For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Two weeks after the schools go back cases are on the rise again, university students are also back and efforts being made to get them vaccinated.

So the critical issue is what do hospital admissions look like over the next 2 -4 weeks. Let us hope they stay flat

The pattern is well understood and being watched carefully by those much maligned experts.
kanga liked this
Paul_Sengupta wrote:"Infections rose by the most in young adults aged 10-19, which county officials say account for the most cases."

A bit selective in your reporting there Paul - do you moonlight for the bbc?

When you look at the national graph rather than Kettering (Where??!!) it doesn't look anywhere near as dramatic.

Typical biased reporting; bang on narrative, bang off impartial disinterested reporting.
johnm wrote:Two weeks after the schools go back cases are on the rise again, university students are also back and efforts being made to get them vaccinated.

The GP syndicate vaccination centre where we are volunteer marshals is still doing some 'walk-in' sessions for 1st and 2nd Pfizers for anyone, but expecting many to be recentish arrivals in town for the local colleges and boarding schools, and I guess hirers of new graduates. Other sessions are only for registered patients of the GPs, for boosters (at least 6 months after 2nd) and 'flu, by invitation to appointments.

Meanwhile, this has been posted on a Canadian Facebook group, from someone in Alberta, the Canadian centre of antivaxxers and Covid deniers:

"I've spent the past 3 days in ICU with my Dad. He is on a unit with 22 beds and is the ONLY patient here without Covid. There are 21 UNVACCINATED people (I asked) of all ages here taking up space and ABUSING the staff - announcing that Covid isn't real, or screaming at doctors, after they have saved their life, saying they would have survived without treatment.
We were losing my Dad. We were told he wasn't going to make it. My family wanted to come and be with him, but only two of us were allowed. MY FAMILY WHO DID EVERYTHING RIGHT was denied seeing him because off ALL of the unvaccinated who are crashing our healthcare system. My Mom and I came back the next day and waited 4 HOURS before we even set eyes on his nurse. 4 HOURS because she was busy trying to gown up and intubate her other patient who continued to deny the reality of her situation. They eventually had to tell her to accept the ventilator or she will not be allowed back in the ICU.
I met a lady in the lobby today whose 38 year old son had a heart attack and needed to be airlifted here. They have him in a room with a BABY MONITOR so the nurses can see him because there are no beds and the unvaccinated have taken over the ICUs. I truly hope the new triage system comes into play and that maybe the unvaccinated (by choice) are denied care.
I walk the hallway to my Dad's room and look at these people who are all alone on ventilators. They look SO awful. It's so sad, and yet so preventable.
If you're not vaccinated, you are a fool. Plain and simple. You don't want to put this "trial" drug into your body? Well, guess what? When you are dying in the Covid ward, they give you a TRIAL drug to help you live. Are you going to tell them not to give you that either? Fool.
These doctors and nurses were so happy to have my Mom and I here. People who believe in the science. Who support and praise them for their work instead of abuse them.
This unit has been a MAD HOUSE. There are no words that will ever explain the heroes who walk these halls. The ones who show compassion for these people who, I feel, no longer deserve it. They are miracle workers and they are BURNT OUT.
These same miracle workers brought my Dad back to us when we thought we would be saying goodbye. They gave us time we thought we would be denied. For that I'm eternally grateful.
Too many people who did the RIGHT thing are being denied proper care right now. This needs to stop.
Don't be a fool.
Please feel free to share."
johnm, Paultheparaglider, MikeB and 4 others liked this
By johnm
Here in the South West cases have more than doubled but hospital cases have actually reduced, although caution is needed because of the lags in the system, it seems that the cases are mostly amongst the young and they aren’t getting hospitalised.

Fingers are firmly crossed
@kanga - I had the pleasure of sharing a train compartment with an ex-US military (but German born) gent last week.

To him, “our Governments know ****”, “there’s no proof”, “destroying the economy for a flu”, back again to “our governments know ****” with a little bit of neo-Nazi propaganda in the mix.

Apparently his late teens daughter was perfectly healthy prior to having the Pfizer vaccine - but now her and around 10 percent of her compatriots have heart anomalies.

I actually ventured out of my “protect myself from neo-Nazi in an enclosed environment ”persona - and mentioned that 2 of my pre-adolescent kids had heart anomalies, which were detected because testing has improved massively compared to previous generations- and statistically speaking, 2 of my kids got the **** Ty end of the stick - but overall within norms - tbh it’s better we all know now, rather than at their inquest.

To paraquote Douglas Adams, I could practically hear that point fly over his head.

We have to accept, 50% of the population are at or below average intelligence.
kanga, johnm liked this
By StratoTramp
Surely thats what average means. Unless you do median I suppose. Though I know you are a joker :lol: being glass half full it means 50% are smarter, and then smart at what exactly - People can be dumb at one thing and great at others. Which is why you need a holistic approach using a team of experts from different fields. Humanity is underrated.

Went out for meal for 10 today then got dragged to an arcade by my directs. Needless to say the controls on machines were as grubby as I remembered them being in 2010. Most "old normal" event yet. Was a celebration of cool runnings through the last 2 years on site in the lab.

Felt an actual need to use hand sanitizer in the old fashioned way as hands got proper greasy! But good time had by all. All double jabbed, time to accept the possibility of getting a bit Ill like we used to and stop treating both strangers and people we know as infectious zombies.

Said I'd pay for them to see top gun post covid but they put it back so I just paid for starters and desserts at dinner instead.

Humans being humans again. Have to organise an Xmas do now, great job for me, the most anti-social of the group. :lol:

Actually just realised this post is a lie - I "cooked" for 30+ at our archery club champs BBQ about a month back. That was pretty old timey. 8) both friends and relative strangers.
Pete L, Spooky liked this
Scotland's app crashes due to volume.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-58758688

Scotland = 5,327,700 has fewer inhabitants than West Midlands = 5,601,847 but when the whole of England = 53,865,817 app had a couple of teething issues there was a furore, yet it wasn't politically motivated :?: