For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
PeteSpencer wrote:
OCB wrote:
...CEO presumably referring to his Pfizer shareholders....ok, not helping I know...

@OCB
Already acknowledged (MRDM). :lol:

I need to brush up on my acronyms- that for me was “Mort De Rire Msomething” :oops:

BTW - did you know that PCR stood for Paying China’s Ransom?

:clown:
I'm feeling ever more uncomfortable about various governments responses to this pandemic. In Germany now, unvaccinated people are to be banned from just about every public setting except essential shops. With vaccinations likely to be mandated from February.

With Oliver Dowden, in an interview just now ,refusing to rule out such authoritarian measures here. I'd be staggered that anyone would support these draconian measures. History shows the last two flu pandemics 1956 and 1968 both lasted 2 or 3 years, and so far as I can find, no restrictions on peoples lives were imposed, certainly not to the extent we are experiencing now.

I accept the World is a very different place now, with far higher population and infinitely more travel etc. But where does all of this end. Will it end? Will this CV19 pandemic fizzle out in intensity like other pandemics before it. And more worryingly, are governments going to repeal all these restrictions they've imposed on us.
To me right now, it doesn't feel like they will.
Flyingfemme, flybymike, Spooky and 1 others liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It's necessary to look at cultures, risk and where that takes you.

There is a case for draconian measures in respect of Covid simply because a significant chunk of the population is too stupid to simply do the sensible thing on their own initiative.

Whether draconian measures are likely to lead to authoritarianism needs a wider look at government behaviour. If such measures are restricted to Covid it's probably low risk, if the same behaviour is beginning to be apparent in a wider context then there may be cause for concern.....
kanga liked this
By skydriller
eltonioni wrote:Thoughts?

After Boris got Covid and was ill he said he would have not been as ill if he had been fit and less overweight. This was reported a few times and then the whole subject of personal health got dropped. In fact he was critisized for exercising during the last UK lockdown.
flybymike, StratoTramp liked this
By johnm
he said he would have not been as ill if he had been fit and less overweight.

That is nonsense. While there is some statistical evidence that on average obese people get it worse, there are well documented cases where very fit and young folk have died. So the answer is and always has been vaccination.
By flybymike
johnm wrote:

That is nonsense. While there is some statistical evidence that on average obese people get it worse, there are well documented cases where very fit and young folk have died. So the answer is and always has been vaccination.

Sorry John, that’s complete bunkum.

Comorbidities and general state of health, including obesity, are a massive factor in the outcome of the disease.
PeteSpencer, Flying_john, Spooky and 8 others liked this
johnm wrote:

Covid doesn’t care about your body positivity. Vast majority of covid patients my wife has treated have been type 2 diabetic. The horror scenes from Italy was rows of fat elderly men on ventilators. Of course there’ll always be the anomalies (such as my mate who is a semi-pro bodybuilder-guess what he abuses that increases cardiac issues :roll: ) however they’re rare.
flybymike, StratoTramp liked this
By StratoTramp
johnm wrote:There is a case for draconian measures in respect of Covid simply because a significant chunk of the population is too stupid to simply do the sensible thing on their own initiative.

There is a significant chunk of the population who have a misanthropic superiority complex. :cyclopsani:

Differences in opinion and even IQ are the cost of human flourishing and freedom.

It is worth it.

People can be silly in one dimension and amazing in another. Some of the dummies :lol: in certain dimensions may have died in Victorian times now they don't - This on the whole is good. You have to live with it this includes the complete riff raff :lol:

I don't understand how these days being very liberal and altruistic seems to correlate with marching with the establishment and supporting authoritarianism. The world has gone completely antiphase in the last 10 years. :?:

You MUST let ME care for you, it is for YOUR OWN good

Not sure how freedom, choice have become so radical.

I hope they hold out. I thought Oliver Dowden didn't rule them out - he just said we dont want to do it. Which isn't strong enough for me.

@eltonioni

Gemma has had a bit too much human flourishing. :lol:
flybymike, eltonioni, Spooky liked this
By flybymike
This short paper is interesting.
A similar situation was described for the UK. Between week 39 and 42, a total of 100.160 COVID-19 cases were reported among citizens of 60 years or older. 89.821 occurred among the fully vaccinated (89.7%), 3.395 among the unvaccinated (3.4%)

In the UK it was described that secondary attack rates among household contacts exposed to fully vaccinated index cases was similar to household contacts exposed to unvaccinated index cases (25% for vaccinated vs 23% for unvaccinated). 12 of 31 infections in fully vaccinated household contacts (39%) arose from fully vaccinated epi- demiologically linked index cases. Peak viral load did not differ by vaccination status or variant type.

Many decisionmakers assume that the vaccinated can be excluded as a source of transmission. It appears to be grossly negligent to ignore the vaccinated population as a possible and relevant source of transmission when deciding about public health control measures.

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPd ... %2900258-1