For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Propwash wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:Take the jabs as soon as they're offered.

That would be an unquestioned answer were it not for flights. My wife is concerned that flying within a short period may increase her risk of clots. I have no strong opinions either way TBH because I simply don't know enough about the science, but harmony in the house is always my ultimate goal in life. :lol:

Mind I did see something that suggested the booster shot would probably be a different type to the original 2 and I think it was only AZ which carried a (very slight) risk of clots?

There is a common misconception about the so-called 'blood clot' risk with the AZ vaccine.

The rare side effect that got all the attention some months ago, that resulted in the vax programme switching to Pfizer for the under 40s was not, I say again not, the usual deep vein thrombosis that you risk getting from sitting around for too long without moving.

It is a very specific condition, known as Vaccine-induced Thrombotic Thrombocytopenia which combines a low platelet count with thromboses (clots).

More information here and here.

As I recall (haven't got time to check right now), incidence of what I'll call 'ordinary' blood clots was actually slightly reduced in AZ-vaxxed cohorts compared with unvaccinated, and enormously reduced compared with people that actually got Covid.

Also from memory, all the cases of Vaccine-induced Thrombotic Thrombocytopenia occurred after the first AZ dose but again, I haven't checked that.
TravellerBob, kanga liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Apparently, in addition to booster jabs for the aged, masks and working from home are "in reserve" should the non-existent peak load capacity in the NHS start to become a problem.

Being aged I think I am to expect a call for a jab in each arm. In the interests of the poor sods working in the NHS I shall respond positively.......
johnm wrote:In the interests of the poor sods working in the NHS I shall respond positively.......

I've just emailed Annemarie Plas [she of "clap for carers" fame] and she just needs to confirm which of the following dates:

30 Sept
    7 Oct
    14 Oct
    21 Oct
    28 Oct
would work best for a national "clap for johnm" event? :P
Spooky, flybymike liked this
So rather than hearsay, here's what HMG said (although it may still be hearsay by definition as it's from the bbc):

Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58560031

Apropos Prop's Proposition (easy for me to say) Mr Javid said there would also be an update on rules for international travel ahead of a formal review point on 1 October - and he suggested PCR tests for fully vaccinated travellers would be scrapped in favour of cheaper lateral flow tests.

Asked by Conservative MP Huw Merriman if he would consider moving to lateral flow tests instead, Mr Javid said: "I don't want to pre-empt the statement by the transport secretary but I believe that when he makes that statement, he [Mr Merriman] will be pleased."
Rjk983 wrote:..

Do we add the salt to the water or the water to the salt?

does it depend on whether you're in Devon or Cornwall ? :)
Paultheparaglider, Rjk983, johnm and 1 others liked this