For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Bill McCarthy
Quite normal - a white ewe can have a “throw back” set of black lambs. For the same reason, this year, we’ve had a couple of lambs with black patches - always on the legs somewhere, but never on the body. Some shepherds will buy in a black sheep to the flock as they reckon it keeps the fox at bay. I was up and about at 02.00 this morning to check on the last ones to lamb and heard the foxes in the distance.
Miscellaneous liked this
By Miscellaneous
Bill McCarthy wrote:For the same reason, this year, we’ve had a couple of lambs with black patches...

Thanks Bill, I've seen the patches often enough, including on the body. Just seems strange to see completely white lambs with a completely black sheep.
By Bill McCarthy
Forgot to add - white sheep can have both a white and black lamb at the same time and of course a black sheep, the same.
If the flock is closed, as mine is - (no breeding females brought in) you have to “buy in” a tup(s) in order to prevent “in breeding” and to improve breed characteristics - which can take decades. There never seems to be the perfect tup, therefore you have to make a selection on the type you need ie. better wool, better gigot, good black hoofs, ears clear of spots, good clean head. Buying a bit at a time ! A highly priced tup doesn’t necessarily mean that he will breed well. There is always the risk of a “throw back” with a rogue gene along the way. They are culled out and it can set you back a couple of years.
Miscellaneous liked this
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I haven’t added much here of late, mainly because the cold frosty nights and lower daytime temperatures have kept the growth right down and the crops are really quite behind their usual growth stage for this time of year.

They have had 60% of their nitrogen fertiliser, and I’ll soon be out there applying disease protection to them. However, it’s been so dry and cool that disease levels are lower than ever. Straw shorteners haven’t been needed yet either due to the slow rate of growth.

The dry weather has really hit the spring planted crops, and they’re desperate for moisture. The autumn planted ones however are more robust as their roots are much deeper by now and they can find water at depths of up to a metre.
By Bill McCarthy
There are thousands of acres not sown yet in the far north - the ground is still too cold but once the others catch up and we begin to get that sweet rain coming down vertically ( for a change) the combines will get into the fields at exactly the same time in the autumn.
I have several acres of kale and swedes to sow ( for the sheep) but not before the 28th May (term day) when the danger of frosts has passed.
By Bill McCarthy
An awful lot of diesel has been burned in the county these last few days in this dry spell to put the last of the crop in the ground. I have just one sheep left to lamb and she’s bliddy determined to prolong the wait for me to clear out the lambing sheds and pens.
Farming is not all sweet smelling meadows and relaxing teas in the afternoon sunshine.

Ten hours after starting irrigating the maize fields, the pump shared its impeller shaft at 5am this morning. So instead of a nice Sunday out flying, my first six hours were spent stripping the pump unit ready for repair - best guess is around £5k for parts (from Italy) , plus another day of labour to rebuild....

Not just flying that is expensive!

By Flying_john
Charliesixtysix wrote:It is very dry indeed - quite a dust storm following the maize drill today.

Aha - thats why the cars are so dusty !!
By TheKentishFledgling
Charliesixtysix wrote:Farming is not all sweet smelling meadows and relaxing teas in the afternoon sunshine.

Ten hours after starting irrigating the maize fields, the pump shared its impeller shaft at 5am this morning. So instead of a nice Sunday out flying, my first six hours were spent stripping the pump unit ready for repair - best guess is around £5k for parts (from Italy) , plus another day of labour to rebuild....

Not just flying that is expensive!

Gorgeous photo though!
Charliesixtysix, PeteSpencer, mick w and 1 others liked this