For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
A good friend of 40 years died last week from undiagnosed cancer. Not sure about the whole story but it seems connected somehow to this thread.

And whilst I’m here ….

What’s the end game and when will it be here? Fully boosted I know I’m a bit safer but until a neutralising jab comes along could still be infected and pass it on.

How many letters in the Greek alphabet?
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
What’s the end game and when will it be here?

No-one knows for sure but if it follows the pattern of other viruses it will remain very infectious but not as lethal, from what I have read and been told by medics.

That implies that it will be managed in a way similar to flu in due course. Seasonal jabs but for a wider proportion of the population.

Viruses mutate constantly so it will be around forever and there'll be medication as well as jabs eventually and we may still see a nasty one and that could take us back to square one.

Normality is at least 2 years away because the rest of the world still needs jabbing and that's going to take ages.

Then we have to think about the next pandemic and what that might look like.....
StratoTramp wrote:Cost/benefit. Is the backlog of 6 million created by this managable etc.

Reported this morning that only one in five "excess deaths" are now due Covid in some places. Is it too cynical to say that means four in five excess deaths are due something else... due Covid?

Propwash wrote:Woo Hoo! Just got an email to confirm that I am officially clear of the virus after returning to the UK. Off to the pub for an English pint now. :wink:

In all seriousness, having dropped the boxes off at the collection point yesterday late afternoon for onward transmission to the lab in Northern Ireland, I think that is rather impressive.

Top tip: if you need to order Randox PCR tests for delivery while you are abroad to be be ready for your return, order them separately rather than as a couple and then they will fit individually through the letter box as two rather than one package.

PW

Ahem, landed MAN at 1631 Wednesday, tested at Randox drive-thru at 1530 , went to bed and received negative PCR result 0423 Thursday.

Randox do seem to have got it worked out whichever method is used. Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge those lobbyist MPs. :lol: (apologies to @Flyin'Dutch' :) )

---

Re boosters, I'm due booster #2 in five weeks and even though I'm a vaccine advocate I'm feeling a bit fatigued at the whole thing now. The idea of four jabs in a year and still catching Covid makes the prospect of normalising five Covid events in twelve months seem a bit rich, especially if this latest round turns out to be a very damp squib. I fully expect to catch the Omicrom version in the coming weeks which will make six Covid events in a year.

I'd be quite happy for my next booster to go somewhere in the World where it's more urgently needed. Maybe more of us need to make our voices known if we feel the same way.
StratoTramp liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
eltonioni wrote:[
Randox do seem to have got it worked out whichever method is used. Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge those lobbyist MPs. :lol: (apologies to @Flyin'Dutch' :) )

Makes you wonder why, if their product is good, they felt the need to cloud their reputation by entering into an unholy financial relationship with an MP.

Anyway, anyone heard the pub landlord matey of Matt Hancock, calling in to JOB on LBC yesterday?
Last edited by Flyin'Dutch' on Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Flyin'Dutch'
malcolmfrost wrote:Did they bribe an MP (illegal) or did they employ an MP (legal)?

They entered into an unholy financial relationship and I think that the behaviour might have been a contravention of the Bribery Act but I am not a lawyer of course.

Read the bribery act, and let me know what you think, for your convenience I have attached the bit I think is relevant.

I think, but IANAL, that contraventions of that bit of legislation can happen whether the money is transferred in brown envelopes or in a jus of 'employment'
Last edited by Flyin'Dutch' on Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CloudHound wrote:..

How many letters in the Greek alphabet?

<classicist nerd :oops: >

24 in the 'classical' alphabet (established by the 5thc BC in Athens). Some letters in previous use had fallen out of use there by then

</>
By T6Harvard
Having sent samples (non-medical) to external labs as part of my previous job I am somewhat cynical of quick turn around negative results.

A few years ago we suspected we were getting too many negatives so we doctored a sample to be certain it wd show positive for contamination. Guess what? Results essentially said 'not contaminated - no further action required'.

If a lab is not going to bother testing samples sent to them they will provide a negative so no action needed, no disruption that may lead to challenge of result, everyone's happy.

Makes you think, eh?

Let me make it clear, I am not referring to any covid testing labs but if I was an undercover reporter I know where I'd be right now.