For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
An odd problem has started to manifest itself on my fairly new Mac Mini, whereby Safari gradually reports using more and more memory until such point that the 'Force Quit' panel pops up with a 'You need to close some applications' and Safari will shut itself down.

The odd thing is that in Activity Monitor, whilst Safari may be showing it's using tens of GB of memory, the overall memory usage is staying sensible as per shown below in the snips taken at the same time of the top and bottom of AM:

(Yes, I know 8GB isn't very much, but I refuse to pay Apple prices up front for memory that I can add myself much more cheaply later when I need it :) ).

There is little I can find of recent vintage about this particular issue on the Interweb, but I have found a YouTube dating from about three years ago, which demonstrates effectively creating a new a version of Safari by deleting lots of stuff from various Library and App support folders, and relaunching Safari when done. I'm hesitant to try this without some validation that it'll work. I don't fancy the hassle of having to do a complete reinstall to the current state if things go awry.

I'm running Catalina 10.15.7 (latest update applied just today) with Safari 14.0.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated (Safari's reported memory has gone up to 49GB while I've been typing this!)
Last edited by GrahamB on Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By GrahamB
Thanks, I've tried one or two things suggested in various old threads there, and without going too deep it seems to have cured (or at least slowed down) the massive memory runway. I'm not getting the 'Force quit' panel any more and Safari isn't shutting down, so it's good enough for me at least for the time being while the machine performance is absolutely fine.
By GrahamB
Miscellaneous wrote:@GrahamB I think you have infected my machine? :wink:

MacBook Pro was beginning to be slow to respond so updated to Catalina 10.15.7 and Safari to V14 and low and behold I'm now getting warnings. :evil: Not specifically about Safari though.

It's 5G, you know.

Or Coronavirus.

Or both.

Or just for you . . . .

By Paul_Sengupta
stevelup wrote:Yeah, use Chrome :lol:

Does this help? I have this thing in the back of my mind that there's common connection or library thing on tablets which is used by all browsers, and thus any issues like this could appear whatever browser you use. That may not be the case, but just thought I'd mention it.

Is it this (Flyer) site which causes it to go ballistic? The ads on this site traditionally cause a lot of memory leakage.
By GrahamB
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Does this help? I have this thing in the back of my mind that there's common connection or library thing on tablets which is used by all browsers, and thus any issues like this could appear whatever browser you use. That may not be the case, but just thought I'd mention it.

Is it this (Flyer) site which causes it to go ballistic? The ads on this site traditionally cause a lot of memory leakage.

Nothing to do with tablets. It's MacOS running on a Mac Mini.

I pay my £7.50 per quarter to Ian, so I feel justified in blocking the carp ads which get served up if I don't.