For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Paultheparaglider
Charliesixtysix wrote:Welsh sheepdog Kim sells for world record £27,100

I think I read somewhere lockdown had put dog prices up a bit.

I live in Welsh sheep territory. If anyone is interested, I could probably "procure" a few good 'uns from the neighbourhood and supply them for a little bit cheaper than that. :wink:

And speaking of border collies, my close neighbours used to love border collies, and had owned many over the years I had known them. One time they wanted to go away for a few days to a place that didn't allow dogs. They asked me if I would feed Dylan and take him out for daily walks, and I willingly agreed.

A week before their trip, I took Dylan for his walks strictly supervised by the lady of the house. This went well. We would get to this small wooded area where the owner would let him off the lead and let him have a good run around. We would call him back and then take him home.

Anyway, off they went, so I pop round to their house and take Dylan out for walkies. We get to the woods and I get him loose as instructed. But, when I call him back, does he come? No chance. He is off like a shot.

I spent the next couple of hours hunting around for him to absolutely no avail. At this point, I'm really worried about how I'm going to explain to my neighbours, who really love this dog, how I've managed to lose him. It was a very nerve racking walk home, anticipating the very difficult phone call I was going have to make.

I arrived back at their home to find the little b*gg=r sitting on the doorstep with the most innocent look on his face. He had definitely outsmarted me. :oops:

Guess who didn't get let off the lead the next day.
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As a 19 y.o. I was home alone, dog-sitting our Springer and yellow Lab for 2 weeks.

Day one, let dogs out for a run. Springer comes back, Lab doesn't. Called, shook kibble bag, whistled, worried. Next morning I reported her missing. Parents rang. Yes, yes, all is fine. Enjoy the rest of your hols.
Four days later the the farmer nextdoor rang to say he thought it was our Lab who had been sitting diligently beside the fishermen, begging for food, for the past 3 days :lol: :lol: :lol:

I drove up to collect her, opened the car door, called her over and she slunk into the front pax well and looked very sheepish, even though I had been careful not to tell her off once she came to me. In fact she really looked embarrassed, if that is possible!

She never rang off again.

PS - I only fessed up 30 years later :mrgreen:
By eltonioni
Dogs definitely know how to make idiots out of us. Our last Doberman loved squirrels, as in loved to chase them no matter what we tried. Anyway, one day in a big park she spots one and bounds off without success. Sees another and gives chase, then another, then another as she went over the event horizon. An hour of searching later I'm getting more than a bit worried about where she is and thinking that she's on the road with visions of traffic pile ups and screaming children being shielded from the scary Doberman Pincher.

Should have known better. Eventually, somebody told us that she'd gone straight to the park cafe and had spent the hour being extra nice to children in return for ice ceam and chips.

Lesson learned - in matters canine, think like a dog, not like a stoopid human.
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Paultheparaglider wrote:
Charliesixtysix wrote:Welsh sheepdog Kim sells for world record £27,100

I think I read somewhere lockdown had put dog prices up a bit.

I live in Welsh sheep territory. If anyone is interested, I could probably "procure" a few good 'uns from the neighbourhood and supply them for a little bit cheaper than that. :wink:

And speaking of border collies, my close neighbours used to love border collies, and had owned many over the years I had known them. One time they wanted to go away for a few days to a place that didn't allow dogs. They asked me if I would feed Dylan and take him out for daily walks, and I willingly agreed.

A week before their trip, I took Dylan for his walks strictly supervised by the lady of the house. This went well. We would get to this small wooded area where the owner would let him off the lead and let him have a good run around. We would call him back and then take him home.

Anyway, off they went, so I pop round to their house and take Dylan out for walkies. We get to the woods and I get him loose as instructed. But, when I call him back, does he come? No chance. He is off like a shot.

I spent the next couple of hours hunting around for him to absolutely no avail. At this point, I'm really worried about how I'm going to explain to my neighbours, who really love this dog, how I've managed to lose him. It was a very nerve racking walk home, anticipating the very difficult phone call I was going have to make.

I arrived back at their home to find the little b*gg=r sitting on the doorstep with the most innocent look on his face. He had definitely outsmarted me. :oops:

Guess who didn't get let off the lead the next day.

