For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Cessna571 wrote:I know that, you know that,

but there’s videos all over YouTube telling people to “Trust their immune system” and bizarrely he’s taking 1000mg of Vitamin D a day or something ridiculous.

“Professor Zingdavi says to do so, and he knows what he’s talking about”.

You can’t argue with these people, they tell you they are “following the real science”.

Problem is, they’ll most probably survive.

I agree with the point you are making regarding there being a lot of fake science around. However, in respect of vitamin D there does appear to be a lot of real science that shows it does play a role in the immune system, and as taking it does not seem to have much of a downside, although I don't bother myself it strikes me that this is not an unreasonable thing to do.

Of course, it is probably more relevant in the winter as sunshine plays a role in generating vitamin D, which is why I smiled at @Charles Hunt when he wittily observed in an earlier post:

Charles Hunt wrote:
eltonioni wrote:. He has a bee in his bonnet about Vitamin D deficiency, which he may well be right about.

He should get out more.
flybymike liked this
JAFO wrote:
Unfortunately, he could very well be wrong. As I said earlier, I have a friend who is young and was otherwise fit and healthy who has been suffering from the effects of COVID for six months now.

That's how it worked in the past before medicine
The weak and the genetically susceptible to any disease died off and did not reproduce. Those able to survive did not and carried forward whatever was in their DNA to their children and they in turn became more able to withstand the disease. If some of children did not inherit any favorable DNA then they too died off.
That way the human race gradually overcome diseases which we now regard as insignificant.
I'm sure when Corona and Rhino viruses first appeared humans died in their millions, now we the descendants of the survivors now regard them as common colds.
An example of this would be the arrival of Western explorers in South America who brought with them the flu and the natives with no historical inbuilt immunity died in their thousands. Another more controversial example is that Europeans have a higher resistance to Aids than other races. It is believed that this is due to us being exposed to possibly smallpox in ancient past. The survivors of those ancient plagues carried forward a DNA mutation to their children and so on which by total co-incidence gives a higher resistance to Aids.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
People on here who think they understand natural selection and immunity don’t. That includes yours truly, though I do know that the simple idea that a parent who develops immunity automatically passes it to progeny is wrong.
MikeB liked this
Cns416 wrote:
JAFO wrote:
Unfortunately, he could very well be wrong. As I said earlier, I have a friend who is young and was otherwise fit and healthy who has been suffering from the effects of COVID for six months now.

That's how it worked in the past before medicine
The weak and the genetically susceptible to any disease died off and did not reproduce.

Well, that's okay then. Should I ask them to dispose of the offspring they currently have as they're clearly substandard?
By PeteSpencer
johnm wrote:People on here who think they understand natural selection and immunity don’t. That includes yours truly, though I do know that the simple idea that a parent who develops immunity automatically passes it to progeny is wrong.

Last sentence is not quite correct.

A mother can indeed pass 'passive' antibodies on to her offspring for certain diseases, but their efficacy/immunity wanes before six months:

From then on the infant has to develop its own antibodies, hence MMR etc vaccination programmes.

Sadly a rogue medic who was subsequently discredited and later struck off by publishing widely and incorrectly that there was a proven link between MMR and autism.

This was picked up by anti vaxxers and in the 90s many children died from measles complications because their parents refused MMR>
The GPs on here can give a more accurate appraisal: its above my pay grade.....
johnm liked this
By johnm
Looking at the graphs from gov.uk cases are rising exponentially and there's now a definite uptick in hospitalisations, so as we pointed out a few pages back and as Johnson said last night (seems he's finally twigged) the race between the vaccination programme and the delta spread is something like neck and neck at the moment.

I therefore expect a messy compromise in the morning. Not all restrictions will be lifted but some will, probably wedding gatherings.....hopefully concert halls and theatres with mask wearing and/or vaccine passports.
JAFO, kanga liked this
johnm wrote:Looking at the graphs from gov.uk cases are rising exponentially and there's now a definite uptick in hospitalisations.

That's a big claim so let's see your data please.

Is it this data? https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases
https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare
Graph on the BBC website (beyond my abilities to cut and paste) shows that Professor Ferguson plus colleagues plus extensive 'modelling' is simply a straight line extension on a log scale graph with no indication of when rollover and decrease may occur.

Any O level maths candidate could produce that. (All right, or whatever the current equivalent is!)
By Flyin'Dutch'
What interests me is that the number of new cases in the UK is considerably higher than in comparable countries but the number of C19 deaths is near zero.

UK first week June 33k new cases 60 deaths
Germany first week June 21k new cases 800 deaths

Don't know what explains the difference.
MikeB, Colonel Panic liked this