For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Propwash wrote: I am, however, humble enough to be very grateful the necessary decisions weren't down to me.

PW

As a former, from what I have read between the lines, big police cheese, like you at the helm I am sure we would have been better off.

And as a point of order - my disdain is not for the UK, at all.

I have a disdain for the UK political system as what it turns out is way below what the UK population dissolves; ditto what happens in the US. But we are not going to discuss that as there is 0/nil/nul point in that.
I was more of a moderate crumb than a big cheese. :lol:

And you won't find a bigger critic of politicians than me, and not just in the UK but globally. Statesmen and women seem to have all but disappeared.

Despite PtP's rather unfortunate interpretation of what I was trying to ask, however, I am genuinely interested in trying to find a country which handled the pandemic in a way that could provide a template for us should we face another one, because we undoubtedly made mistakes. Every country has unique features of course, and what is appropriate for one may not be for us; you can't just ignore economic and social factors either. Even countries like Australia, in many ways a mirror image of us in its institutions etc, may find that although it may have avoided excessive deaths it has stored up potential constitutional problems for the future. The previously harmonious relations between its states have been severely strained by the actions and statements of some state premiers and slamming shut not just its international border but the internal ones too. We'll have to wait and see if the splits fully heal. Social protests against various measures have seen some ugly responses from the authorities that might take some time to erase from memories too. I would be horrified to witness it here. Ironically, the provision of furlough money and vaccines may have had the opposite effect in the UK with people who had flirted with independence recognising the value of the UK Treasury. Again, time will tell.

So the question hangs there: to whom should we look for lessons? And success can't just be measured in death or infection rates. I personally fear it may be many years before we can fully judge the effects of the pandemic, and effectiveness of the measures to counter it in different places and how that shapes their futures

Hope that clears up my position. :wink:

Mods: I hope I didn't stray too close to the line in para 3 but it needs to be read in context. :thumright:

PW
Flyin'Dutch', flybymike liked this
Well, for a start, I wouldn’t hold up China as a model of how to deal with an emerging pandemic. They suppressed / delayed the truth about the developing outbreak and I think many countries would take a dim view of the “covid police” descending on the unsuspecting miscreants, being frog marched away and bundled into a van to end up, who knows where.
flybymike liked this
By skydriller
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I personally think that it is more useful to compare data from countries with similar population densities and economic, medical and social parameters.

I agree. Similarly, I wonder at differences in testing rates if we compare covid rates between countries - and why are people being tested?

In the last year I have personally had at least 20 or more (so many Ive lost count) UK tests that have been officially recorded - all negative. By contrast, I actually live in france and have had a grand total of 4 tests...also all negative. I know of several work colleagues who have been tested in the same way as myself in the UK and been surprised to be +ve because they have zero symptoms. I do wonder if there is an element of "search and ye shall find".

Regards, SD..
Flyingfemme, flybymike liked this
By johnm
The number of cases across the population is useful as it provides trend data, the bigger the tested population the better the data within reason. so as things stand the UK has a reasonable of view of the scale of the pandemic and its stability from the case rate.

That linked with hospital admissions, hospital residency and deaths allows a sensible risk assessment.

We could continue with more precautions like mask wearing at indoor events and in shops and many are, even though it's now volountary, and that will help with risk management as will broadening vaccination.

As we see more indoor events in the run up to Christmas it'll be interesting to watch the numbers..........whether we have a Happy New Year is still in the lap of the God's to some degree....

The good news is that all the supply chain nonsense doesn't affect us, we don't buy crappy Chinese toys for the grandchildren and all our food is locally sourced. We do have electric ovens though..........perhaps I should have the BBQ in reserve :-)