For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
PeteSpencer wrote:Who cares about a load of drink spotties?

Meantime vaccinations roared ahead,

Point of order - at the time of these parties no vaccines had been given to anyone - that did not start until December 2020.

Who cares?

Maybe those who made great personal and professional sacrifices and maybe those who think that rules are there for everyone..

Maybe those who quite like honesty.
kanga, Newfy liked this
By PeteSpencer
I guess what I meant, but wasn't clear, was we (UK) roared ahead in vaccine development, having by virtue of Brexit, ditched the pan-European ties to doing it the 'Brussels way' of procurement.

Much to Macron's evident chagrin. :wink:

As for honesty: I occasionally exceed the speed limit (and have been nabbed), breaking a national law.

I would question that that makes me inherently 'dishonest'.
StratoTramp, flybymike liked this
By StratoTramp
I was probably paraphrasing the modelling bit from this podcast a bit at about 7 minutes in. I don't know much about Carl (He might be one of the experts put on the naughty step), but a lot of what he was saying sounded logical.

Thought the bit about the care homes was interesting.

Keeping people out has a bad effect as the elderly often need an advocate to make sure things are happening, even down to the level to check the residents are still drinking and eating - Apparently if they get a bit feverish their thirst sense goes. Then they die from renal failure because nobody who actually knows their past behaviour has been allowed to see them.

If you are dead you are dead nothing has been achieved if that death is from renal failure rather than covid.
flybymike liked this
PeteSpencer wrote:..we (UK) roared ahead in vaccine development, having by virtue of Brexit, ditched the pan-European ties to doing it the 'Brussels way' of procurement.

there was nothing in EU membership which would have prevented that. It started during the UK's Transition period; and Hungary, another EU member, unilaterally chose to procure the Russian vaccine, then (and I believe still) not approved by the EU Medicines Agency. Such things were and are under national competence.

</mythbusting>
MikeB, Flyin'Dutch', Smaragd and 2 others liked this
By PeteSpencer
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:I guess...........

.......st'.

You really do need to diversify the sources of your information.....

When I look at the tonnes of opinionated cr ap spouted on here daily , one little turd doesn't make a ha'porth of difference.............. :lol: :lol:

The only thing on here I take seriously y'know is advice so freely and unconditionally given when requested. :wink:
StratoTramp liked this
kanga wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:..we (UK) roared ahead in vaccine development, having by virtue of Brexit, ditched the pan-European ties to doing it the 'Brussels way' of procurement.

there was nothing in EU membership which would have prevented that. It started during the UK's Transition period; and Hungary, another EU member, unilaterally chose to procure the Russian vaccine, then (and I believe still) not approved by the EU Medicines Agency. Such things were and are under national competence.

</mythbusting>

A reply that Sir Humphrey would be proud of Kanga :thumright:

As we all know the EU Commission put huge energy in to (potentially illegally) side-lining those very same "national competencies" in a health power grab to centralise development, procurement and distribution across the EU27. At the same time they and their prime national movers expended equal, if not more, effort to undermine those nations which (embarrassingly for the EU) moved faster and more effectively including the very one where the EU's former health regulator had carried on in national form - the UK.

The horrific consequences to both health and society are being felt right now on the European mainland and will take years to unravel, maybe with (even more) bloodshed.

Orwell would have had a view on calling it "competencies" and he even invented a word for it; Doublespeak.

^ point of order, not a rabbit hole for the thread. :)
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:@eltonioni Are you OK?

I'm lovely hun. Same time tomorrow? :afro:

Edit, in other news: NHS embarks on risk based solution to risk based problem... allegedly.

NHS will start sacking unvaccinated staff early next month

All frontline workers are required to have had two Covid jabs by April 1, meaning first dose must have been administered by Feb 3

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/0 ... ext-month/

In other Royal news, for the Queen's 70th Jubilee there's a new National Anthem.

Flyin'Dutch', flybymike liked this
Once again, today's 'More or Less' had some topical content:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0013jbx

"Released On: 19 Jan 2022
Available for over a year

Are women 32% more likely to die after operation by a male surgeon? Headlines asserting this were shared across social media recently - but the truth is a bit more complicated.

We compare the price and the quality of the UK’s Test and Trace system with that of Germany and check on what’s happening to the Covid death toll during the Omicron wave.

And we investigate the worrying statistic that one in ten people are planning to start a podcast in the coming year."
MikeB liked this