For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bill McCarthy wrote:Plane loads of passengers meanwhile, disembark from South Africa and disperse into the country completely unchecked until the travel ban comes into force on Sunday. Madness.

I think the quarantine requirement starts midday today???
By skydriller
Well guess what, Mini-Macaroon just announced that your vaxxes are only valid for 7 months and you need a 3rd dose to keep your “pass sanitaire”. And now a test is only valid for 24hrs – so basicly, you get the result and it expires…

I planned to get a booster shot after 6+months – ie end of dec/jan. But I really dislike the mandatory vaxxing by the back door that is now the “pass Sanitaire” and I have a feeling that now there will be a huge rush here and perhaps limited availability as happenned earlier in the year. Oh what fun…

Regards, SD..
flybymike liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
That the test were considered valid for anything other than the very time they were taken was a ruse.

The things to hope for are

1. The new variant is still susceptible to suppression by the vaccine and is not causing a higher morbidity and/or mortality.
2. Common sense prevails, amongst population and politicians alike.
JAFO, kanga, MikeB liked this
By johnm
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
1. The new variant is still susceptible to suppression by the vaccine and is not causing a higher morbidity and/or mortality.

Jury is still out and serious investigation by scientists underway, so at least there'll be some real information before too long.

2. Common sense prevails, amongst population and politicians alike.

Now that is almost a definition of fantasy :lol:
By skydriller
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Common sense prevails, amongst population and politicians alike.

That would depend upon "what" common sense you are talking about, because the idea is if you are vaxxed, you are protected... are you talking getting everyone vaccinated or "precautions" as in restriction apon normal behaviour? Im pro-vaccination and generally law abiding, but on principle dont like restrictions upon personal freedoms...

Regards, SD..
flybymike liked this
skydriller wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Common sense prevails, amongst population and politicians alike.

That would depend upon "what" common sense you are talking about, because the idea is if you are vaxxed, you are protected... are you talking getting everyone vaccinated or "precautions" as in restriction apon normal behaviour? Im pro-vaccination and generally law abiding, but on principle dont like restrictions upon personal freedoms....

SD, I don't think that anyone likes restrictions on personal freedom but some people realise that they are sensible for the time being. This will pass, everything does, but it hasn't passed yet.
Ben K liked this
By skydriller
I know its not the UK, but just have a look at whats is going on "for your own protection" in other parts of the democratic world right now. This is worrying stuff, especially when you consider the history of some of these places in the last century. People have short memories.

Regards, SD..
flybymike, eltonioni liked this
By johnm
I'm well known for trusting politicians slightly less far than I can throw them.

However I do trust scientific evidence when it's cross checked and verified, so I'm still in the "get vaccinated and take sensible precautions" camp and likely to stay there for some time.

Cautiously resuming travel to relatively low risk places but not otherwise....
JAFO liked this
johnm wrote:

Cautiously resuming travel to relatively low risk places but not otherwise....

The problem is deciding where is now low risk, and how you define “risk”. I am currently abroad having watched the situation at this destination for some months before departure. It had constantly improved, very few cases occurring and had been very pro-active in policing entrants. Masks are used everywhere inside by everyone, hand sanitiser is placed at every doorway and used on entry and exit by everyone. It felt “safer” than at home. Within 5 days of our arrival increased restrictions were reimposed out of the blue. They don’t greatly affect us although have reduced seating in restaurants, even outside. It did, however, bring home once again how unpredictable everywhere still is. Hopefully, with a week to go, nothing else will change to affect either our return to the UK or the cost of doing so, but frankly who knows? Everywhere is now a “risk”.

PW
Flyin'Dutch', MikeB liked this
johnm wrote:
Bill McCarthy wrote:Plane loads of passengers meanwhile, disembark from South Africa and disperse into the country completely unchecked until the travel ban comes into force on Sunday. Madness.

Presumably those arriving from SA this morning will have had to have had a negative test before flying?

Is there a risk of people coming here from SA via another country, therefore dodging quarantine,I wonder!
Robin500 wrote:
johnm wrote:

Presumably those arriving from SA this morning will have had to have had a negative test before flying?

Is there a risk of people coming here from SA via another country, therefore dodging quarantine,I wonder!

No as you have to have a clear 10 days between leaving a redlist country and arriving in the uk . However it appears that all the countries are taking heed and restricting flights so it isnt an option at the moment.