For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A4 Pacific wrote:The issue here is about the carriage of a passenger who has demonstrated they will not obey the lawful order of the captain? When else will they fail to obey instructions issued purely for the safety of those on board?

I can agree on that point taking completely literally - but the biggest risk in this case was probably the alcohol (uppity physical threat) rather than the lack of mask. Can take 3 people to restrain 1, but if you have got to the stage where you have to restrain an agitated passenger it's not ideal. I know attendants are trained in how to de-escalate a situation before it gets to that stage.

Remove the alcohol & It's a jump from not wearing a mask to danger to flight. It's not going to make the engines explode. Why not just detain this side. The whole situation is completely unnecessary from giving people things to fight over, being drunk on a flight (sounds like) and diverting.

I've seen videos of it both ways. Crazy hysterical people not wearing masks causing issues, crazy hysterical people with masks shouting at people who are just sitting calmly.
Last edited by StratoTramp on Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Flyin'Dutch'
StratoTramp wrote:[
It's still a jump from not wearing a mask to danger to flight. It's not going to make the engines explode. Why not just detain this side.

Non-compliant people are not going to comply with other instructions which may well are needed later on in flight.

And why put up with an @r5ehole for 7 plus hours? No doubt the US courts deal with these sorts of folks in a swift and much more harsh way than a UK one. What a shame.
JAFO, kanga, Newfy liked this
I would always prefer to deal with an obstructive passenger whilst close to diversion alternates rather than deal with an escalation in the middle of the Atlantic. I don’t care whether that’s due to a drunk or not.

This really isn’t in any way difficult to understand. Yet you seem to think it’s “insanity”? :roll:
JAFO, kanga, Newfy liked this
StratoTramp wrote:Accept the protection we have from vacines, protect yourself with a mask if you want and stop treating everyone else as zombies.

Masks are not about protecting yourself. If we have got through nearly two years of this without people grasping that simple fact then heaven help us.

Masks are about not being an arrogant, ignorant t@ and taking a very simple step to protect others.
kanga, Newfy liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
JAFO wrote:Masks are about not being an arrogant, ignorant t@ and taking a very simple step to protect others.

What I don't 'get' (and more so on other Social Media than here) is that those who are very vociferous about not wanting to wear a mask are so intolerant of those who do want to wear them.

Why is that?

What other people want to wear (on any part of their body or not) is their own choice, innit?
By flybymike
Masks are about not being an arrogant, ignorant t@ and taking a very simple step to protect others.

Why then have the government removed the requirement to wear them, preferably in perpetuity? Are they all covidiots who have failed to take on the great wisdom emanating from this forum. Are we all going to die as a result of this irresponsibility?
Why then have the government removed the requirement to wear them, preferably in perpetuity?

In the midst of very high levels of infections, the answer to that question just might be linked to the fact that the UK has ‘enjoyed’ one of the highest excess death rates in the developed world?

But then I’m no epidemiologist. I shall await the assembled view of the learned masses in this very place to explain why that is a mischaracterisation of this government’s sterling efforts to prioritise the economy over life.

Frank, the exact opposite of that remark would be far more accurate.
Just look at the utterances over the last few posts.

“the last few posts” were discussing an incident where a mask was required to be worn, but an individual refused to comply with that requirement.
Last edited by A4 Pacific on Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAFO liked this
@flybymike - if someone on an aeroplane chooses not to wear a mask then that has a possible negative impact on their fellow travellers.

If someone chooses to wear a mask (if none is required) that has no possible negative impact on anybody. Why would you or me or @StratoTramp or anybody else care?

That's the difference and that's why refusing to wear a mask when one is deemed to be a requirement makes them an arrogant, ignorant t@.
Last edited by JAFO on Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A4 Pacific, kanga, Newfy liked this
By StratoTramp
It deffo cuts both ways. In my post I said if you want to wear them wear them. Like you would any other bit of clothing.

I'm not intolerant I'm saying turn the other cheek both ways. Compared to heavy hitters like the vaccine it's not worth arguing about or having them mandated.
flybymike liked this
But @StratoTramp that's the very point. It does not go both ways.

If you choose not to wear a mask then you are refusing to take a simple step which might protect others.

If you choose to wear a mask, you are having no possible negative impact on others at all.

Everything isn't about rights, sometimes it's about responsibilities.
StratoTramp wrote:It deffo cuts both ways. In my post I said if you want to wear them wear them. Like you would any other bit of clothing.

I'm not intolerant I'm saying turn the other cheek both ways. Compared to heavy hitters like the vaccine it's not worth arguing about or having them mandated.

This is about choosing a situation, knowing and accepting that a mask IS mandated to be worn, but refusing to wear one.

What is it you don’t get?
JAFO, Newfy liked this
By StratoTramp
The whole situation since about July last year. I suppose, probably the law itself. It will change soon.

Perhaps the stewardesses need to calm you down. Just live and let live. You'll give yourself a heart attack.

People are healthy most of the year. They have been vacinated and tested before the flight. Ok you say they might have lied (unlikely - humanity is underrated), but harder to lie about vacinne status.

I can see it's an enclosed space so maybe masks help - but equally over a duration of 8 hours, with blowers pushing it (if it's there) all over the aircraft?

The first two are really the only things that matter for this virus which was always mostly survivable in the first place with the average age of death over 80. People have been complaint enough over 2 years.
flybymike wrote:Presumably then JAFO, you will continue to exercise your “responsibility” by wearing a mask forever more.
After all, illness, respiratory infection and death will never disappear.

While two thirds of a million people are testing positive every week and more than 14,000 are being hospitalised with more than ten percent of that number dying, I will continue to do what I can to help stop the spread. Doesn't seem like much to ask of me, really.