For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@TravellerBob I have given an undertaking to the team here to be kind in my posts.

But since you asked, no I did not mean to write anything else.

Can I ask you something in turn, since you feature here on a pilot's forum, would it be kind for you to introduce your aviation background a bit?
Charles Hunt liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I have given an undertaking to the team here to be kind in my posts.

Yeah, we all did when we signed-up. It was on the Ts&Cs and on every forum top, or 2nd top post.

Flyin'Dutch' wrote:But since you asked, no I did not mean to write anything else.

You're sure. Okay...

Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Can I ask you something in turn, since you feature here on a pilot's forum, would it be kind for you to introduce your aviation background a bit?

Not sure how I shoehorn that into a thread about Covid, nor that I "feature" here, :oops: but I fly small airplanes and I have a PPL with various ratings attached thereto including one that says I can read/write and speak English proper like.
flybymike liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
TravellerBob wrote:Not sure how I shoehorn that into a thread about Covid, nor that I "feature" here, :oops: but I fly small airplanes and I have a PPL with various ratings attached thereto including one that says I can read/write and speak English proper like.

No thread complete without some considerable drift, and for sure a drift towards GA can never be wrong, alternatively post something on the GA forum, plenty of other new 'members' do.
eltonioni liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
eltonioni wrote:@Flyin'Dutch' All UK laws are subject to challenge and change, especially when they are used in novel ways for unexpected purposes. As they should be.

Are there hordes of disgruntled parents setting up gofundme accounts to mount a legal challenge?

We'll definitely agree that apathy reigns when it comes to these things which is why you'd expect so-called campaigning lawyers to be on the case. Perhaps somebody is as we speak?

Can 72,092 https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/586017
or 27,007 https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/594272 be called a horde?

I guess that it's fewer than Genghis Khan's but it were that many wildebeest or zombies coming our way we'd both be legging it sharpish.

Bear in mind that I'm not agin vaccinating children in this case and I'd be ticking the "yes, jab 'em now" box for mine. My concerns are about government coercion, mission creep, individual/ civil liberties and basically not wishing any government to have a scintilla more power over you or I than they absolutely need in extremis. The stuff that Martin Neimuller (sp?) banged on about.
By Flyin'Dutch'
I know, but in the grand scheme of things I think there are other more worthy causes to get worked up about when it comes to what government gets up to and how they behave.

We are all children of our time and no doubt future generations will shake their heads in disbelief when they examine what has been going on 'in our time'
eltonioni liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
We are all children of our time and no doubt future generations will shake their heads in disbelief when they examine what has been going on 'in our time'

Without doubt, but can you give an example of a time in recorded history when that hasn't been true? I, for example, can never quite get my head around the appeasement of the 1930's, but no doubt it looked perfectly reasonable to many survivors of the Great War at the time. The passage of time often allows a different perspective on the wisdom of actions or inactions taken in respect of periods by those who were living through them.

PW
TravellerBob, Spooky liked this
eltonioni wrote:From what I can tell that's because Gavin Williwotsit has right royally screwed up his brief for the last two years.

You will be pleased to read he's gone.
Binned By Boris.
Someone did a thread about "B"s recently perhaps I should have posted my three Bs there - just as relevant
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I know, but in the grand scheme of things I think there are other more worthy causes to get worked up about when it comes to what government gets up to and how they behave.

If Parliament were properly sitting, debating, voting, etc I'd have to accept the point. But they aren't yet. Maybe when the emergency powers are properly rescinded or replaced with something more appropriate I'll be more relaxed. At the risk of being political, thank Christ it's Boris ruling by fiat and not the beardy Trot'. At least there's some hope of reversing the oppression without bloodshed.

Totally agree on how we'll be judged in future. It's good to remind ourselves that we're just living in the moment as a product of our past with nothing but hopes for the future. It feels important now to wear masks, stand 2m apart and open windows but the actual future will think either that we were insane, or forget all about this minor blip on the calendar. Probably the latter, as usual.
StratoTramp, flybymike liked this
TravellerBob wrote:
eltonioni wrote:From what I can tell that's because Gavin Williwotsit has right royally screwed up his brief for the last two years.

You will be pleased to read he's gone.
Binned By Boris.
Someone did a thread about "B"s recently perhaps I should have posted my three Bs there - just as relevant

Proof, if it were needed, that exceptions prove the rule. Williamson's a Yorkshireman and he's an exceptional dolt. :?
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:alternatively post something on the GA forum, plenty of other new 'members' do.

I would personally put the *new* in inverted commas... :cyclopsani:

I would personally put "GA forum" in inverted commas... :cyclopsani:
eltonioni wrote:The kids were great although they were questions of a more personal and technical nature "I had Covid, how long until I can get the jab" ....

I thought that was actually a bonus. A 12yo asks a serious question about something which is reasonably on his mind, and an eminent professional has to pause to think, realise that there is not yet a full easy answer, and says so, but does his best to summarise what is currently known or reasonably believed by scientists. This, to me, was more convincing and impressive than if a media 'presenter' asked a Minister or PHE senior official had asked essentially the same question as a hypothetical 'if the parent of a 12yo asked you..'; indeed, neither of those might even have realised that such a question was in that 12yo's mind, and possibly that of many contemporaries.

I also noted the remark by one of the 'Today' presenters immediately after the exchanges that the toughest job he had had in broadcasting was preparing appropriately pithily worded but still accurate and balanced gists of current news stories for BBC's 'Newsround' bulletins aimed at children.