For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
I believe the median age of a Covid death continues to be about the same as median life expectancy.

I know and understand the arguments about someone who's made it to 82 expecting, on average, another 8-10 years worth of life. But so does a person who makes it to 82 and then has a heart attack. They can't all get the extra 8-10 years, otherwise the median life expectancy wouldn't be 82.

It's a new addition to the things that routinely kill people at the end of their natural lives, and sadly kill some people well before their time. It's not a reason to shut the country down, destroy the economy, or fundamentally change our way of life. I tend to think that in decades to come we will increasingly regard the lockdown response as completely bonkers.
Flyingfemme, flybymike, StratoTramp and 4 others liked this
@Flyingfemme - thank you.

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you're facing, it must be really tough. Best wishes for a better time ahead.

@defcribed - it's not just about deaths, it's about the large number of people of all ages suffering severe, life-limiting symptoms for many months.
JAFO wrote:@defcribed - it's not just about deaths, it's about the large number of people of all ages suffering severe, life-limiting symptoms for many months.

Which also happens to large numbers of other people because of numerous other conditions?

I'm not going to research numbers right now, but a very significant proportion of our population is supported entirely by the taxpayer because their health does not allow them, per the criteria we put in place, to work for a living.

That proportion was increasing at at a rapid rate pre-Covid, and if it continues to do so it will fundamentally threaten the 'common pot' model due to too many receivers and not enough contributors. Unless of course, those of us who do work pay even higher rates of tax.
StratoTramp, flybymike liked this
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
defcribed wrote:I know and understand the arguments about someone who's made it to 82 expecting, on average, another 8-10 years worth of life. But so does a person who makes it to 82 and then has a heart attack. They can't all get the extra 8-10 years, otherwise the median life expectancy wouldn't be 82.

Life has to stop somewhere, people forget it can sometimes be a release.

My grandpa was happy to keep going as long as possible. This was after he fell over broke his hip and health went down rapidly.
But Nan (mums side - everyone seems to define nan and grandma differently!) was quite happy for things to stop, she was probably healthier despite being a chain smoker. But had had enough of life.Both outlived their significant others.

Personally I hope my body ends things before my mind goes. TBH with all these draconian covid rules I had points last two years where I'd be quite happy to delete life. Over it though now. maybe a bit to close in mindset to "give me liberty or give me death" :lol:
More "no, it's not all over" from England [sic], from local medical professionals not politicians:

"Covid levels in Somerset have reached an all-time high" (Chief Medical Officer)

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/20 ... -time-high

"Suffolk Covid a rise worrying situation, health official says" (Chief Nurse)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-60886151
@kanga a cursory check says that the central statistic in the ITV article is very misleading and very probably very wrong. My bold.
Around 200 patients are now being treated for Covid-19 in county hospitals.

Here's what the Trust themselves say. My bold again.

Dr Dan Meron, Chief Medical Officer for Somerset NHS Foundation Trust and Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, said: “Across both our trusts we are caring for approximately 200 patients with coronavirus...

https://www.somersetft.nhs.uk/?news=nhs ... e-pressure

WILL there were fewer than 300 people in ICUs with C19 in the entire UK

That's not to downplay anything but journalists shouldn't be needlessly frightening people by hyping up stories with errors or lies.
By Flyin'Dutch'
eltonioni wrote:WILL there were fewer than 300 people in ICUs with C19 in the entire UK

That's not to downplay anything but journalists shouldn't be needlessly frightening people by hyping up stories with errors or lies.

With 10% of the population a waiting list, partially due to a shortage of ICU beds, having 10% of ICU capacity taken up with C19 is a major problem.

I have not seen anything that suggests that this shortage is tackled by increasing capacity.

Maybe that will be in the 40 new hospitals?
kanga liked this
I attended a wedding 3 weeks ago, it turned out to be a super spreader event. Well over half of those who attended caught covid including my partner, best friends wife, both my daughters and one son In-law. I didn't btw! I mention them only because 2 had been fully vaxed inc booster. 2 had had 1 Pfizer shot last Summer and 1 was completely unvaxed. My BF's wife was one who was fully vaxed had the worst outcome, spending 3 days in bed, everyone else in that group had mild cold like symptoms.

It really does seem hit and miss as to who catches it, I have not been boostered and the day prior to my partner testing positive we were in the car together for over an hour! She only had mild cold like symptoms.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
eltonioni wrote:WILL there were fewer than 300 people in ICUs with C19 in the entire UK

With 10% of the population a waiting list, partially due to a shortage of ICU beds, having 10% of ICU capacity taken up with C19 is a major problem.

I have not seen anything that suggests that this shortage is tackled by increasing capacity.

Maybe that will be in the 40 new hospitals?

If two years of worldwide pandemic isn't long enough for health services around the world to increase incidental capacity, I think it's reasonable to be as generous to acknowledge that the new hospitals pledge is certainly under way. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/59372348

Before vaccines, all we ever had was coping badly with surges, protecting the vulnerable and letting everyone else get on with what passes as normal. Unfortunately, politicians the world over thought that they could control it (and some, like China and Scotland still do) and go on to make silly promises in search of plaudits and votes, enabled by journalists who still apply, while exaggerating/lying for effect, the maxim of if it bleeds it leads.
By Flyin'Dutch'
eltonioni wrote: I think it's reasonable to be as generous to acknowledge that the new hospitals pledge is certainly under way. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/59372348

It is sometimes difficult to know whether people are sarcastic or serious; but if you think that they are under way, then I have a bridge to sell you.

:D
kanga liked this
Building anything is unlikely to make any difference if you have no staff to use it. There is no quick fix to getting more staff unless you bribe them away from othercountries and that is not nice behaviour.
We need a plan. An announcement is not a plan.