For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
@Spooky - interesting article.

It sadly doesn’t surprise me.

1. journalism has for a long time lost contact with its core principles.
2. Generation Z are morally - totally lost. That’s not a judgement or value statement, merely an observation.
3. Millennials + GenZ are quite simply terrified to publicly hold a quite logical, but counter- “woke” argument.

I have zero problem saying that journalists are lazy p 1ssheads, that youngsters have no clue what they’re talking about and in my day my “faither wid hiv skelpt ma lugs” if I’d said what’s been said today by some quite clearly uninformed Tweenies.

That just reinforces the age/logic divide though…

Age - fair enough - I’m still the same annoying tawt I was 35 years ago - just 35 years older (and maybe a tiny bit wiser, but judge is out in that one).

Logic - I’ve only gotten more evidence based and method strong over the years.

I admit I’m a young old phart - but why does it seem to me that nobody is publicly pushing scientific method any more???
Flyin'Dutch', Flyingfemme, Spooky and 1 others liked this
As a mitigation of the generally downbeat postings on this thread, I will offer a couple of better (again, overseas) stories from today:

"Covid Australia: Sydney celebrates end of 107-day lockdown"

"..Queensland, Western Australia, South Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory have remained virus-free after shutting their borders to infected states..."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-58866464

.. and, as a reminder that there are other lethal diseases out there:

"Malaria vaccine 'will change African lives forever' "

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-58848721
Flyin'Dutch', johnm, MikeB liked this
Flyingfemme wrote:Because truth is not absolute any more - it's relative.

…clearly, you absolutely have to meet my relatives!! (done in my best Morticia Addams voice)

And repeating something over and over "makes it true" as far as many people are concerned.[/quote]

What? Like “Saddam - 9/11”…

That’s a sound bite that most Millenials and GenZ won’t have an effin clue about, but a “big fat lie” that had - and continues to have - staggeringly significant geopolitical impact. :evil:

(Sorry - last part far too political…but I did try to balance it out with a joke!)
Flyingfemme, rogerb liked this
Just noticed that this thread is a year old (plus a few days) and not donked. So we CAN behave like grown ups :D

In October 2020 eltonioni wrote:Not so much a thought experiment as a peek into the future.

Assuming that there's no useful vaccine, what's the exit strategy from this Covid mess for families, the economy, society, education, government... everything?

Anyway, I thought that I’d celebrate by saying that it’s all over, along with the shouting, the vulnerable have been protected, and everyone is getting back to what passes as normal, apart from poor old Wales (and Scotland). :thumleft:

I hope that none of us have suffered a tragedy that might not have been half expected in normal times. Have we learned any major life lessons which aren’t partisan, personal, or political?
flybymike, Spooky liked this
eltonioni wrote:J

Anyway, I thought that I’d celebrate by saying that it’s all over, along with the shouting, the vulnerable have been protected, and everyone is getting back to what passes as normal, apart from poor old Wales (and Scotland). :thumleft:

I hope that none of us have suffered a tragedy that might not have been half expected in normal times. Have we learned any major life lessons which aren’t partisan, personal, or political?

How do you come to that conclusion with cases and deaths both up and Monday reporting having always been low!
7 day totals are 265,000 positive tests and 780 deaths "with".
kanga, JAFO liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
This is far from over it’s barely under control in the UK and in the wider world outside Europe it’s still a major problem

For only the second time in history MrsJohnm and I will be booking in for flu jabs this week and expect to be summoned for a Covid booster at some point
@malcolmfrost It's straightforward enough Malcolm. If we're looking at how far we've come since the thread started, on that day:

A further 14,162 lab-confirmed cases of coronavirus in the UK, have been validated.

The latest results bring the total number of cases in the UK to 544,275.

The Government also said a further 70 people had died within 28 days of testing positive for Covid-19 as of Wednesday. This brings the UK total to 42,515.
https://www.itv.com/news/2020-10-07/uk- ... single-day

The disease is well behind the drag curve.

As a nation, it's not something to be worried about any more, individual tragedies excepted and expected. As individuals, on average, it was never something to be especially worried about albeit with elderly, obese, immunocompromised, co-morbidity tragedies excepted and expected.
johnm wrote:This is far from over it’s barely under control in the UK and in the wider world outside Europe it’s still a major problem

For only the second time in history MrsJohnm and I will be booking in for flu jabs this week and expect to be summoned for a Covid booster at some point

In an ideal world you would be better forgoing your Covid booster jab, because as you say, it's desperately needed elsewhere in the world. Perhaps you could encourage your XR Brethren to turn their attention to that very pressing issue.
flybymike liked this
Talking of boosters, I had mine last week and my wife has hers booked for next. With thoughts turning to our holiday in November (which can't come fast enough :lol: ), we both have our NHS Covid app which remains valid for 30 days on our respective mobiles, and which we will update just before we go to maintain validity should we need to show them whilst we are away, proving vaccination. As a backup we also have the paper version, which does not expire, in our passport covers with other documents.

My mobile app already shows my third vaccination when I checked. Does the paper QR code link to the same thing when scanned, or should we apply for a new one after we have both been "boosted"? Haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.

Just preparing for potential alterations to requirements whilst abroad, however unlikely they might seem today.

TIA.

PW
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
johnm wrote:For only the second time in history MrsJohnm and I will be booking in for flu jabs this week and expect to be summoned for a Covid booster at some point

Double vaxxed, flu jabbed and boosterised.
Don’t forget to book your inevitable second booster while you’re there. :wink: