For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Robin500 wrote: It is.

Or at least it should be.

Why the double vaccinated cannot now travel freely without (e.g. for amber list countries) needing a clear test before returning followed by 10 days quarantine with additional tests on days 2 and 8 is completely beyond me.

Either we believe the vaccines are effective or we don't. If they're not, then we just have to carry on as best we can anyway.

If it is so that being able to travel is seen as prejudicial to those who have rejected vaccination or have not yet been offered the vaccine then so be it.

It's a bit like earning a licence to fly, and then being told that you can't because it would be unfair on those that haven't.
Flyingfemme liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Vaccines are not yet fully understood and are not a panacea.

It is possible that a vaccinated person can carry and transmit the disease, though there is some evidence that this is relatively low risk, but more data is needed before decisions can be made.

Given that the pandemic is still raging out of control in a number of territories the appearance of new variants remains a serious risk.

Travelling to foreign parts unless you need to is frankly nuts at this point.

Brits from mainland UK, vaccinated or not, are still subject to quarantine in the channel islands and IoM and distinctly unwelcome in a number of places on the green list.

We have constantly shut down too late and opened up too early and still there are people who just don't get it. :roll:
JAFO, TopCat, A4 Pacific and 2 others liked this
Robin500 wrote:We have been told for over a year that the vaccine was our way of this nightmare. It is.

It is the way out but if people think it's at that point now then I fear they might be in for a surprise. In the UK - which has had one of the best vaccine rollouts in the world - less than 38% of the adult population has had two doses. It needs to be double that before we can start declaring it to have been the way out.
A4 Pacific, johnm liked this
Charles Hunt wrote:Why the double vaccinated cannot now travel freely without (e.g. for amber list countries) needing a clear test before returning followed by 10 days quarantine with additional tests on days 2 and 8 is completely beyond me.

Because it is still possible to be infected. It is far less likely and, if you are infected, it is far less likely that you will become seriously ill but it's still possible.
johnm liked this
By TopCat
A4 Pacific wrote:I suspect the next two or three weeks could be interesting.

Then we’ll probably have a better idea whether we are now looking at all this in the rear view mirror....

Yes, although I think it could take a couple of months before it really gets clearer. Hospitalisations are on the rise in the 'Indian' variant hotspots, but apparently mostly among the unvaccinated.

Persuading certain groups to get the jab is clearly an uphill struggle, so if this variant is super-transmissible, it might take a while before hospitalisations drop again in those hotspots, even if the immunity from the vaccines holds up.
Jim Jones wrote:There’s those that knowingly rejected the jab, those who couldn’t get to the jab, and those who, despite everything, didn’t know about the jab.

I’ve met all three types.

@Jim Jones For all three, especially the last type who didn't even know about the jab, are we back to the mainly Muslim multigenerational households and (ahem) "cultural issues" (elderly / women / no English / pig ingredients etc)? Both HMG and the media seem to be dancing around that point in Bolton / Blackburn etc at the moment, it would be interesting to hear if it's relevant to your experience.

In other news :thumleft:
eltonioni wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:There’s those that knowingly rejected the jab, those who couldn’t get to the jab, and those who, despite everything, didn’t know about the jab.

I’ve met all three types.

@Jim Jones For all three, especially the last type who didn't even know about the jab, are we back to the mainly Muslim multigenerational households and (ahem) "cultural issues" (elderly / women / no English / pig ingredients etc)? Both HMG and the media seem to be dancing around that point in Bolton / Blackburn etc at the moment, it would be interesting to hear if it's relevant to your experience.

In other news :thumleft:

Not Muslim/Asian, white British mostly from deprived areas who don’t watch news or read. Some don’t believe MSM but watch YouTube etc for all their needs. Some just focus on making the money stretch till next benefit arrives and are scared of the world in general.
eltonioni, kanga liked this
By johnm
Miscellaneous wrote:@johnm I have an image of you sitting overlooking a bay with a coffee and enjoying the ambiance. Somehow sitting with a phone on the forum detracts from that image.

Am I getting 5 from 2 + 2 ? :D

I have been known to sit overlooking a bay, with coffee, beer or wine in hand as circumstance and opportunity dictate :D

I rarely use a phone for the Forum mostly I'm sitting in my study in front of a big computer as now :D

It may be a little while before I get back to a bay but the Cotswold Ridge has a good few view points over the Severn Valley :D

Theatre and restaurant booked for Friday night and Carducci quartet concert for Saturday :D
Miscellaneous liked this