For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We now have a range of effective vaccines each of which (AIUI) can be tweaked as new variants come along.

The big question now is how do we get the global population vaccinated and how do we resource the administration of periodical booster doses which it seems might well be needed.

Some interesting challenges lie ahead......
You're both right but I think the first step is that we stop kidding ourselves that under 30's are going to start flock ing* to UK vaccine centres.

First thing Monday morning those UK doses need to be put on aeroplanes and sent where they really are needed right now from Myanmar to Mali.

The same goes for the planned booster jabs that the rest of us think we should be getting this autumn. We need to plan to forgo our luxury top-ups for the time being and get the rest of the world vaccinated - even Australia.

* f l o c k i n g is in the swearbox? :lol:

In fact, especially Australia, because in other news:
Covid could be spread through flatulence, say ministers

The source said there had been evidence of a "genomical-linked tracing connection between two individuals from a [lavatory] cubicle in Australia."

Healthy people tend to break wind between five to 25 times a day, and testing has found that SARS-CoV-2 can be present in faecal material.

The risk of spreading Covid this way is thought to be less, however, because wearing underpants and clothes below the waist would act to filter out harmful particles in the same way a face mask can.

Suggestions of spreading the virus through flatulence first emerged in Australia last year when Norman Swan, an Australian medic, advised on an ABC podcast: "No bare-bottom farting."

By flybymike
You must have a point but I'm afraid I missed it.

The benefit of an education.

They have had months of disruption to their education. Now an official study suggests that forcing hundreds of thousands of schoolchildren to self-isolate because a classmate had Covid was unnecessary as daily testing would have been as effective. The results of the work by Oxford University have emerged on the last day of term for most schools - at a time when more than a million pupils are off because of the virus. It found that 98.4 per cent of children who were sent home for 10 days never went on to develop Covid, a result set to anger parents and pupils who have been forced to stay at home needlessly. The Telegraph is running a campaign calling on ministers to put children first.
Last edited by flybymike on Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry if it's been mentioned before but I really can't be ars... bothered to read back, it would seem the kids are sharing on TikTok how to spoof the tests to be sent home from school. I'm sure the teachers view these also.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By johnm
I see you are quoting the comments of the cretin masquerading as a Health Secretary. While it is true that healthy vaccinated folk just need to take sensible disease control precautions there are some seriously vulnerable folk about who might well still need to "cower" and he should be more aware of that than most........
kanga liked this
By johnm
Charles Hunt wrote:I took it to mean society as a whole where we have been on the back foot, but now thanks to vaccines we can change our mindset and start to move forward to the bright uplands.

Can I have some of what you've been using please :D

Some of us have never been on the back foot, we've just been trying to do sensible risk assessment and management, which is what some of us do all the time.
kanga liked this
@johnm so why do you continually criticise other people for doing the same as you?

Perhaps it's because that time and time again we've been fed 'facts' or 'data' that are no such thing but to some folk (perhaps like you) they have become touchstones that enable them to do as they think to be right rather than what facts and data support. A bit like the 2016 Event.

In other news:
flybymike liked this
Rob P wrote:
eltonioni wrote: A bit like the 2016 Event.

I know I am going to regret asking this, but what 2016 event?

Rob P

Precisely, and regret nothing! :lol:
By Flyin'Dutch'
eltonioni wrote:Image

In both previous waves the number of patients in hospitals started to decline before the peak of new cases had happened.

Will be interesting to see if that happens again.

In other news, there is some additional money available to get people back to the high street. Must be good news.

Extra dosh for every council to stimulate the high street