For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
kanga wrote:
Bill McCarthy wrote:Remember those fever hospitals on the outskirts of townships - painted cream with red corrugated roofs. They’ve been around here until recently, some demolished, others converted to youth hostels.

.. some sold off cheaply in the '80s, then turned by developers into posh country clubs with golf courses in their often spacious grounds or posh country hotels. In some cases, as with some airfield sites (see several other threads :? ), developers managed to persude Councillors (despite central government clarification of the PPG) that the entire curtilage could be regarded as 'formerly developed' and they became housing estates.

Ahem @kanga ... "sold off" at the best market price of the time. I wish I had a pound for everyone who ever told me ten years after the event how I nicked a site.

/pointoforder :)

On airfields, absolutely correct. Councils all over the land screw up their housing numbers because they dare not make the right decisions to achieve the new builds that their constituents need. Decent developers know how to spin their incompetent wishful thinking agin them. Sadly airfields are often easy meat as it makes other hard issues go away AND they get to blame nasty developers instead of voters blaming the council.

In other on-topic news;
Doctors' workload will be "temporarily suspended" so they can focus on the Covid-19 booster vaccination programme, the Health Secretary has said.

Take care people, don't be ill with anything except a Covid sniffle. :(
flybymike liked this
Boosters yesterday, Pfizer over A-Z. (Edit - Brain fade, booster was Moderna not Pfizer)

I had no after effects for the first two, but for the Pfizer I have a pretty sore arm - and maybe a bit of temperature yesterday evening.

Zoe was laid low for 36 hrs with the first two, Moderna looking similar at the moment.
Last edited by Charles Hunt on Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB liked this
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Had nothing on either of my pfizers it is so weird how it affects people differently (though i
I suppose mine may have been saline solution with a microchip :lol: ) one of my colleagues was off 3 days with it.

I was a bit miffed as I cancelled a flying lesson for it at the time and it was a non-event, but I suppose you never know. Better than having a reaction whilst flying :lol:

EDIT: FOLLOWING POTENTIALLY #FAKENEWS. :cyclopsani: My brother actually had moderna. Not Pfizer They have stopped giving this to people born after 1991. Which is him (1997)

My younger brother had Pfizer, he ended up with long tubular blisters all over his legs. Really weird.
Last edited by StratoTramp on Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StratoTramp wrote:
My younger brother had Pfizer, he ended up with long tubular blisters all over his legs. Really weird.

I am really starting to wonder if the skin problem I had in the spring, still undiagnosed but which as it cleared up over the summer I put down to some sort of allergy, was a reaction to the AZ vaccine. It appeared about 3 weeks after the first jab, got worse and worse after the second and briefly returned in a much milder form after the booster (which I know was a different type - but addressing the same virus). The GP system couldn’t explain it, but as they only tried remotely is hardly surprising. It will make me think long and hard about a further booster if that is offered. Never had anything remotely like it before and don’t want it again.

PW
StratoTramp liked this
By StratoTramp
I'll see if I can find a picture :eye: :cyclopsani:

I'm not that fussed about a booster depsite no reaction. Though in family reaction worrying. I'll take it when I need to travel (condition of entry) But not bothered otherwise. 2 is enough for me whatever science says. Done my bit. Jumping off the merry-go-round.

Been onsite for 2 years. Pretty certain I had it at the start. Off for a week in feb 2019. Wiped out everyone else too. No sick days since not even a sniffle (or before to be honest, guess that's why covid was severe before vacination). Never I'll got a whole week.

We work in quite a crowded environment with multiple external visitors few Odd bits in the team including positive cases, mostly kept at home after detection. But it still leaves all the run up in the same environment before detection. No masks in workplace (well can by choice) but nobody does. Including those who shielded at the start. Making their own risk judgements. Maybe we were "front loaded" as a team. My boss brought an awful rasping cough back from france the week before.
Last edited by StratoTramp on Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
By AndyR
I had my third Pfizer jab on Sunday evening. I went to work at 0430 on Monday morning. Was tired when I got home (more than usual) but that was the only side effect, if indeed it was that.

However, my wife had her third jab at the same time and has been totally wiped out all week. Also full of aches and pains.

The variances between peoples reactions to the vaccines do seem to be remarkably variable.
Flyin'Dutch', eltonioni liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
What has been known from studies for some time is something I now can also observe in my practice.

We now do PCR tests in heaps again but also retest as double vaccinated asymptomatic people can get out of quarantine if they remain asymptomatic and their PCR/LF is negative.

Those, as I can see now in our population, are almost invariably negative after 5 days. Reassuring.
kanga, Paultheparaglider, johnm and 1 others liked this
StratoTramp wrote:
I'm not that fussed about a booster depsite no reaction. Though in family reaction worrying. I'll take it when I need to travel (condition of entry) But not bothered otherwise. 2 is enough for me whatever science says. Done my bit. Jumping off the merry-go-round.

ST,

Get the booster. If you had no problems from the first 2 jabs, then the risks from this are minimal. To be honest, it sounds as though your risks from covid are low too, but what if you happen to be the rare exception in your age group that reacts badly to omicron or a future variant? Think about the potential impact on your family if the worst case happened and you were one of that tiny minority that thought it could never happen to you.

We all go to what can sometimes appear to be ridiculous extremes to keep safe flying because those extremely rare occurrences do actually happen. Apply the same thinking here.

I'm past believing that we can get proper full herd immunity from vaccination, so I'm not going to attempt to persuade you from a social responsibility stance. Personally, I think there would be more social benefits from you wearing masks in enclosed indoor areas.

Stick on that merry go round. I don't know you so won't miss you if the worst happens, but there are probably quite a few who would. And definitely your family.

Do it for them, if not for yourself.
JAFO liked this
By PeteSpencer
StratoTramp wrote:I'm not that fussed about a booster depsite no reaction. Though in family reaction worrying. I'll take it when I need to travel (condition of entry) But not bothered otherwise. 2 is enough for me whatever science says. Done my bit. Jumping off the merry-go-round.

Unwise and dare I say it, selfish stance................. :wink:

In line with the best anti-vaxxers (my bold)

Difficult to better the words uttered by CEO of Pfizer today (I know, I know, MRDM) in response to anti-vaxxers:

'An even stronger emotion than fear or anger is love, so do it to protect the ones you love'
PeteSpencer wrote:
StratoTramp wrote:I'm not that fussed about a booster depsite no reaction. Though in family reaction worrying. I'll take it when I need to travel (condition of entry) But not bothered otherwise. 2 is enough for me whatever science says. Done my bit. Jumping off the merry-go-round.

Unwise and dare I say it, selfish stance................. :wink:

In line with the best anti-vaxxers (my bold)

Difficult to better the words uttered by CEO of Pfizer today (I know, I know, MRDM) in response to anti-vaxxers:

'An even stronger emotion than fear or anger is love, so do it to protect the ones you love'

...CEO presumably referring to his Pfizer shareholders....ok, not helping I know...
A Councillor in England plans to defy advice and regulation on face coverings:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c ... e-59497485

.. while in Wales a cinema owner defies an explicit Court order to close:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59496814