For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Miscellaneous
Jim Jones wrote:Did part of the N500 2 years ago. Spent £800 for a cottage, shopped in Ullapool, ate out most days.

I don't think either of us said all tourists were taking, being inconsiderate and not contributing.

Hurry back, you're welcome here. :wink:
Jim Jones liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Very interesting @Flyingfemme we haven't coped well with complex variables and this does a good job of creating a context I think. The key issue was always keeping the impact on healthcare and undertakers under control perhaps we've lost sight of that core issue........

The other point is that it aint really like flu in terms of impact and load on healthcare, so that is a complication to be considered.....
By eltonioni
While the UK lowers the limit on social gatherings to six people, Sweden has increased the limit to 500 people.
By malcolmfrost
johnm wrote:
Nope, you dont get it at all. :roll:

Oh yes I do but the world may have changed for ever in some cases and adaptation will be needed.

Commuting is a miserable and expensive business and if folk have found a way to reduce the need they won't easily be persuaded back.

I think we may see a shift in the balance between home working and office working. Many people were already in the situation where they weren't doing 5 days a week at the office and they may look to be doing less than they were.

Moreover the volume of international travel may reduce for similar reasons. The balance between face to face and Zoom etc. may also shift permanently. The cost savings are very attractive for cash strapped businesses.

Unusually I agree! I think people will still need to go into offices and do international travel, because the value of an evening down the pub with a client and the contacts you get from that is invaluable. New entrants will not be able to make an impact over Zoom so they will want to be at the office,
johnm liked this
By flybymike
Miscellaneous wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:Did part of the N500 2 years ago. Spent £800 for a cottage, shopped in Ullapool, ate out most days.

I don't think either of us said all tourists were taking, being inconsiderate and not contributing.

Hurry back, you're welcome here. :wink:

Am I allowed to come back with my evil motorhome as well?
I promise not to drop even a sweet wrapper.
By Miscellaneous
@flybymike what are your intentions? :evil:

If it is to come here and put nothing in to the economy whilst blocking roads at 20mph, stopping in the road at every waterfall so Mrs fbm can take snaps through an open window and generally make a nuisance of yourself, then I'd rather you went to France and got in @skydriller's way. :D

On the other hand if you drive at a sensible speed, appreciate not everyone has no where specific to get to and all day to do so and are happy to put something in to the local economy beyond a token gesture then I suppose it's acceptable? If you must. :wink:
johnm, Nick liked this
By Miscellaneous
@flybymike can we take that as a confession that, although you are not a litter lout you are a selfish driver who's every penny is a prisoner. :wink:

Did you say you are a Yorkshirman? :wink:
By Miscellaneous
JAFO wrote:This could be good. :D :wink:

Only if you believe the myths about the Scots. :wink:

It is all a bit tongue in cheek, however there is a very serious underlying issue.

Let me put it another way. Who would welcome road hogging, litter louts who's only interest is what they can take, to their neighbourhood?

In the last week I had to hunt a group of young Germans parked up for the night in their motorhome (they didn't know I have no authority). Thursday I happened across a couple out a walk. The commented on my gloves asking if I was off to work. They probably regretted it when told it was to protect me from non glove wearing tourists when going through gates. I was holding a gate open for them at the time. They then complained that there was charge for a car park at a local and overrun beauty spot. They decided not to pay and went elsewhere.
By JAFO
Miscellaneous wrote:
JAFO wrote:This could be good. :D :wink:

Only if you believe the myths about the Scots. :wink:

You have to bear in mind that I was in Aberdeen last week where the seagulls carry their own sandwiches.

I am almost certainly more frugal than many Scotsmen and have never received anything other than generosity when in Scotland (though, being a Lancashire lad, I couldn't go as far as extending that to Yorkshire :wink: ). In fact, last week, when near Inverness, I was out for a stroll and people stopped to offer me a lift, I can't think of anywhere else in the UK that that would still happen. One of the people who stopped was a bus driver, driving her bus, and she wasn't going to charge me for a lift to the next town.

As far as the other stuff goes I am all for people being allowed to go where they like at whatever speed they like in whatever manner they like spending their money where, and indeed if, they choose to. Of course, I would not condone incommoding others or littering.
By Miscellaneous
JAFO wrote:As far as the other stuff goes I am all for people being allowed to go where they like at whatever speed they like in whatever manner they like spending their money where, and indeed if, they choose to.

I think your view may change if you had to live with it. :wink: Is it acceptable for people to, for example, stop at a junction on a 60mph road whilst they have a discussion about whether they should turn left? or what about those who jump on brakes and come to a halt to take photographs of Highland cows in a field?

It may seem like thread drift, however I think it is intrinsically linked to the mentality of the modern selfish mindset of the hard of thinking. :D

Beyond that the fact is the infrastructure cannot support it. Whilst the notion everyone should do as they wish is attractive the reality is somewhat different.
By flybymike
They probably regretted it when told it was to protect me from non glove wearing tourists when going through gates.

Beware glove wearing tourists who touched their faces with their gloves on before touching the gates, (or touched infected gates with their gloves on before transferring the death germ to the next gate.)