For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
eltonioni wrote:You might as well have #3 since it's not going to go to anyone who needs it more and every jab is a step closer to HMG not having any more excuses about other measures.

:cheese: Ok maybe for you Eltonioni :cheese:

eltonioni wrote:In other news;
The UK economy is now back to pre-pandemic levels, unlike all those places where authoritarians, autocrats and technocrats are still contemptuously pushing around citizens. I hear that French teachers are on strike - roll on the election. :whistle:

Yes a little more divine neglect please :lol: less fiddling and interference from busy bodies. Let all these finely balanced business processes and systems get back to work.
By Dave W
malcolmfrost wrote:Not good.....

Oh, I dunno. Looks to be heading very much in the right direction in the UK.

Less good news for the Australian attempt at Zero Covid, mind you.
StratoTramp, flybymike liked this
By StratoTramp
It's all in different phases around the globe. All Australia have done with zero covid is chuck all the junk in the closet. It is about to spill back out. At one point their stupid lockdown prevented people going out to get vacinnes.

Australia may get a tsunami of all the other bugs they have missed whilst being lockdown fanatics. By being constantly exposed to these things your immune system gets a workout.

Boris is getting pasted now - rightfully so. but he did a good thing waiting at Xmas to test the doomsday modes of sage.

By waiting we all saw what happened in reality diverged massively from the farcical models. Just like it did in July.

We need to keep testing this silly models rather than following then blindly. The models need to be adjusted into reality. Or perhaps screw any models and just look at reality.
Robin500, flybymike liked this
Models are models, not right or wrong. What we need to do is think about the parameters being input and evaluate the probability of them happening. All the UK ever publicises are the worst possible cases with no discussion on how likely that is. The models can easily demonstrate other outcomes - those are not being shown.
By PeteSpencer
Who cares about a load of drink spotties?

The baying red-top stirred up mob were all at it Some got caught some didn’t .

Meantime vaccinations roared ahead, millions had their jobs saved by financial hand-outs and right now employment is above pre pandemic levels .

What short memories we have. :roll:
AndyR, MikeE, eltonioni and 1 others liked this
I'm struggling to get overexcited by Partygate. Fact is, the stupid laws / rules / made-up-rules shouldn't have applied across the board to anyone, so whether anyone followed or broke them is moot.

We might have been better not emptying hospital beds of C19 positive vulnerable folk back into their nursing homes full of other vulnerable folk, issuing properly functioning PPE FOC to those same vulnerable people and their carers / families, shielding them properly from snotty grandchildren who should have been in school anyway, and actually isolating C19 patients in the eye wateringly expensive Nightingales that were never used.

But no, repurposed PJs, paper flimsies, closing universities and corner shops... that'll do it. :roll:
skydriller, StratoTramp liked this
By skydriller
I remember well in the first half of 2020 the UK "guidance" perpetuated as "rules" which mostly wasnt "the law" until many months later. I particularly remember extensive hand-wringing by many on here about if "we are allowed to fly" which unsurprisingly resulted in a much more stringent "interpretation" by the CAA that was the actual law. :roll:

That the UK media/press whipped up a frenzy of fear that pressured, cajoled and even relished, the UK population being confined and restricted by "guidance" and now seeks to be outraged just makes me laugh. I havent forgotten the way much of Europe enacted Real Laws that had armed police out asking "vot are you doing, ver are you going, ver are you papers" at regular roadblocks everytime you left the house. It wasnt something I ever thought I would see outsde of tin-pot dictatorships in the third world. That is what "the free media/press" should have been outraged about.

Regards, SD..
I don’t suppose the people dragged into court and fined for holding “gatherings” think they were simply ignoring “guidance”.
Nor those people banned from seeing dying relatives or stopped from hugging people at funerals.............
There are two possibilities here; either the guidance was wrong and these people felt able to ignore it or the guidance was right and they believed it didn’t apply to them, just everyone else. Either way, for people whose jobs involve presenting things to the public and influencing behaviour, it was monumentally stupid. On stupiditygrounds alone they should lose their jobs.
StratoTramp, flybymike, Flyin'Dutch' and 4 others liked this
By skydriller
Flyingfemme wrote:I don’t suppose the people dragged into court and fined for holding “gatherings” think they were simply ignoring “guidance”

Depends when in 2020 and in which part of the UK you live...

Flyingfemme wrote:Nor those people banned from seeing dying relatives or stopped from hugging people at funerals.............

Was this the government? Or was this the hospital or care home implementing these rules?

There were all sorts of really wierd things going on in the UK in the spring/summer of 2020, and most of it was Gold Plating relative to the actual laws of the time. Conversely in many European countries the actual Laws were very clear. There was definitely across the board a desire to "do the right thing" even if it meant going above and beyond the law itself.

Regards, SD..
By Dave W
Flyingfemme wrote:... or stopped from hugging people at funerals...

This footage still drives me incandescent. The lack of respect and basic humanity remains truly jaw-dropping.

I'm more outraged about that - because of its real and undoubtedly enduring harm - than I am about a cross party bunch of known hypocrites being hypocritical again.
StratoTramp, Flyingfemme, MikeB and 2 others liked this