For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung reporting study that shows that well adjusted FP2/KN95 masks reduce the risk of getting C19 from an infected person when spending 20 mins in a room to 1/1000 poorly adjusted mask to 1/25 and the 'surgical' one to 1/10.

Home made ones are not acceptable for any situation where a mask is required here.

https://www.faz.net/-gqe-aioc2
Paultheparaglider, eltonioni, JAFO and 2 others liked this
By nallen
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung reporting study that shows that well adjusted FP2/KN95 masks reduce the risk of getting C19 from an infected person when spending 20 mins in a room to 1/1000 poorly adjusted mask to 1/25 and the 'surgical' one to 1/10.

Home made ones are not acceptable for any situation where a mask is required here.

https://www.faz.net/-gqe-aioc2

Source paper here: https://www.pnas.org/content/118/49/e2110117118

And a handy commentary in English (complete with video of steaming mannikin head!) from the researchers' institute here: https://www.mpg.de/17916867/coronavirus-masks-risk-protection
MikeB liked this
So, Omicron is doing its thing regardless of efforts to hold it back.

Notable that Scotland, with its mask mandates, Covid passports and a mere 10% of the UK population has a third of today's new cases.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-nin ... 6-12488355
Miscellaneous wrote:
eltonioni wrote:Notable that Scotland, with its mask mandates, Covid passports and a mere 10% of the UK population has a third of today's new cases.

Oh I think it would be safe to assume there are more in both countries than have been positively identified. :wink:

Very true! I wasn't suggesting for a moment that Scotland was doing worse, or better, than England. :thumright:

These will be interesting graphs to keep an eye on in the next week or two as Omicrom pushes aside Delta / Delta+.
StratoTramp, flybymike liked this
a genuinely positive story (unlike, perhaps, my last which cited anticipated gist of Prof Gilbert's Dimbleby lecture :? ):

One of the positions at our vaccination centre monitors the seats where jabbees are advised to sit for 15 minutes in case of any unwellness (whether rare side-effects of the vaccine or unconnected) before they leave. There is always a doctor and one of the jabbing nurses designated to attend to any such. It happens very rarely. We then wipe down the chairs before they are reoccupied.

On my last shift there was a sprightly lady on her 15 minute rest after her 'booster' who told me she was 'nearly 100'. She had been a Red Cross VAD nurse in South London during the war (through Blitz and V1s/V2s). She was cheerful and optmistic, thought life was so much better these days, and thanked me for our efforts. :)
T6Harvard, johnm, MikeB and 4 others liked this
By johnm
Bill McCarthy wrote:Abandon all other news, scrub round worrying about the new variant virus, panic instead about whether or not there was a party at No.10 !

Given that folk in Ilford are up before the beak facing a £10,000 fine for a party on the same evening I think there is some public interest in the facts here in fairness. We are entitled to expect that those who make the rules set an example and abide by them diligently.

For the avoidance of doubt this is not a direct political issue as I understand it. It was primarily staff not Ministers who are under suspicion, though the attendee list is not known AFAIK
johnm wrote:.. not a direct political issue as I understand it. It was primarily staff not Ministers who are under suspicion, though the attendee list is not known AFAIK

.. except that since early '80s, and much more in recent years, the 'staff'* at #10 have been, especially in senior policy and managerial posts, direct appointments by the incumbent PM rather than from the Civil Service. To my way of thinking, this does make their ethos and consequent behaviour something of a reflection of the PM who appointed them or approved their appointment.

*(except junior domestic and administrative - eg those who used to be described dismissively by Ministers, eg in Memoirs, as the 'garden girls' because they were overwhelmingly females in Clerical grades and worked in the 'garden room' at the back)
johnm liked this
By johnm
I have heard it said that people who have been infected with Delta and recovered can still be infected with Omicron but that severity of disease is reduced by vaccination in both cases.

I can't offer a serious citation for that as yet.......
By StratoTramp
BoJo won't survive (politically) locking us down again (-17.2% satisfaction currently). This about lines up with my estimation of him. I am so disappointed. Wrote to my MP (Mad Nad) ages back saying if they bring in domestic vaccine passports I am never voting for them again. "Never" is a long time tbh. Her case worker must be pretty fed up with me :lol: I cancelled my membership when they were mooted (for even considering it). Can faintly hear the grinding sounds of 1922 whetstones in the background.

Can't believe I'm back on side with Theresa - Paraphrasing "Can't stop and start everything down at every new variant. Cannot base all UK policy around protecting the NHS." especially now when the world is so different to the start.

@PeteSpencer

I "know" someone (loosely!) who had two variants at the same time in beginning concomitantly. This was before vaccines. Did knock her for 6 was a diabetic. Not looked into it since but covid directly / indirectly was doing some very weird stuff with her blood sugar.

Though she did host a party for 40 just before right at the start when they were properly outlawed (even when I wouldn't have one). So reap what you sow. Co-morbities + extra fast and loose with the rules.

I think you would have to be quite unlucky. Somewhere in the middle of the omicron takeover.
Last edited by StratoTramp on Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big party on Saturday and am expecting to catch the lurgy for a second time and out of the way for Christmas.

Life will go on for most of us.

In other news, there's a challenge to the ongoing oppressive and nonsensical legal situation. It will make a fascinating counterpoint to the rumours that a Christmas "Plan B" lockdown and Covid passports are being proposed to distract everyone from Downing Street parties in 2020.

An international law firm is launching a judicial review into the UK's hotel quarantine policy, which has once again been made mandatory for all arrivals from "high-risk" countries.

Tom Goodhead, managing partner of PGMBM, argues that it should be unlawful for fully vaccinated travellers who have tested negative for the virus to be "detained in this way" when entering Britain from one of the 11 African countries now on the red list. PGMBM will seek permission at the High Court on Thursday.

"The idea that they need to pay for the privilege of their own false imprisonment is outrageous," Goodhead told the BBC. "It is for this reason that we are taking the UK Government to court."

It comes after a British couple stranded in South Africa this week when there was no room available at a UK quarantine hotel launched a legal challenge calling on the Government to fund the costs, describing the situation a "fundamental breach of human rights".

Yesterday saw the World Health Organisation, the United Nations World Tourism Organisation, and even the Archbishop of Canterbury, calling for the travel red list to be scrapped.
Last edited by eltonioni on Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
StratoTramp liked this
By StratoTramp
Had our main work one on the 27th. It felt a bit early but I moved it forwards as can't trust we won't be bounced into unnecessary restrictions, or be made to work from home scattering some of the group not that it is possible for us all.

We are maybe doing another smaller one next week. Even the guys with underlying health conditions aren't really anxious anymore. One of them has organised the second :lol: