For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Officers removed sound equipment and penned the crowd in Trafalgar Square

The Met Police said the protest had been shut down because the crowd was not complying with social distancing.

Social distancing in a large scale demonstration rally is of course completely impossible, so the government have now effectively banned such protests.
On the other hand police presence at BLM protests produces images like this one.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&url=h ... AdAAAAABAI
By flybymike
Miscellaneous wrote:@flybymike not annoying me at all. In citing second hand information you are simply demonstrating how weak your position is. In simple terms you are beating your own argument. :wink:

By your thinking, I’m just demonstrating that the press are lying that’s all.
Why are they all doing that?
By Miscellaneous
@flybymike nope, I did not say they are lying. I said we need to see the evidence before making judgements about the alleged 'facts'. In fact if you read what I posted you'll actually see I clearly said the argument is fallacious irrespective of whether the reports are true.

However, I'll remind you next time you slate the press for misreporting how you are prepared to draw conclusions on reports that suit your cause without having need to check. :wink:

How you misrepresent me in your previous post is a great example of why we shouldn't take press reports at face value, just because we want it to be true. :wink:
By flybymike
However, I'll remind you next time you slate the press for misreporting how you are prepared to draw conclusions on reports that suit your cause without having need to check. :wink:

I’ll have to be very very careful not to do that then...... :shaking:
By Flyingfemme
And yet several news sources are reporting
"The number of confirmed coronavirus patients in mechanical ventilation beds in London was 38 on Saturday.
This was down from 47 on Friday, the highest number since July 7 when there were also 48. "
By TopCat
Flyingfemme wrote:And yet several news sources are reporting
"The number of confirmed coronavirus patients in mechanical ventilation beds in London was 38 on Saturday.
This was down from 47 on Friday, the highest number since July 7 when there were also 48. "

National numbers available here.
By eltonioni
Scotland seems to have gotten on top of their "Patients in hospital" numbers overnight, What's going on up there?
flybymike wrote:
Your suggestion that a direct comparison shows flu deaths are greater than covid deaths, which others are now quoting as if fact because it suits their position, is such a fallacious argument. But then you already knew that.

The fallacious argument is allegedly being spread by the Office of National Statistics.

Here you go fbm, thought you may be interested in this? :wink:

BBC wrote:Covid deaths three times higher than flu and pneumonia

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54463511
I'd seen that one, but also another one earlier which compared pneumonia plus flu deaths over the last 30 or 40 years, and around the 1990s there were many years when the combined totals were above what we have this year for coronavirus, and we didn't stop the country then.
flybymike liked this
By johnm
The issue is the risk to hospital capacity and we don't know how that plays out yet, but there's increasing statistical data that ought to allow us to make plans and draw conclusions before too long IMHO.
By Paul_Sengupta
Charles Hunt wrote:I'd seen that one, but also another one earlier which compared pneumonia plus flu deaths over the last 30 or 40 years, and around the 1990s there were many years when the combined totals were above what we have this year for coronavirus, and we didn't stop the country then.

You have to be careful comparing those figures. We haven't had a lockdown for flu, so it's left to just take its course, minus the strains included in any vaccine.

The estimates for the UK population having had Covid are around 6%. You could extrapolate to flu-type-levels of 60% perhaps, multiplying the number of possible deaths without lockdown by 10 for a fairer comparison.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this