For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
johnm wrote:Whether that is sane or insane depends on the model. It should require a test on arrival, 7 days isolation and another test... anything less is insane.

It isn't.

Several serious PH and other institutes who know a thing or three about infectious diseases are of teh view that having completed a full vaccination regime means that the chance that the patient gets infected and become infectious to others is that small that they do not recommend further testing other than when people get symptoms.

CDC in the States and RKI in Germany. If there is advice to the contrary from another sound advising club then I would be grateful for a link.
eltonioni, Colonel Panic, Flyingfemme and 1 others liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Colonel Panic wrote:Daughter #2 recently returned from Spain; prior to flying she had to take a PCR test, then on Days 2, 5 (test to release) and 8 she sent a PCR test off to the UK authorities. All 4 tests were negative.

She received a Track & Trace call on the landline EVERY single day at various times which surprised us - but a Good Thing.

Great.

And who said Dido Harding's did not contribute to an efficent system - her departure clearly has had a positive effect on the service.

:D
Colonel Panic liked this
By johnm
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
CDC in the States and RKI in Germany. If there is advice to the contrary from another sound advising club then I would be grateful for a link.

I don't have a link, I'm looking at this from a risk management not a medical perspective. If the disease is rampant then the risk of picking up a variant that you can carry even if vaccinated and that hasn't yet been spotted has to be considered. If the risk control method is easy and cheap why not use it?
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:John, that is not risk management, but over the top.

There has to be consideration for all angles of a problem

The only effective risk management is to quarantine everyone over 70, those with relevant health issues, and everyone living with those people until the virus has been eradicated worldwide.
Last edited by eltonioni on Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
By johnm
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:John, that is not risk management, but over the top.

There has to be consideration for all angles of a problem

You might be right but I'm a touch risk averse at the moment ..... :D

I might be over-reacting to the lousy risk management we've seen over the last year and in fairness at this point I'm of a mind to overdo rather than underdo. I'm mindful of Jeremy Farrar's remark that from a global perspective we're nearer the beginning of the pandemic than the end.....

I'm also conscious that the spread and risk of generating new variants is from the young who are increasingly showing up in the hospital lists.....
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Paultheparaglider wrote:
Are you seriously suggesting you would take the advice of CDC and RKI above the received wisdom of the Flyer Forum? :wink:

I know.....and of course sorry for challenging it too!

@johnm Those who want/have to be careful are of course free to do so but public health is relevant to the public at large and can not 1:1 be translated to each individual.

The wobbling advice and management doled out by some governments or their agencies has rightly some people wary and unsure, and those who have been ultrasceptical in respect of that advice and the bases on which it was given were right on the money as we are now learning from recent 'revelations'

But we are not going near politics, for that there are other outlets.

I agree with those who say we ain't done yet with this virus but I would like to think that as time goes on the population will become more and more primed to the various variants and hopefully we don't get a particular variant which escapes immun system and vaccination. With the current variants it was difficult enough as it was virulent and had a longer incubation time. Not a great combo for a quiet life!
JAFO wrote:
kanga wrote:..

.. but, reportedly, both those being hospitalised and that subset of them needing unusually high care eg ICU, and those suffering long term effects, are all younger than equivalents in earlier waves

Due to the variant or the fact that the young are less likely to be vaccinated? I presume the latter.

Quite possibly, but I claim no competence to presume nor guess :?
I think some people are confusing risk management with risk elimination. One is sensible and the other, in any area of normal life, is impossible. Life is a risky business at the best of times. Best to accept that fact and adjust your personal activities to minimise it while still leading a life worth having.

PW
eltonioni, Charles Hunt, Flyin'Dutch' and 4 others liked this
Daughter #2 is 27, lives in Spain but has not had any vaccinations; she is booked in to have at least one in the UK next w/e, but that rather depends on whether she can bring the second one forward a bit as having two jabs in different countries may well compromise any "passport" issues in the future.

The cost of the Spanish test was €60, & then we had to pay £105 for the "normal" two tests, and an additional £58 for the Test To Release which shortened the quarantine. It will also cost her ~£60 for the test to leave the UK when she goes back out.