For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
GrahamB wrote:
flybymike wrote:Far too lax.
In France you can’t even buy a coffee without a state permissive passport.

Ça dépend.
On our recent trip we had a breakfast in a ‘Paul’, two lunches out and picked up takeaway pizzas twice without needing to show evidence.
Nor did we when booking into our overnight stop hotels.
But it really wasn’t a big deal flashing the app when we did need to.

If it was a requirement at the businesses you mention - ie if they were allowing you to be unmasked on their premises, then they would get a hefty fine if caught not checking your health pass status in France.

Takeaway & Hotels (if not eating) should require you to be masked on the premises. I suspect Paul was classed as takaway - ie you did not get table service and were expected to be masked.

As of last week all sports clubs, which includes aeroclubs, must check health pass status of visitors and members participating and visiting premises.

Regards, SD..
By GrahamB
skydriller wrote:If it was a requirement at the businesses you mention - ie if they were allowing you to be unmasked on their premises, then they would get a hefty fine if caught not checking your health pass status in France.

Takeaway & Hotels (if not eating) should require you to be masked on the premises. I suspect Paul was classed as takaway - ie you did not get table service and were expected to be masked.

No, we ate at table inside Paul and were not checked, and we twice lunched outside elsewhere without being checked.

However, my point was not to argue the toss on the whys and wherefores of health passes, but to correct the misconception that only the vaccinated can buy food and drink.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
JAFO wrote:While I agree that demanding ID and health status of people sat outside sipping coffee is bonkers, their approach could help to explain why France has 87,000 active cases and the UK has 1.4 million.

It is possible to have similar low numbers without checking outside gastronomie or people coming to pick up their take-away.

Inside yes; outside no need as the risk of transmission is very low

Anyway we now know why the UK mortality figures at the beginning of the pandemie were so bad; according to the science minister it is because the Brits are too fat....

Nice bit of victim blaming.
By skydriller
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Anyway we now know why the UK mortality figures at the beginning of the pandemie were so bad; according to the science minister it is because the Brits are too fat....

Nice bit of victim blaming.

Frank, I have a lot if respect for you and your opinion - especially wrt C19 and health matters. Please tell me you are not suggesting that the science minister is wrong and that the general health of a person who catches C19 doesnt affect their chances if being ill and/or dying? I recall Boris talking about his weight and fitness level after catching C19 and being ill, so this isnt a new thing is it?

Dont get me wrong, Im not fitness freak or a BMI fanatic... at 6ft3, the only time Ive ever been mid-BMI weight is after an 8week project in North Africa on a very poor diet and on returning home everyone said I looked ill... But even I know that there is a direct corrolation between being overweight & unfit, and having poor health.

Regards, SD..
flybymike liked this
By StratoTramp
I would agree.

It's like this commissioner? who almost got cancelled for saying people should know their rights not to be arrested.

Arguably I would have let that murderer take me away too. But the PC isn't wrong for suggesting it's not a bad idea to know your rights and question things going forward. Ok he could have phrased it better, but ultimately his advice wasn't bad.

We know being fat doesnt help with covid. I feel I can comment on it as I'm fat :lol: and I can accept it. - I wouldn't class it as victim blaming. It's not genetics I eat too much and drink too much beer.

Or this body positive stuff. Never hate or be deliberately rude to people. But at the same time don't pretend it is healthy.

"Peak StratoTramp" in 2016 with his ultramarathons, stands a better chance than fat StratoTramp now. We need to keep being able to tell the truth if it helps even it it hurts. The old Facts don't got feelings.
By MikeE
JAFO wrote:While I agree that demanding ID and health status of people sat outside sipping coffee is bonkers, their approach could help to explain why France has 87,000 active cases and the UK has 1.4 million.

According to https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Total tests UK - 321,188,533

Total tests France - 146,046,715

Serious/critical UK - 791

Serious/critical France -1,200

This is not the whole picture of course, but the more tests done the more cases are likely to be found

Regards

Mike
flybymike liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
VRB_20kt wrote:Is there a European standard definition for what constitutes a Covid death?

There is a WHO definition.

Lobbing people who have been tested out of the statistics who had a positive C19 test more than 28 days before, is not standard in that definition but actual practise in the UK.

I have had a look in the statistics of some other european countries and they seem to stick to the WHO definition.