For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Artificial Intelligence will take the place of most GP interactions.

A robot can see you now, has all the time in the world to listen to your problem, can ask questions and listen some more at your convenience and speed. It has all your records to hand, instant access to all the best and latest medical practice, cures, drugs, contraindications, successful interventions and dangerous ones, it won't get bored or gossip about your embarrassing itch to your sister's husband at the match on Saturday afternoon. Its errors are recorded and can be investigated without coverups and it's triumphs will help somebody you'll never meet with the same set of weird and embarrassing circumstances on the other side of the planet. Nothing is too serious or too trivial to see you now.

The sooner it happens, the better.

Ah, but I forget. The BMA certainly isn't a toothless tiger when it comes to enhancing ever more member benefits from endless spineless governments.

So it probably wont happen and we will carry on wasting massive amounts of cash on ineffective, slow and sometimes dangerous human medics until the entire country collapses under the all consuming mass of the NHS Death Star.
Robin500 liked this
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
eltonioni wrote:NHS Death Star.

Yeah but it wouldn't need "protecting" then, would it :lol:

Incidentally, the £372 billion extra covid funding, adjusted for inflation, was around 2x as much as the USA spent between 1961 and 1972 on the entire Apollo program so we could have probably got the NHS into space.

Though seriously it reflects the effort we have put into this so let's not go back. We've done enough.
Robin500 liked this
By StratoTramp
Problem is it's so broad.

Narrow AI fine, is fine say image recognition (with small experiments where they are better at spotting tumours). But I don't think they will have as much bedside empathy as a real surgeon or nurse. Also being told what to do by a machine is even worse than the state :lol: I'd think id rather be treated by a human. Maybe more the co-bot way. Think it's going to be a long time before they are completely better than humans.

My barber was saying he would be replaced one day - I was like I'm not letting a machine near me with a cutthroat razor :lol: who knows maybe human barbers will be a premium service. It's only worse with a robotic surgeon :cyclopsani:

Skin in the game, autopilot is great and can land, lots of other autonomous things are more or less possible, but you want a pilot who has his own life to lose too on the plane

General AI is a bit more tricky. Life 3.0 is a good read. I think that was the title. Not to be confused with film 2.0
johnm wrote:If you actually know about AI you’d not be embracing it without a great deal of caution :lol:

Oh, I dunno, I assumed that your forum replies were fully automated sometime in late 2016. Mine were. ;)
eltonioni wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
eltonioni wrote:
Must be nationalised.

And I say that as a committed, absolutist, libertarian, capitalist. Enough is enough. If we're going to have a National Health Service, GPs need to be under State control with State wages and State performance standards, instead of this ridiculous shillyshallying situation that we have now.

Or, man up and give the service that customers want.

Never going to happen.

There must be a reason that reason that the GP layer in the health service in all countries that I know of is by self employed medics.

I fear that you are absolutely spot on FD. In which case, we should privatise the whole of the NHS and treat providers as just that on behalf of customers. Let the undoubted talent do its thing instead of having it hogtied by the ridiculous machinery of State and the vagaries of political whims.

Having actually lived in a country that had a privatized healthcare system i wouldnt wish it on anyone , and i would say be careful what you wish for,
Newfy, kanga liked this
By skydriller
Keveng wrote:Having actually lived in a country that had a privatized healthcare system i wouldnt wish it on anyone , and i would say be careful what you wish for,

The majority of countries have privatized healthcare systems.
Flyin'Dutch', kanga liked this
By StratoTramp
Liked his "joyful acceptance" spiel. A few months back.

A lot of it is about puritanical control though, like all the new gambling licence / register laws. I don't gamble but if people want to that's fine. They shouldnt have to go onto a list and be tracked. More stumbling towards and authoritarian social credit system.

Standard nimbys not wanting gambling store fronts on the high street lowering property prices. But who else is going to be there if everyone shops and amazon and the high street shops go bankrupt because they want lockdown as it suits them.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Sadly not everyone is able to make good choices for themselves and therefore it is not bad to try and make the making of good choices better.

Civilised societies mandate a lot of things and forbid a whole host more, I will spare you the list, but when it comes to wearing masks and a vaccination passport it is suddenly all about 'Freedom'
JAFO liked this
By johnm
Neil Oliver is not quite correct. Vaccinated people who get infected have a lower viral load and so will be a bit less likely to pass it on than unvaccinated. There is no panacea and we need to use every tool in the tool box but obviously we don’t want to use a hammer when we need a screwdriver
JAFO liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Neil Oliver is an idiot.

Proclaiming to abhor big pharma and MSM for being there and pushing their stuff to further their own financial and political agendas, whilst using a platform which is funded by hedge funds and private investors who are out to further their own financial and political agenda.

Suppose there is still a market for that sort of stuff.
By StratoTramp
I could understand a vaccine being mandated if it had the same lethality as ebola and could be transmitted as easily as covid through the air.
As well as full lockdowns, military curfew, everything. Some proper end times 'Contagion' stuff.

But it doesn't. So it doesn't pass the threshold of mandatory for me.

I still think people should get vacinnated but it's a choice and they shouldn't be coerced or forced into making good choices. It's about what's next for me - slippery slope.

I used to think charities like Liberty were a bit nuts. But they seem to have more of a point each passing day. Whether it's surveillance capitalism or big state (more so given they have no opposition). I used to mistakenly think that was good too.
Last edited by StratoTramp on Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flybymike, Robin500 liked this