For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
eltonioni wrote:I suppose the difference between what the Bournemouth / Derbyshire Police did and how the police behave in oppressive regimes is that in an oppressive regime you could slip the officer a tenner and be on your way.

Many years ago, my wife and I hired a scooter in Phuket. The law required helmets to be worn, and we were duly given these and started off wearing them. Anyone who has endured the heat and humidity of a Thai summer will know this isn't fun.

Anyway, none of the locals bothered, so we decided neither would we. Unfortunately, we picked the day that the police decided to have a clampdown and were stopping everyone at a roundabout.

As was happening to all the local riders we too were given a ticket.

Now, my wife travelled a lot around Asia for work, and was a regular visitor to the Philippines where such matters were often settled much as eltonioni suggests. So, after haranguing the poor cop for his unwelcoming approach to visitors, she then starts to ask him how much it will take for the matter to go away.

In the meantime, I've read the ticket and note that the fine is a little under £2. And I'm started to think we are going to shortly be paying a visit to a Thai prison for attempting to bribe a policeman. I'd heard lots of stories of the Bangkok Hilton and similar establishments, and was definitely not interested in gaining personal experience.

Fortunately for us, the policeman clearly wanted an easy life, took the ticket back from me, and sent us off with a stern warning.

Phew.

Fair to say there was a little marital tension over dinner that evening. :wink:
Charles Hunt, nallen, MikeB and 2 others liked this
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
eltonioni wrote:@flybymike probably no increased risk of transmission by much greater risk of being stuck up a tree without an ambulance arriving for a few hours. This happened yesterday near us... and before you ask, I have absolutely no idea! :?

It could have been worse. :wink:

Paultheparaglider liked this
:D That's definitely a bad day at work. I'll chuck in a gritter down our back lane one icy afternoon a few years ago.

By MachFlyer
flybymike wrote:Lots of dangerous Covidiots still out there.

I think this is the video Dorset police are referring to when they say all was not as it appears and that it was in their words “stage-managed” by the usual covidiots. The story is on the BBC website and presumably elsewhere.
MachFlyer wrote:I think this is the video Dorset police are referring to when they say all was not as it appears and that it was in their words “stage-managed” by the usual covidiots. The story is on the BBC website and presumably elsewhere.

I'm not on the side of any "covidiots" but how might they stage manage the officer who says:

At the moment you're allowed out for exercise once a day.

You've been filmed today in the town centre and around here and walking up and down [unintelligible] that's not once, is it?

At the moment you are allowed out for exercise, the part about once a day, he has made up.

If they've been filmed in the town centre and another location (or two) and have been walking up and down, how is that not exercise?

Why is the other officer quoting anti-social behaviour legislation to this couple?

It is unforgiveable that police officers and their supervisors do not know the law. If I can take the time to read it then why can't they? If I can understand it why can't their Superintendent on £70-80K understand it and cascade the information?
flybymike liked this
The actual law is crystal clear so even if the police have been baited into misapplying the law they have still misapplied the law. Generally, I'm a supporter of the police in crappy no-win situations but an illegitimate handcuffing would have me calling my solicitor not to get me out of the back of the police van but to commence a prosecution against the police. This sort of overreaching nonsense has to be stood against.
JAFO, flybymike, cockney steve and 1 others liked this
By skydriller
I agree 100% - You cannot just arrest someone "for being a dick" (no matter how much some people might deserve it) - And quite frankly alot of the stuff going on right now in many normally democratic countries needs to be challenged.
JAFO, flybymike, eltonioni liked this
By MikeB
JAFO wrote:
At the moment you are allowed out for exercise, the part about once a day, he has made up.

Presumably the Officer was following UK.Gov website lockdown "guidance", which says:

You should minimise time spent outside your home, but you can leave your home to exercise. This should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.
(my bold)
MikeB wrote:
JAFO wrote:

Presumably the Officer was following UK.Gov website lockdown "guidance", which says:

You should minimise time spent outside your home, but you can leave your home to exercise. This should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.
(my bold)

Presumably he was but that is not his job, his job is to enforce the law. He may give advice on the guidance but he may not enforce it. It is his job to know both and to know the difference.
eltonioni, flybymike liked this
eltonioni wrote:.. an illegitimate handcuffing would have me calling my solicitor not to get me out of the back of the police van but to commence a prosecution against the police. This sort of overreaching nonsense has to be stood against.

I hope I am not straying into Forum 'forbidden territory' by pointing out that for people in some communities and areas such treatment is routine, and publicised only when the victim has a public profile:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55604852
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
It is reported that an organised event involving covid deniers occurred with people travelling considerable distance to make their ‘protest’.

Two individuals refused to give their details whilst one gave details which could not be confirmed. (False?)

They were invited to the station for further discussion/enquiries.

Police officers follow guidance frequently. Whilst not empowered to judge, they are empowered to place matters before the courts for clarification.
Last edited by A4 Pacific on Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.