For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyingfemme wrote:people die all the time (you gotta die of something).

I find this attitude very strange. Why on earth has mankind bothered to advance medicine over the past few hundred years if there are people with this attitude? Why do we have doctors, hospitals, pharmaceuticals if "you gotta die of something"? Some of the religious nuts see doing anything as "being against god's will".
TopCat liked this
By skydriller
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Flyingfemme wrote:people die all the time (you gotta die of something).

I find this attitude very strange. Why on earth has mankind bothered to advance medicine over the past few hundred years if there are people with this attitude? Why do we have doctors, hospitals, pharmaceuticals if "you gotta die of something"? Some of the religious nuts see doing anything as "being against god's will".

Im certainly not anti-vax or in any way religious. But I do understand where @Flyingfemme is coming from when she says this. This last year and a half has seen a zealous focus on people dying and in particular the number of people dying with Covid. This almost hysterical reporting in the media of deaths with Covid has been almost unparalleled. Ive never seen a daily totalizer of deaths with cancer, deaths with pneumonia or deaths in car accidents. There is not even the reporting of war dead in Iraq or Afganistan.

The point is that people die. We will all eventially die. It is rarely ever nice for those left behind when someone dies, but its as if the fact that dying is part of life has been forgotten and no-one is allowed to die anymore, no matter how ill or old they are.

Regards, SD...
Spooky, Flyingfemme, flybymike and 1 others liked this
By johnm
The presentation is a bit of a mystery because as I have mentioned before, deaths, however sad, is not the issue.

Healthcare capacity is the issue and the UK is particularly weak in that respect and getting worse (apparently), therefore vaccination and infection control are critical to avoiding healthcare facilities being overwhelmed with all that implies for collateral damage in growing queues for treatment.

So we should have more emphasis on masks in crowded places and the use of LFT as well as vaccination. We're now doing all three at various times.
skydriller wrote:Heres a version you can read :
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-58653197

The Aussies have obviously lost the plot... :roll:

Did you spot this little nugget?

According to local media, northern NSW has relatively low vaccine rates when compared with other regions. Bryon Shire's vaccine rate in people over 16 has just passed 60%, compared to other Sydney councils that have recorded rates of more than 95%.

I had no idea that they had vaccination rates even greater than in the UK. Just what the heck are they playing at? It's utterly inhumane what's happening there now.
flybymike liked this
eltonioni wrote:It's utterly inhumane what's happening there now.

It always raises a smile when people describe or think of Australia/NZ as First World countries or economies when they are not.

Common language and historic immigration is all that keeps them in the gang. Otherwise they're savages.
TravellerBob wrote:It always raises a smile when people describe or think of Australia/NZ as First World countries or economies when they are not.

Common language and historic immigration is all that keeps them in the gang. Otherwise they're savages.

I'm guessing your travels haven't extended that far then, Bob. I've spent a lot of time in both countries, and in my opinion they are every bit as First World and the people every bit as civilised as the UK.
malcolmfrost, Spooky, kanga and 2 others liked this
What Skydriller said. I'm not advocating a total disregard for medicine or doing what we can to stay alive. But sometimes you have to think; just because you can do something, should you? Sometimes the medical profession seems to spend an awful lot of time and resources keeping people alive to live miserable lives. And then others are refused simple things that would hugely improve their quality of life. Or a painless way out.
People with "co-morbidities" are just waiting for the next bug to finish them off. Makes no difference if it is covid, norovirus or flu - but we haven't had the same fuss about any other germs. Not even when AIDS was forecast to finish off the human race.
The modern world is now a huge interlinked system. We are all reliant on many people and businesses to keep what we consider "normal" going on. We cannot all simply go home and lock the door. As we've seen - some poor sods still have to keep the power flowing and the shelves stocked. Why should they put themselves in harm's way to keep you fed and warm?
Paultheparaglider wrote:I'm guessing your travels haven't extended that far then, Bob. I've spent a lot of time in both countries, and in my opinion they are every bit as First World and the people every bit as civilised as the UK.

Au contraire, in common with many others I have worked in Australia for extended periods and found them most charming and inoffensive.

However that was in normal times...

As soon as there's a crisis their true colours come to the fore and we can see that barbarism isn't far from the surface.

In keeping with most global faults it is because their predominant white settlement heralds from criminal beginnings in the UK.

It is wise not to pretend otherwise. Stranding your own citizens in foreign lands is not a benign act.
Charles Hunt wrote:Llamas to the rescue!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58628689

This story simply reinforces our resolve in allowing science and technology to fix things.

No histrionics. No gluing things to roads. Silent perseverance and scientific breakthroughs.

Well done Team.
By johnm
Different risks are posed by different diseases and that risk is also affected by political and economic geography.

So far as Covid is concerned vaccination and a reasonable degree of infection control turns out to create a manageable scenario with current known variants where there is good healthcare infrastructure.

The weaker the healthcare infrastructure the greater the need for quarantine and other more drastic infection control measures.
By flybymike
So far as Covid is concerned vaccination and a reasonable degree of infection control turns out to create a manageable scenario with current known variants

Don’t worry about variants, it’s all going to turn into a case of the sniffles.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/health/1621701 ... 1632378468
eltonioni, TravellerBob, Spooky and 1 others liked this
@flybymike John has history of being a bit frit
eltonioni wrote:
johnm wrote:@eltonioni also seems (like HMG) to be gambling that a new variant which, on the scale of predicted cases, is all but inevitable won’t be worse than what’s already around.......

I'll forgive the memory lapse John, but I've been saying exactly that since last year. This was me pontificating, correctly as it turns out, back in December. ;)
eltonioni wrote:It will be very embarrassing if lockdowns have prevented the virus from evolving into less dangerous strains that survive and thrive without killing the host.

It's hardly a gamble, it's just what happens, which is why Delta Variant (origin India) is surviving and thriving without killing the host. It's evolutionarily inevitable, not a gamble.
TravellerBob, flybymike liked this