For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By tr7v8
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
townleyc wrote:I have noticed that people seem to be calling sulphur - the element 'sulfur' now - why? :(

KE

Slow adoption of american spelling. I see dual/duel. tyre/tire etc a lot now. Even from my local well educated MP!
By nallen
@townleyc Sulfur has been the preferred spelling of IUPAC (International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry), who decree such things, for quite a few years.

There's a good (short) piece on the etymology of sulfur here: https://www.nature.com/articles/nchem.301
kanga liked this
By nallen
Bill McCarthy wrote:Are we to adopt others such as labratory…

I know what a labradoodle is, but a labratory is surely a crime against nature.
Paultheparaglider, kanga, townleyc and 3 others liked this
By Boxkite
nallen wrote:
Bill McCarthy wrote:Are we to adopt others such as labratory…

I know what a labradoodle is, but a labratory is surely a crime against nature.

It was an attempt to breed some intelligence into politicians. It was abandoned in 1964 when the prototype started to grow dog hair.
Paultheparaglider, nallen, kanga and 1 others liked this
By condor17
Farmer , hopefully to bring this back to Pg 1 ..
How did your harvest go ?
Please only catch up when you have time ..
Was a month late down in Wessex , they seem to have finished the corn [ Naarfick for wheat , barley ] . Rape has started , is that along with mustard the last to be harvested ?
Straw bales mostly cleared , typing as I watch the rain !
Some ploughing started , but catch crops of turnips? [ cattle/sheep food , eat in the field ; not take away ] coming up nicely through the stubble .
Maize not yet started , but in river fileds near us ; it's about 9' tall .
How was the yield in the end ?

Looking forward to your Harvest festival tales in Autumn .

rgds condor .

PS , only saw 3 crop circles this year , but SW Dorset has a maize field with 'Love' ...... rest not read as on a stude Navex with strong tailwind .

condor .
By PeteSpencer
Kudos to our farmer/landlord for not having to be reminded this year to park his 'kin great Straw Rolls at least 15 metres from our strip pending collection............................. :wink:
By Highland Park
In rural South Norfolk where I live, this year there seems to be significantly more maize being grown than I remember in previous years. Would there be a particular reason for that? Is it a more valuable and/or useful crop to grow, is is to do with crop rotation or likely to be another reason?

Ian
By TheFarmer
C66 is absolutely right with his explanation of where all the maize is going to. The domestic E10 petrol is mainly derived from wheat, in the UK at least. The USA will be using maize for petrol I'm sure, but we don't harvest dry maize here, just wet stuff for AD plants and dairy/beef cattle.

I stopped the Wheat Crop thread, as I was told it was "crass" during a pandemic. :(

I didn't mean it to be that way, I can assure you. I just thought there had been some interest in farming things in the past, and it might be of interest.

:thumleft: