For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sir Charles is one of those who can't tell the difference between freedom and licence. As to the threat to our wider liberties that has been in plain sight for a while, which is why I'm, in general, a fan of protest, but we all know what we vote for don't we :-)
By eltonioni
johnm wrote:the difference between freedom and licence

Go on then.

By Paul_Sengupta
Freedoms like for this nutter?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-55057700

Sinead Quinn was working at Quinn Blakey Hairdressers in Oakenshaw, Bradford, on Saturday when Kirklees Council officers issued a £4,000 fine.

The council found the salon open again on Monday and Tuesday and issued two further £10,000 fines. It had £1,000 and £2,000 fines for previous breaches.

Ms Quinn said on Instagram she did not consent to or accept the fines.

On the video, she is heard saying: "I don't consent to any fines, so it will just be returned to sender."

She had also displayed a poster on the salon door which refers to Magna Carta, and says the shop is "under the jurisdiction of common law".
By johnm
Sadly she's not alone with the Magna Carta nonsense, but I have every sympathy with businesses working hard to be "Covid safe" and trying to earn an honest living, they are as much victims as anyone else and they would be open legally if people took the precautions seriously and followed them reliably :-(
MikeB, JAFO liked this
By flybymike
I find it unbelievable that some can be so dismissive of an elderly lady arrested, spread eagled and bundled head first into the back of a van for exercising liberties and freedom of speech, previously a founding tenet of any democracy and now banned by an autocratic government.

Presumably had she suffered a heart attack or stroke that would have been neither here nor there.
Spooky, skydriller, DarrenL and 1 others liked this
By flybymike
And the MP clearly did not enter into that in an entirely objective way. He seems to have been in agreement with those protesting against the government he's part of.

Together with the other (thus far) 70 conservative MPs who hold exactly the same view.
By skydriller
The thing is, you would think that by now, if Hairdressers and Nail Salons were hotbeds of C19, that there would be a spike in the number of those workers that had caught the virus. Is there evidence there has been? Similarly, I also cant understand why a toyshop is any less C19 secure than a Supermarket, or a why a newsagent is more C19 secure than a bookshop.

I do understand about general increase in mixing of people increases transmission, but that appears to be in crowded indoor situations - I just dont see any evidence that getting your hair/nails done or going to a toyshop or bookshop is more dangerous than a supermarket, in fact its probably less crowded and so more likely that transmission occurs in a supermarket between customers than anywhere else. My own view looking around is that co-workers and friends are more likely to spread the virus when not "in public view"...

Regards, SD..
Spooky liked this
By Spooky
eltonioni wrote:The right to protest has been suspended, that's all the police needed to arrest her. That right was removed without even a Parliamentary debate.

Hopefully, a few more people are getting pished off with the suspension of democracy because so far the reaction from well-padded superannuated work-from-home I'm alright Jack types has been pathetic.

It won’t end with “defeating Covid” either. Hancock has already declared his plans to continue the “fight” onto flu :?
By DarrenL
JAFO wrote:It may be that the arrest was right or wrong but we do not know and, I imagine, Sir Charles, was unaware of all the facts at the time of his outburst.

You can watch what led up to the arrest here if you wish. From 35 minutes onwards. The lady in question is wearing a long brown coat and sunglasses. I was half expecting the Benny Hill theme tune to start up. No doubt many here will be of the opinion that being in the company of Piers Corbyn is reason enough to warrant arrest.

DarrenL wrote: being in the company of Piers Corbyn is reason enough to warrant arrest.

:lol: The only risk they pose is to themselves. To misquote Blackadder:
'Tis said, Piers, that civilised man seeks out good and intelligent company, so through learned discussion, he may rise above the savage and closer to God.

Yes, I'd heard that.

...Personally, I like to start the day with a total dickhead to remind me I'm best.

Long may they have the freedom to spout their hairbrained conspiracies theories.
DarrenL, flybymike liked this
skydriller wrote:The thing is, you would think that by now, if Hairdressers and Nail Salons were hotbeds of C19, that there would be a spike in the number of those workers that had caught the virus. Is there evidence there has been? Similarly, I also cant understand why a toyshop is any less C19 secure than a Supermarket, or a why a newsagent is more C19 secure than a bookshop.

I do understand about general increase in mixing of people increases transmission, but that appears to be in crowded indoor situations - I just dont see any evidence that getting your hair/nails done or going to a toyshop or bookshop is more dangerous than a supermarket, in fact its probably less crowded and so more likely that transmission occurs in a supermarket between customers than anywhere else. My own view looking around is that co-workers and friends are more likely to spread the virus when not "in public view"...

The published list, showing "places visited before a positive covid test", was as follows :

Proportion of all common locations reported in PHE data:
Supermarket - 18.3%
Secondary school - 12.7%
Primary school - 10.1%
Hospital - 3.6%
Care home - 2.8%
College - 2.4%
Warehouse - 2.2%
Nursery preschool - 1.8%
Pub or bar - 1.6%
Hospitality - 1.5%
University - 1.4%
Manufacture engineering - 1.4%
Household fewer than five - 1.2%
General practice - 1.1%
Gym - 1.1%
Restaurant or cafe - 1.0%

Hairdressers didn't even figure in the list - but they are all closed down. The last dozen do not add up to the same percentage as the top contender. But, of course, none of this makes a blind bit of difference because they simply don't know where/how the infections are really spreading. So they are doing something/anything top make it look like they are in control here..........
flybymike, DarrenL liked this
By johnm
flybymike wrote:I find it unbelievable that some can be so dismissive of an elderly lady arrested, spread eagled and bundled head first into the back of a van for exercising liberties and freedom of speech, previously a founding tenet of any democracy and now banned by an autocratic government.

Presumably had she suffered a heart attack or stroke that would have been neither here nor there.

Those of us whose protest knowledge and activity dates back to the 1960s are quite used to it so water, duck's, back etc.....
By johnm
flybymike wrote:I’m just about as old as you John.

Then you led a very sheltered life :-)