For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob L
@TheFarmer That looks like good husbandry, but big capital investment!
Do you get rat/mice/pigeon/other vermin apart from the human ones problems?

Also, what part of nitrogen fertilizer is the "bit" that adds the nutrition...is it nitrogen itself, or nitrates of an element or chemical, and if so which? Just inquisitive.

Rob
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hi Rob

Mice and rats need constant treatment with such a big food source for them in one place. Saying that, the products out there these days are pretty effective.

It’s the nitrogen itself. The liquid formulation I apply is 26% nitrogen and 9% sulphur. I apply 600 litres of it per hectare to the crop, and in 4 splits through the spring. That’s 240 litres per acre.
Rob L liked this
By PeteSpencer
@TheFarmer

Any chance of your publishing this in book/booklet form?

‘ A Year in the Life of an Arable Farm’ in pictures/text would go down a storm in my granddaughters junior school . I’d buy a dozen copies….. :wink: :!:

Though I guess You tube would be the medium of choice these days :roll:
By TheFarmer
Bill McCarthy wrote:Could you summarise - how many times do yo visit the field from sowing to combining ?

Sowing
Rolling
Pre-emergence herbicide
Avadex granular herbicide
Aphicide
PK fert application.
Nitrogen 1 pass
Early fungicide
Nitrogen 2 pass
Herbicide
Nitrogen 3 pass
Fungicide and growth regulator
Nitrogen 4 pass
Fungicide
Harvest
Sooty25, AndyR, Rjk983 liked this
By Rjk983
Sorry if it’s covered earlier in the thread. And I also apologise in advance for talking about the dreaded drones…

I’m very familiar with their use in construction, particularly the use of LIDAR and photogrammetry to carry out surveys.

Whenever I’ve had to read through the websites of potential drone service suppliers they often mention their use in agriculture, but they never give much detail. Can you give any pointers to what they do and how it works, I understand it’s to do with chromatography?? Basically using the optical and infrared sensors to determine how well the crop is doing? Is this to do with the chemicals present or given off by the crops?
By Bill McCarthy
I only put down oats for sprIng feed for pregnant ewes. Others in the area sow barley for winter houses cattle, and oats for sheep (barley is too coarse for sheep). Ploughing takes place in November (weather permitting) or early spring. Sometimes the crops are not put down as late as early May.
It’s.
Plough
Sow
Roll if it looks that we are in for a dry spell
Apply growth regulator if it looks too vigorous - critical timing required
Combine
Bale straw for animal bedding.
Bring in bales
By matthew_w100
TheFarmer wrote:Hi Rob

Mice and rats need constant treatment with such a big food source for them in one place. Saying that, the products out there these days are pretty effective.

Can you get rat poison that works better than the stuff I can buy in Robert Dyas? Do you need a licence?
By Rob L
matthew_w100 wrote:

Can you get rat poison that works better than the stuff I can buy in Robert Dyas? Do you need a licence?

There are lots of videos on u-Tube [sic] showing rat & other vermin extermination using lead-equivalent products. Vegans need not apply.
By TheFarmer
matthew_w100 wrote:

What % active ingredient is the stuff you have? It’ll probably be either Bromadialone or Difenacoum. Resistance to these is quite common, so Brodifacoum is the best one to use if you can find it.
matthew_w100 liked this
By Nick
Since the reduction of sulphur in gas oil and road diesel (low sulpher fuels) do you find you are putting more sulphur on the crop as a fertilizer?

Nick