For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
malcolmfrost wrote:Why should I, as a taxpayer pay for something you need to go on holiday? I don't pay for your passport :D

Others might argue that leaving something as important to national security to 'the market' is not the way forward....

Luckily enough we've not seen any failures of 'the market' and C19 testing as yet.

:roll:
johnm liked this
malcolmfrost wrote:
Keveng wrote:
AndyR wrote:Why are people paying for LFTs?

Or have I missed something?
I’ve lost count of how many I’ve done, we have to do them before commencing each shift at work. But I’ve never paid for them, just ordered another box every week or so.

Cant use the free ones for travel purposes , you have to have a paid for one , just one of the twisted rules imposed

Why should I, as a taxpayer pay for something you need to go on holiday? I don't pay for your passport :D

Are you implying that i am not a tax payer ? i do the LFT to be as sure as i can that i dont carry the virus out into society , i still think it odd that i can do a free test on the same day i need to travel and have to provide a paid test two days after i return to follow some badly thought out rule. As can be seen by the 61 positive cases on the 2 KLM flights ,

FWIW i have no issue paying for the test and the comment was to clarify that the "FREE" tests weren't valid for travel.
eltonioni wrote:
Out of interest, just what happens if you don't submit a test within 48 hours of return to the UK? Who is going to enforce it, how and under what laws? And what is the penalty for not bothering apart from very dirty looks from forumites?

I appreciate you are just being playful eltonioni, but clearly we all benefit from working together to minimise the effects of covid. The penalty of such a refusal to use a test is that it is just one more small part of the bigger picture of general selfishness and stupidity that allows such viruses to thrive. We all pay a price for that. Including the selfish and stupid.

That was a lovely photo.
eltonioni wrote:
Propwash wrote: @eltonioni It was a nice rainbow this evening, but the shower started just as my BBQ was building up to cook. Can’t complain too much after seeing the news from the UK following Storm Arwen.

PW
A photo from home today. Might find an excuse to move the flights back a few days. :lol:

Out of interest, just what happens if you don't submit a test within 48 hours of return to the UK? Who is going to enforce it, how and under what laws? And what is the penalty for not bothering apart from very dirty looks from forumites?

I would suggest it isn't enforceable , however remember when we could self isolate at home and idiots decided that is didn't apply to them , we got enforced holiday stays in hotels at our cost , so the suggestion would be play by the rules and everyone benefits.
Paultheparaglider liked this
By johnm
We know what is sensible, we have known for almost 2 years, but the pandemic of selfishness and stupidity rages on..... :roll:

Two negative LFT this morning so we're good to go to the concert tonight :-) We'll still wear masks as a courtesy to others too. :D
By Flyin'Dutch'
malcolmfrost wrote:International travel is optional, I don't think it should effectively be funded by the taxpayer (I've paid for a PCR to go to SA and a LF on Day 2, incidentally I was sent a free PCR after being identified off my PLF, so that is the National Security bit ticked).

People travel for other reasons than pleasure.

No?
AndyR liked this
By MikeB
Keveng wrote:Cant use the free ones for travel purposes , you have to have a paid for one , just one of the twisted rules imposed

2 points to make about this.

First: W hen you order a test you are given a reference which must be registered on a govt travel locator website. Then, you enter the results of that test on the same website, thus providing a straightforward mechanism for tracking any who haven't complied.

Second: Taxpayers money should not be used to subsidise testing for travel
johnm liked this
By johnm
We get free LFT from the local pharmacy in return for a spot of bureaucracy. We typically use them to check ourselves before we go off to events like concerts and theatres not entirely sure why that should be free and travel charged for to be honest....
By Flyin'Dutch'
MikeB wrote:
Keveng wrote:Cant use the free ones for travel purposes , you have to have a paid for one , just one of the twisted rules imposed

2 points to make about this.

First: W hen you order a test you are given a reference which must be registered on a govt travel locator website. Then, you enter the results of that test on the same website, thus providing a straightforward mechanism for tracking any who haven't complied.

Second: Taxpayers money should not be used to subsidise testing for travel

FTAOD - it is not the paying for tests when traveling that is the/my issue.

It is the dismal way 'the market' is serving the country whilst racketeering.

We did a day 2 test back in September for 2 people, pricely sum of 160 quid, and got the result.................5 days later, after we'd been to a wedding and travelling through the UK.

Now, we are not idiots and as a registered testcentrum have access to tests at nominal tests which we of course did on T-0, 1,3 and 4 as we don't ant to be the bearers of C19, but others won't or can't.

:shock:
By AndyR
malcolmfrost wrote:
Keveng wrote:
AndyR wrote:Why are people paying for LFTs?

Or have I missed something?
I’ve lost count of how many I’ve done, we have to do them before commencing each shift at work. But I’ve never paid for them, just ordered another box every week or so.

Cant use the free ones for travel purposes , you have to have a paid for one , just one of the twisted rules imposed

Why should I, as a taxpayer pay for something you need to go on holiday? I don't pay for your passport :D

That thought had not really registered; my only holidays for two years have been in the UK. Too much hassle going abroad, bad enough the occasional times I've done for AOG flights.
For those of you who are currently abroad and not sure when these latest rules come in to force I can confirm (from my Passenger Locator Form) that they will be in place after 04.00 on Tuesday 30th November.

Why oh why couldn't that rather useful piece of information have been imparted during the announcement yesterday? I have trawled so many different sites trying to find the facts and it is only now when I am filling out my form that I have discovered when the new rules come into play.

So frustrating!
Propwash liked this