For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Propwash wrote:Ever seen the film Soylent Green, Peter? :wink:

PW

Don’t go to the movies much : when I do its grandchildren stuff .

But TBH Soylent Green doesn’t seem to reflect reality:

A nightmarish futuristic fantasy about the controlling power of big corporations and an innocent cop who stumbles on the truth.

So , sorry , relevance escapes me :wink:
By PeteSpencer
@Propwash Apols: I thought I'd posted this but just found it 'saved' on my laptop so a bit out of sequence.

Propwash wrote:Interesting though how many individual jabs I was offered last year in a very short period of time. 70 seems to be a magic number for the NHS :( I do wonder if accepting them all is really a healthy thing for the body, but what do I know?

PW

That's the whole point, isn't it?

You either trust those whose life's work is to strive to improve general and individual health care , or you don't.

Peter :wink:
By Flyin'Dutch'
@Propwash

We know that people with an immune system issue are more at risk of getting shingles as are those who are stressed due to events, but the exact mechanism is not known (to me at least!)

What I do know is that especially in older folks (sorry!) it can be a debilitating illness in itself and the ravages it can cause to parts of the nerve system are serious and lead to amongst others, blindness and intractable post herpetic pain.

I am going to get it when I have grown up.
Colonel Panic, MikeB liked this
PeteSpencer wrote:That's the whole point, isn't it?

You either trust those whose life's work is to strive to improve general and individual health care , or you don't.

Peter :wink:

It’s not that I distrust the NHS, Pete, or the people who work in it, because I do. I’ve seen enough of their work first hand to respect it and them. My point, from a purely lay perspective, is the theories I have read about the causes of Gulf War Syndrome being the overloading of troop’s immune systems by multiple vaccinations over a short period of time. It just made me wonder if I really want all the jabs I have been offered within a few days of each other. I can’t now remember every one, but certainly flu, shingles, pneumonia and something else featured last autumn at the very least. It just seemed a bit much for someone who has always resisted taking any drugs of any kind unless absolutely necessary.

Maybe I am just struggling to come to terms with the reality that I am now officially an old wrinkly. :lol:

FD,

Thanks for that. As said, now I’ve had both jabs for COVID I’ll certainly take it if offered again this year.

PW
By johnm
Happy to be a pin cushion but don’t get invitations despite my advancing years. It’s probably because I never bothered with the flu vaccine until last year when I thought I should minimise the risk of becoming a burden on the NHS.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Propwash wrote: It just made me wonder if I really want all the jabs I have been offered within a few days of each other. I can’t now remember every one, but certainly flu, shingles, pneumonia and something else featured last autumn at the very least. It just seemed a bit much for someone who has always resisted taking any drugs of any kind unless absolutely necessary.

Point of order - Vaccines are not considered to be drugs!

The issue of multiple vaccines being offered to the immune system might 'overload it' is not uncommon amongst the vaccine weary I encounter in daily practise.

I point out to them that the immune system is one of constant surveillance, detection and destroying incoming threats, most of the time without the owner not even noticing its good work. Every day we are exposed to multiple hostile pathogens through the air we breathe, the food we eat, our own internal gubbins and that is before we take into consideration the work it is doing by detecting way ward body cells wanting to go off on a journey of their own and become a variety of cancers and other unpleansantries.

Two or more vaccines - which are after all in the main just parts of those pathogens we want the immune system to learn is really nothing of a challenge.
Propwash, kanga, MikeE and 2 others liked this
By PeteSpencer
MattL wrote:Had all of our kids chickenpox vaccinated. I could never understand why they didn’t do it on the NHS, it’s a horrible illness (doc said it was a cost benefit thing)

Our kids went to 'chicken pox parties’ in the 80s:

Well it was Norfolk................. :roll:

Edit : memo to self - proof read before hitting the ‘kin ‘submit’ button- :roll:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By johnm
I managed to survive measles, whooping cough, chicken pox and mumps. I also avoided scarlet fever and rubella and was one of the early recipients of diphtheria and polio vaccination.
12 April BBC Europe summary:

"There are moves to ease restrictions in parts of Europe but the third wave is hitting many countries hard.

A Dutch travel firm is flying nearly 200 people to Greece for an eight-day holiday, to test whether tourism is feasible during the pandemic. Travellers won't be allowed to leave the resort on the island of Rhodes, not even for a swim. The all-inclusive trip costs €399 (£344; $472) per person. They will be tested for Covid before and after the trip and must quarantine for at least five days when they return. The Dutch government advises against all non-essential overseas travel but approved this trip as an experiment

Romania’s cash-strapped, struggling hospitals have only six intensive care beds free nationally, health minister Vlad Voiculescu warns. The authorities say 13,500 Covid-19 patients are in hospital, 1,531 of them in intensive care, the Romania Libera daily reports. Each ICU bed when fully equipped costs about €60,000 - about as much as a luxury car

Italy is easing its lockdown, including in its worst-hit region of Lombardy in the north. The regions are designated “orange”, instead of “red”, under the traffic-light system for coronavirus intensity. Now people face fewer travel curbs and shops can reopen, but there is still no indoor dining in bars and restaurants

France is expanding its vaccinations to all those aged 55 and above. They will receive the AstraZeneca or Johnson & Johnson vaccine. So far France has prioritised healthcare workers and care homes. Just over 16% of French adults have been vaccinated. French ICUs have 5,769 Covid patients, and the total capacity is 8,000 ICU beds. "
eltonioni wrote:The UK should put the Nightingales to good use and start flying cases in for treatment PDQ.

As in 1944 ? :)

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/blog/flying-nightingales/
https://www.rafblakehillfarm.co.uk/blak ... ghtingales

:salut:
eltonioni liked this