:
Last edited by StratoTramp on Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flybymike, Charles Hunt liked this
flybymike wrote:Far too lax.
In France you can’t even buy a coffee without a state permissive passport.

Somewhat similar the other side of the ch'ti-land frontier, but heavily dependent on the region.

Latest monthly instalment of "let's confuse the population by changing the rules again" came into force here at the weekend.

In Brussels region - you have to have a "Covid Safety Kit" - basically proof of vaccine, or recent infection etc just to get into a bar/cafe/sports centre/resto etc. I just walked into the kids hockey clubs canteen, had my vaccine QR code scanned. If an inspection happens, it is the owners who get fined quite a lot if there's clients with no "safety kit".

About 150 meters away in Flanders, nothing is required.
flybymike liked this
By GrahamB

Ça dépend.

On our recent trip we had a breakfast in a ‘Paul’, two lunches out and picked up takeaway pizzas twice without needing to show evidence.

Nor did we when booking into our overnight stop hotels.

But it really wasn’t a big deal flashing the app when we did need to.
Colin Powell - whilst many were deep into dishonesty deficit in the Dubya administration, he at least “tried” to keep honourable.

Unlike many MAGA draft dodging “heel spur” victims (let’s see them remission x-rays Big D), or “Home Guard Draft Dodging Pilots” (big shout out to Dubya) - Powell was on the front line.

Maybe that’s what toned down his personal war-pig “general” tendency?
Flyin'Dutch', kanga liked this
By flybymike
GrahamB wrote:

A bigger deal for the unvaccinated who wanted food and drink, but then I suppose they’re not really entitled to such luxuries anyway.
By GrahamB
flybymike wrote:
GrahamB wrote:

A bigger deal for the unvaccinated who wanted food and drink, but then I suppose they’re not really entitled to such luxuries anyway.

What bollox. Food and drink is freely available to all in shops, supermarkets and open air markets.

Those that want to eat and drink indoors in public places can choose to be vaccinated or get a test done in their local pharmacy.
JAFO liked this
By flybymike
Ah, sorry. I didn’t appreciate that it only applied to eating indoors in public places, in which case I don’t understand why police are checking those eating outdoors in this video.

Delighted to hear though that food and drink are available to purchase at indoor supermarkets and shops, but still baffled why apparently not allowed in outdoor cafes which by any criteria is illogical let alone immoral.