For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Bill Haddow
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:No doubt Bill Haddow will be along shortly to demand some evidence to be provided by me. I'll wait until he has joined so I only have to type it once.

Many doubts, FD, as I won't rise to your bait, but do please carry on begging the question as usual. :wink:

BTW, @Bill McCarthy was referring to (elderly) care homes, not to Nursing Homes.

Bill H
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
JAFO wrote:
skydriller wrote:
JAFO wrote:I doubt either of us knows sufficient facts to comment.

The incident I linked to above actually briefly made it onto mainstream media but was quashed by Election/Vaccine headlines - a quick google comes up with alot of info for you to judge for yourself.

If that is where you get your facts from then I still doubt either of us knows sufficient facts to comment.

I dont really understand your point? Did you try googling the incident? If you had, then you would see there are various video clips, interviews, and stories from many different news sources - from what I have seen, an incident happened that is cause for concern. Of course everybody might be lying through their teeth and the video was actors from a drama... :roll:
By Paul_Sengupta
johnm wrote:The difference is that as far as we know we don't have it

It's been estimated that pre-symptomatic people account for 47% of the spread.

johnm wrote:we're in a bubble as defined under the guidance and we're more likely to take the child to play in our wood than a castle as we're interested in distancing ourselves from people and she's interested in plants and creepy crawlies. :roll:

I'd be staying well away from Children. In shocking new evidence from Wales, children are actually human beings!

https://gov.wales/sites/default/files/publications/2020-11/technical-advisory-group-evidence-review-on-children-and-young-people-under-18-in-preschool-school-or-college-following-the-firebreak.pdf

"Additional modelling and empirical data from the ONS1 Covid surveillance study indicates that there is now evidence of higher levels of infection and transmission in school based age groups than previously recognised, a higher rate of asymptomatic transmission, and children are more likely to be the first case in a household."

This has been anecdotally confirmed by my cousin who is in charge of schools in a large area of south east Wales where she's seen large groups of parents having Covid who have no contact other than their children going to school together.

But they still say:

"This new evidence indicates that schools being open is associated with higher rates of infection in the population, although the mechanism for this remains unclear"

The mechanism remains unclear? That human beings are passing the virus on to other human beings? Are we living in an idiocracy?
By skydriller
Paul_Sengupta wrote: Are we living in an idiocracy?

Havent you noticed?

We first saw it after 9-11 where all logic of risk/cost and security went out the window through fear. You have now seen a repeat performance due COVID-19 which is costing everyone multiple, multiple times more, and this one wont be quite as easy to recover from...
flybymike liked this
Some sanity is returning though. Reports this afternoon say that the police are suspending the issue of utterly bonkers £10k fines. Just a small step towards restoration of trust.

Police chiefs have suspended the on-the-spot £10,000 Covid fines amid fears of challenges over the lack of means testing.

The National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) said forces would no longer be handing out £10,000 fixed notice penalties because of concerns over “inequalities” as those choosing to go to court could pay less.

Instead, they will be issued as summons requiring those fined to go before magistrates where they will be means tested, which could result in them forking out less than the £10,000 or given more time to pay the sums after means-testing.
flybymike liked this
More general background. Mostly included because he uses vodka consumption to explain viral load, and the amplifying effect of the PCR test, rather than my explanation of beer.

Hopefully corrected link, necessary due to endemic computer incompetence.
Last edited by Charles Hunt on Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
flybymike, DarrenL liked this
By skydriller
@Charles Hunt

For some reason your link tries to get me to install the G-mail app...
And I see the link has "....mail.google..." in there?

Finger trouble cutnpaste I suspect.

Regards, SD..
Ye Gods. If we can ask these questions and try to see the wood for the trees, how come no-one in Government, or with the ear of Government seems able to do so?

Was it here or facebook that Paul asked about an idiocracy?
Desperately hope that the rollover both in case numbers and deaths marks the beginning of a steady decline of the second wave/winter resurgence. Either way, is it an average of 4 or 5 weeks from infection to death? The decline in deaths will be of infections received well before the start of the current lockdown. With the lockdown predicated on 4,000 deaths per day, rather than the peak of 600 we are seeing, I think the PM needs some better scientific advice.
DarrenL liked this