I have a very close friend who agreed to look after her mother's dog while her mother went off on holiday. Both families were fully experienced in looking after their own dogs. My friends 'visiting' dog made an unexpected bolt for the door, escaped and sadly was knocked down and killed by a car. the guilt that came from this incident was (is) terrible, my friend will never look after another dog again.
By Flyingfemme
eltonioni wrote:Dogs definitely know how to make idiots out of us. Our last Doberman loved squirrels, as in loved to chase them no matter what we tried. Anyway, one day in a big park she spots one and bounds off without success. Sees another and gives chase, then another, then another as she went over the event horizon. An hour of searching later I'm getting more than a bit worried about where she is and thinking that she's on the road with visions of traffic pile ups and screaming children being shielded from the scary Doberman Pincher.

Should have known better. Eventually, somebody told us that she'd gone straight to the park cafe and had spent the hour being extra nice to children in return for ice ceam and chips.

Lesson learned - in matters canine, think like a dog, not like a stoopid human.

I thought the same about my GSD - after all, people would cross the road when they saw us so as not to get too close. He had a regular “date” with an old lady down the road (we found out eventually”) who dished out chocolate biscuits. One afternoon we had a call from a stranger half a mile away; he’d got the number from the tag on GSD’s collar. His kids had found 95lbs of teeth and fur in the street, with his spotty (much cuter) friend and taken them home. By the time my DH got there with two leads they had invited all the kids in the street indoors to play. It does nothing to discourage the bu$$ers from escaping!
T6Harvard, eltonioni liked this
By PaulSS
@Flyingfemme
......but a Dally will eat practically anything

Yes, especially the poxy hound we have now. Mmmmmm, crunchy, 2 week dead crabs. Horse poo. Yesterday, a bass carcass (probably at least one week floating in the Channel) and this morning's find was a tasty tail and innards of a thornback ray. It's absolutely pointless trying to get it off her because (a)she becomes deaf to any commands to 'come here' and (b)she can run a lot faster than I.

Her normal food is Royal Canin (Spotty Dog packet, because it's supposed to have stuff to stop them getting uric acid problems) but she'll scrounge for anything:

eltonioni, T6Harvard liked this
By kanga
Charles Hunt wrote:..

I knew dogs were clever, but I didn't know they'd started using telephones.

:)

<drift :oops: >

genuine incident, from '60s. We were visiting friends in Lake District from home in Liverpool.

Mother: "We really ought to leave. I have to get back to feed the cat"
Hostess (apparently serious): "Can't you ring the cat ?"

<back to the record-breaking auction price for a Welsh Collie>

I noted the detail that the seller was Welsh-speaking, but had trained it only in English for marketability :? I expect the dog was smart enough to have learnt some Welsh not intended for its ears; pas devant les enfants (or, for an earlier generation domestiques :) , or in this context chien ) rarely works for long, and can be an excellent language tutor, as my parents discovered :wink:

</>
By Flyingfemme
PaulSS wrote:......but a Dally will eat practically anything

A fact of which I am well aware.....and yours is just the right size for clearing the table.
By Paultheparaglider
kanga wrote: I expect the dog was smart enough to have learnt some Welsh not intended for its ears; [i]pas devant les enfants

Isn't pas devant les enfants French? Or is the dog in question a seriously polyglot pooch? Or am I barking up the wrong arbre again? :wink:

Croeso.
T6Harvard, kanga liked this
By eltonioni
There was a time, not very long ago, when farmers around these parts were glad of people taking BC pups off their hands. Who on earth pays that much for one working dog, no matter how good it is? Fascinated to understand the market if it's not just a shoot day bragging rights trophy for a solicitor with a Landie.
By kanga
[quote="Paultheparaglider"..
Isn't pas devant les enfants French? Or is the dog in question a seriously polyglot pooch? ...[/quote]

I'm suggesting that a BC might be smart enough to be usefully bilingual :)

[pas devant .. expressions were once said from one anglophone adult to another to warn latter not to mention, in English, something which some people present (presumed to understand only English) should not hear. Perhaps this is unfamiliar to younger Forumites .. :oops: ]
Paultheparaglider liked this