For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
JAFO wrote:@eltonioni - you seem to think it's all over. I fear you may be mistaken.

Nah, I think it's all over for those of us who are vaccinated. For most of those who aren't, it's a non-issue.

Sadly the world isn't perfect so a few people will still die of Covid and trouser related accidents.
flybymike liked this
kanga wrote:
eltonioni wrote:
JAFO wrote:I find myself unable to follow any advice which contains the word "normalcy".

I know how you feel, I have the same trouble when I see advice containing the words "Imperial College" or "LSE". :D

ah, in the "we've had enough of experts" tradition ? :wink:

Sir Humphrey would certainly agree with @eltonioni, and decry any description of expert being associated with the LSE. After all, Jim Hacker gained his degree there. :wink:
As far as we are told, no mutant strain is yet able to escape our current vaccines.

Whether that is down to science or just pure luck, I don’t know?

However with India currently providing the largest petri dish in history, I presume we are going to find out? :roll:

Undoubtedly ‘mockdown’ and the rather laughable ‘restrictions’ on international travel may well have played a part in restricting this rather nasty virus. But both of those will soon be gone.

It might be a little more comforting had we a functioning track trace and isolate system upon which to fall back? Yet utterly inexplicably, we still do not! Utter buffoons such as Sir Desmond Swayne must be delighted!

IMHO this isn’t over by a very long chalk.
T6Harvard, TheFarmer liked this
The reason we don't have a functioning track and trace is the same reason that I said it wouldn't work over a year ago. When you have thousands of cases in the community and 2/3 of infected people with no symptoms then it's pointless. I never understood why people were clamouring for it.
JAFO wrote:The reason we don't have a functioning track and trace is the same reason that I said it wouldn't work over a year ago. When you have thousands of cases in the community and 2/3 of infected people with no symptoms then it's pointless. I never understood why people were clamouring for it.

If we still have widespread infections, why are we dropping all restrictions in the next weeks? I thought the whole point was that we were doing rather well? :shock:
15,782 positive tests in the last week.

How many more positive cases are there? I'd say at least the same again.

You can't track and trace that.

Things are moving in the right direction, the vaccination programme has been phenomenally successful, but thousands still have COVID. People who are vaccinated will still get COVID. The vaccinations will make it manageable and make it less likely that people will suffer the worst effects of the virus. It's the very best we can hope for but as restrictions lift and people travel, particularly if they are spectacularly stupid and travel abroad to places that have not been as successful with their vaccination programmes, cases will rise.

Track and trace was never the answer, it still isn't.

Hands, face, space, fresh air, reduce the number and duration of contacts and get as many vaccinated as possible.
T6Harvard, MikeB liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Like anything else test trace and isolate can be overwhelmed but it will help to control localised flare ups which is why I was advocating enhancing local public health and BASSH who are practiced in all that.

There is no single answer and the better the suite of tools the greater the chance of control without widespread disruption.

The more we ease controls the more infection we will see and local action should avoid major lockdown
kanga liked this
JAFO wrote:Not overly-troubled by facts are you, @eltonioni?

Vaccination has provided a great deal of protection particularly for the most vulnerable but to suggest that this means it's all over for them and not a problem for anybody else is rather fallacious.

Umm, I've never been troubled by facts. Surely, of course, it's all over for the vaccinated...isn't that a fact? If you are vaccinated you are 99.999999% protected and you aren't going to drop dead from C19. That's personally protected and surely not controversial.

If you are not vaccinated in the UK you are in the age group where it doesn't much matter unless you are in the vulnerable category. I'm not seeing the problem that should shut down society.
JAFO wrote:Track and trace was never the answer, it still isn't.

Absolutely agree with you, Australia, NZ, Vietnam, HK, Malaysia, etc have backed themselves into a very difficult corner,. It will be fascinating to see how they unwind themselves out of it.

Vaccinations are the only solution. Everything else is politics.
flybymike liked this
eltonioni wrote:Umm, I've never been troubled by facts. Surely, of course, it's all over for the vaccinated...isn't that a fact? If you are vaccinated you are 99.999999% protected and you aren't going to drop dead from C19. That's personally protected and surely not controversial.

If you are not vaccinated in the UK you are in the age group where it doesn't much matter unless you are in the vulnerable category. I'm not seeing the problem that should shut down society.

Unfortunately neither of those are true.
johnm, kanga liked this
JAFO wrote:
eltonioni wrote:Umm, I've never been troubled by facts. Surely, of course, it's all over for the vaccinated...isn't that a fact? If you are vaccinated you are 99.999999% protected and you aren't going to drop dead from C19. That's personally protected and surely not controversial.

Unfortunately neither of those are true.

Go on... 6 posts on this page and I'm none the wiser why you disagree.