For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
StratoTramp wrote:Which is most people. Most people do not die.

I've seen the video about reinforcing certain parts of the airframe.

140k did.....a large number of those were avoidable, sadly from the outset this pandemic was not taken serious enough by those who hold the levers which if set differently would have made a difference.

The report published last week suggested at least 20k; I think that's an underestimate.

Out of all European countries with more than 50 million people only Italy did worse, the rest all better many considerably so and the current UK daily death toll is double that of France, Italy, Spain and Italy together.

It is terrible.
kanga liked this
StratoTramp wrote:Which is most people. Most people do not die. Most people survive.

Memento Mori - but only so you remember to live. Like Marcus Aurelius says What is your life anyway. You will be forgotten pretty soon. better make the most of now. Dust soon enough. You are only meaningful to you really.

Recommended the meditations by Aurelius also Seneca even if he was a bit of a sell out.

"To a man who knows not where he sails,.no wind is favourable" apt for aviation o think.

Nunc videmus, nunc non.
johnm, Flyin'Dutch', kanga liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
StratoTramp wrote:Rhetorical... and being a complete **** again.

Indeed; you are a complete ****

The three of us who work in health care did not work from home and continued with sorting out patients f2f; which included for 2 of us looking after previously well people dying prematurely; and contracting C19 ourselves from patients.

And working flexi-time in health care means you know when you start, but never when you finish.
johnm, Cessna571, kanga and 1 others liked this
By StratoTramp
I shouldn't have mentioned GPs in that last post, as that made unintentionally personal. I forgot you were a doctor. My wife has had to miss two days this week waiting for a callback which is why it's in my head.

Rough day yesterday. May have gone a bit far in general. I need to avoid forums when in a bad mood. Gone back and cut a few posts as Paul has a point I think.

Just getting a bit annoyed by being messed around by people at home. Pretending this is the same threat it was 2 years ago.

I don't want 'danger money' really and think it would be pretty divisive but think if they did something like that people would suddenly appear out of the wood work. Post vaccine, It's dangerous when it suits people.
I think the biggest risk we face as we go into winter is complacency. As pilots, it is repeatedly drummed into us that complacency is the biggest killer in aviation.

The worst could be behind us, but all the signs are that, as a society, we are being complacent, and that is likely to come back and bite us. The danger in thinking it is all over leads to exactly the behaviour that is self defeating.

Now is the time when we should all be extra cautious and building on all the good work that has got us where we are. Get those booster jabs, keep on pushing the general vaccination programme. Don't be complacent when it comes to masks and sanitisation - they aren't really a big deal, and even if they aren’t highly effective, they still help. Every little helps.

The numbers are showing a worrying picture at the moment. Even if our good foundation work will hopefully prevent things getting as bad as last winter, there is still a lot of potential for us to find ourselves back in lockdown with all the personal and economic chaos that will bring.

Better to keep up the pressure now and find it was unnecessary than let things slip too far and pay the price.

We aren't out of the woods. We could be, but, as in aviation, complacency can exact a high price. And, all the signs are that we are being extremely complacent.
MikeB, JAFO, TopCat and 2 others liked this
By johnm
NHS is begging for risk management help from HMG. HMG is vacillating though they call it "watching the numbers ", I hope that they don't turn out to be spectators at their own crisis :pale:
johnm wrote:NHS is begging for risk management help from HMG. HMG is .. "watching the numbers ", ..

.. in England. Other UK Nations (all with different Parties in charge, so this seems not to be a Partisan matter) have stayed or are already becoming more cautious:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58976577
@kanga , I wouldn't be so sure that other nations are ahead of England in the cautions stakes. It isn't the rules that count - it is whether they are observed.

My own observation here in Wales is that complacency is setting in. As an example, we are still required to wear masks in shops, but the numbers not doing so is increasing rapidly. People here seem to be acting as if it is all over from what I can see.
Flyin'Dutch', MikeB liked this
Paultheparaglider wrote:..It isn't the rules that count - it is whether they are observed.

Indeed. But without extremely heavy-handed preemptive policing (not the UK way, usually) the rules are the only things which governments can proactively influence .. :roll:
By Flyin'Dutch'
StratoTramp wrote:I shouldn't have mentioned GPs in that last post, as that made unintentionally personal. I forgot you were a doctor. My wife has had to miss two days this week waiting for a callback which is why it's in my head.

Rough day yesterday. May have gone a bit far in general. I need to avoid forums when in a bad mood. Gone back and cut a few posts as Paul has a point I think.

Just getting a bit annoyed by being messed around by people at home. Pretending this is the same threat it was 2 years ago.

I don't want 'danger money' really and think it would be pretty divisive but think if they did something like that people would suddenly appear out of the wood work. Post vaccine, It's dangerous when it suits people.

It isn't the GPs who have worked the hardest during C19, it is the nurses and the hospital doctors on the wards and departments which have been looking after the C19 patients.

Anyway, apologies accepted, at times we can all get a bit too 'engaged' in our postings. For a few moments I thought you might be a reincarnation of Travellerbob but your ability to reflect and edit makes it clear that is not the case.

:thumright: :thumleft:
Paultheparaglider, kanga, StratoTramp and 1 others liked this
By 100poundburger
Paultheparaglider wrote:@kanga , I wouldn't be so sure that other nations are ahead of England in the cautions stakes. It isn't the rules that count - it is whether they are observed.

My own observation here in Wales is that complacency is setting in. As an example, we are still required to wear masks in shops, but the numbers not doing so is increasing rapidly. People here seem to be acting as if it is all over from what I can see.

Hi Paul, thing about the complacency is that some of the rules are just stupid, so when this occurs people react accordingly, like , for example here, in Northern Ireland you need face masks to go to Tesco for a pint of milk, but, no such masking up is required to go to church....how does that work ?

So is it complacency or is it people seeing something clearly ridiculous ..and ignoring it.