For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Propwash wrote:How does the number of people in each country who have received both vaccinations compare, and could that be a factor in severity of infection?

PW

It might be although on the whole only those who have not been vaccinated at all are the ones who end up positive AND in hospital.

We will have to wait and see.

Good news here in Germanskiland is that the vaccination committee has concluded that those who have had C19 only need 1 jab to be considered fully covered.

There has been a lot of talk for some time in the journals that this might be a possibility but having it implemented now is great as it means a huge reduction in bureaucratic burden (and a truckload or 1000000 as they are not quite at the stage here that presenting your arm is informed consent! <- Understatement of the year)
MikeB liked this
By johnm
Just be cautious about the data from HMG it's reissued everyday at 1600 but not all the data is updated every day. So although we can see cases moving exponentially on a day by day basis hospital admissions are still showing only the figures up to 8th June, I assume it will be updated tomorrow.
johnm wrote:... we can see cases moving exponentially on a day by day basis...

You can? The graph shows cases roughly doubling in two weeks so where will we find the exponential growth data?

johnm wrote:...hospital admissions ...

Right now, there are fewer people in hospital with Covid* than there are hospitals. Put that together with the low case growth, it seems a little premature to worry about overwhelming the NHS unless you are looking at different data, so could you link? :?

* ISTR that more people died of diabetes this week.
Charles Hunt liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote: as they are not quite at the stage here that presenting your arm is informed consent! <- Understatement of the year)

When I had my az second jab, I was specifically asked if I was giving my consent. I didn't recall being asked this at the first one, which I received just as the blood clot issue was surfacing.

I also found it a bit strange as I would have thought my presence at the vaccination centre was proof enough of my consent. I just put it down to the fact that either I hadn't noticed at the first one, or it was just a new protocol introduced following the clotting issue.
@Paultheparaglider that's extraordinary, at least to Western eyes. It's basically repurposing the Chinese addiction to gambling.

Maybe the UK could come up with similar incentivising, perhaps a free portion of cod and chips. Extra mushy peas if you're under 30 and volunteer for OxAz, or a battered haggis for ScotsNats.

/usefulstereotyping
Sydney, Australia: another possible transmission within a quarantine hotel :( .. however, illustrating the virtue of rapid genomic testing :thumright:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-15/ ... /100218310
By johnm
Tracking hospital admissions and those actually in hospital is quite tricky, the data is not consistent across the four countries and admissions is running 6 days behind the calendar and those currently in hospital 4 days behind.

It looks as if there is a slight uptick in hospital population which, given the exponential growth of cases, is clearly to be expected. I assume that the figure of those hospitalised is nett of admissions and discharges and it seems to be increasing by around 20 to 30 per day, which is encouragingly tiny relative to the rate of cases.

The ZOE analysis of symptoms suggests that delta doesn't have as much impact on lung function as alpha and others, it's more like a bad cold apparently.

Let's hope the case rate doesn't create yet another mutation.....
That's nice to see. It does show that real confidence, like real power, comes from the seething masses below rather than being imposed from on high by officials and those who say they know best. If that confidence level isn't there to begin with there don't seem to be many if any short-cuts, it just takes time. Sadly, I heard that the Dutch are requiring vaccine passports to get into large events so maybe some of the confidence is misplaced.
By Flyin'Dutch'
The Dutch have twice experienced a peak which lead to people needed to be transferred out of the country for ITU treatment so maybe they understand that this is still a problem and they have established that those landing on ITU now are those who have not been vaccinated.

Simple adding up, subtracting and coming to obvious conclusions; not the dutch' weakest point.
kanga, JAFO liked this