For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Am I the only one that doesnt understand why a health worker who obviously has a very high risk of catching C19, wouldnt want to get the C19 vaccination?

If the way things went in France is anything to go by, only a tiny number of those health workers currently protesting and/or saying they dont want to be vaccinated, will not cave in and be laid-off.
Flyin'Dutch', eltonioni, PeteSpencer and 1 others liked this
I say they should be vaccinated, but I’d never say they must.
How would we react if compulsory blood donation (extraction) was implemented to solve a health crisis? It benefits others, but poses a risk without benefit to the giver

I also wonder how many NHS vaccine refusers have had Covid and so have some immunity?
Meanwhile, in other news - a friendly collection of anti-covid restriction protestors showed their support to Brussels police for helping them exercise their right to peaceful protest yesterday (28 seconds into the video) :shock: :roll:

As for the protest spokesman in this clip (1:53) - I'm certainly no military history buff, but is that really an SS "Totenkopf" skull and crossbones he's sporting?

I feel so much better that these lovely people are looking out for my freedom!

For info, organisers have the crowd at 500,000.
Police say 50k max.
skydriller wrote:Am I the only one that doesnt understand why a health worker who obviously has a very high risk of catching C19, wouldnt want to get the C19 vaccination?

If the way things went in France is anything to go by, only a tiny number of those health workers currently protesting and/or saying they dont want to be vaccinated, will not cave in and be laid-off.

I’m married to one. She won’t have it due to the side effects that she’s at high risk from. She’s seen more people her age suffering from vaccine issues than from covid. On top of that she has antibodies from previous exposure (which was a slight cough treated with Lemsip), so what’s the point in risking the vaccine?

The pay’s ****, the conditions are ****, and the Trusts couldn’t care less bout the staff, so why risk your health for that? She found a new job last week and handed her notice in yesterday as she’s had enough.
flybymike liked this
The presence recorded of vaccine-related adverse events (such as anaphylaxis) is a reason for medical exemption.

The presence of antibodies from previous infection should be another, and I believe the reason many staff refuse vaccination. (It may form part of a u-turn by the government).
flybymike liked this
@Jim Jones - any idea what the cost and accuracy of antibody level tests are?

It continues to befuddle me that we are - in effect - fighting blind by not checking antibody levels, and making a huge hoo-ha about vaccinating those who have recently recovered from an infection.

Not just weird uppity tennis players I mean.

Admit to knowing nothing about testing for antibody levels btw….but if the logic of vaccines is to increase antibody levels, then how can it be “better” than having had “the real thing” in the previous few weeks/months?
Spooky, flybymike liked this
TopCat wrote:
Spooky wrote:She’s seen more people her age suffering from vaccine issues than from covid.

That's quite an assertion. Care to elaborate?

My wife is late 30s, remember that most suffering badly with covid are in their 70s/80s. She has said that if she was over 60 she might risk it as the older age groups don’t seem to be suffering the adverse reactions, but are obviously more at risk from covid. Most of the adverse reactions she sees are in the under 50s who are at little risk from covid.
By Flyin'Dutch'
OCB wrote:@Jim Jones - any idea what the cost and accuracy of antibody level tests are?

About 25 quid

OCB wrote:It continues to befuddle me that we are - in effect - fighting blind by not checking antibody levels, and making a huge hoo-ha about vaccinating those who have recently recovered from an infection.

That's what studies are for innit?

That's how they know that it does wane, is better after 1 booster and even better still after 2.

There is no capacity to do ABs on everyone, apart from the logistics and costs there won't be many people volunteering to supply a sample.

OCB wrote:Admit to knowing nothing about testing for antibody levels btw….but if the logic of vaccines is to increase antibody levels, then how can it be “better” than having had “the real thing” in the previous few weeks/months?

I am no immunologist as to why it happens but from those studies it appear it does.

I don't know about everywhere but here you have the 2g rule. You need to be 'genesen' (recovered from an infection - as evidenced by official PCR test) or 'geimpft' (vaccinated) with basic immunisation + booster.
MikeB, kanga liked this
By MikeE
The Zoe study (November 2019) tested just over 8000 people for antibodies who had previously tested positive for covid-19. They found

"...that four out of five people infected with COVID-19 ended up with protective antibodies afterwards, it means that one in five did not, and they could be at greater risk of getting infected again."

Of course, it is more complex than that and the full article is here -

https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/covid-in ... protection

Best wishes

Mike
Paultheparaglider, OCB liked this
By TopCat
Spooky wrote:
TopCat wrote:
Spooky wrote:She’s seen more people her age suffering from vaccine issues than from covid.

That's quite an assertion. Care to elaborate?

My wife is late 30s, remember that most suffering badly with covid are in their 70s/80s. She has said that if she was over 60 she might risk it as the older age groups don’t seem to be suffering the adverse reactions, but are obviously more at risk from covid. Most of the adverse reactions she sees are in the under 50s who are at little risk from covid.

I was hoping you were going to elaborate on the nature and, if possible, even anecdotal information about the frequency of these adverse reactions.
JAFO liked this
By flybymike
Jim Jones wrote:The presence recorded of vaccine-related adverse events (such as anaphylaxis) is a reason for medical exemption.

The presence of antibodies from previous infection should be another, and I believe the reason many staff refuse vaccination. (It may form part of a u-turn by the government).

With 90% of the population having received at least one dose, 64% with three doses, and an estimated 97% of the population already with antibodies, it seems to me there is hardly anyone who doesn’t have antibodies.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... antibodies

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations
By skydriller
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I don't know about everywhere but here you have the 2g rule. You need to be 'genesen' (recovered from an infection - as evidenced by official PCR test) or 'geimpft' (vaccinated) with basic immunisation + booster.

In France health workers need a "health passport". I believe that proof of infection in the last 6 months is accepted as is vaccination in the last 6 months.

If you accept the logic of vaccination then the above logic follows too. I suspect Boris will go down this route for health workers if he doesnt cave completely...

Regards, SD..