For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
johnm wrote:@Flyingfemme Some countries, notably NZ are trying to eliminate the virus, IoM and Guernsey have followed a similar strategy

They aren't that stupid. They might have accidentally eliminated it, but even if they have (which they haven't except in the parallel fantasy version) they need to exclude it in perpetuity. This just isn't possible and people who perpetuate the myth needs to give their head a wobble and stop living in Lala Land. Or, they could exclude themselves from society, and frankly, I don't much care if they do if fear and loathing is all they have to offer.
flybymike liked this
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyingfemme wrote:Flu has been one of those, “man up and get on with life” things.

Now we've all given up smoking a respiratory infection is almost the most common way of carrying off an older bloke. One of the benefits of the pandemic has been much less winter flu. One of the things HMG got right was earlier flu jabs. That and more staying at home with the sniffles might give a relatively permanent increase in life expectancy.

Either that or the unemployed young will roll in a pigsty and frequent pubs and rugby stands in an attempt to get rid of as many as possible as us by what are currently legal means :D
By Flyin'Dutch'
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:For now, afaik, they are sticking to the manufacturers' recommendations.

Should that change I will let you know.

@nallen

I have now booked my own vaccination.

First one 6/3 - system generated second date 8/5 so that is 9 weeks.

Don't know which vaccine it will be, will let you know.

I have done an antibody check a few weeks back, it was not a quantitative assay so don't know titers.

Toying with the idea to check levels pre-vaccination, then at 8 weeks and then say at 3 months post booster.
nallen, T6Harvard, AndyR and 1 others liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
AndyR wrote:Are Germany now ahead of the U.K. in their vaccination programme then @Flyin'Dutch' ?
Either that or you’re rather older than I believed :oops:

Checking levels pre and post vaccination would be interesting to many I’m sure.

Careful now!

Those working with vulnerable people, like in nursing homes (or GA pilots;)) are now being done, as well as those in the general population with pre-conditions as well as all 80+.
AndyR, kanga liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Agree.

For the sea based operations that may not be too difficult unless they get contaminated by accident; land based operations are of course a different kettle of fish.

The US reports that a third of military personnel is not accepting the vaccine. A major operational headache I imagine.

No doubt that other major players have fewer refusniks amongst the troops.
I do not recall being told that I had a choice when, in 1973, I was told I had to have a smallpox booster to travel to RAF Germany soon after the fatal laboratory accident in UK. West Germany had declared the whole of UK an infected area.

If I had been told, and had, refused, I expect there would have been 'career repercussions' :roll:
JAFO liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Toying with the idea to check levels pre-vaccination, then at 8 weeks and then say at 3 months post booster.

That would be interesting information, Frank. It would also be interesting to know if you get any side effects from the vaccination.

I read an article, which I now can't find, that suggested people getting some side effects might be those with previous exposure to the virus, even if non symptomatic. It was postulation rather than fact based, but the argument went that if you already had some antibodies in your system they might be mounting a defence to the vaccine. As we know you have had the virus, I would be interested to know how you get on. Of course, I should add that I hope you don't get any significant side effects.

Best wishes,

Paul.
kanga wrote:Canadian Federal advisory committee 'does not recommend' AZ vaccine for elders; 'not enough evidence yet'

How so, none of the over the hill recipients on here have croaked, as far as I am aware. :D

Seriously, given the numbers administered it I do wonder what level of evidence is required? :D
By johnm
The evidence issue is a curious one. There is clear evidence that it is safe because there have been no significant cases of ill effects recorded, the question is do we know it's effective which is much harder to assess with anecdotal evidence. So if we have enough Pfizer we don't need AZ and won't recommend it for the old.
Rather than hand-wringing, maybe we can just accept that other nations are quite simply behind the curve.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/ ... 21793.html
Britain’s Covid-19 vaccines may stop people passing on the virus “almost completely”, the head of immunisation at Public Health England has revealed.

Dr Mary Ramsay said grounds for hope that vaccination may achieve the holy grail of halting community transmission were emerging from new studies.

“What we don’t yet know is how long that might last and whether or not that will be enough to stop the infection spreading more widely in the population over time,” she told Radio 4’s Today on Tuesday

“But there’s really very good signs that this is going to at least reduce infection rates across the population, and hopefully ... prevent people passing it on almost completely if they’ve been vaccinated fully.”

If the hopes are fulfilled, it will be the most spectacular success yet for the British vaccination roll-out — and a huge boost to the Prime Minister’s roadmap to recovery from the pandemic.

Get the TB warmed up @johnm, you'll be in Alderney soon enough thanks to UK PLC outside the EU. ;)
Charles Hunt liked this