For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have heard that a bag full of Angler's bait-maggots, posted through the letterbox (moins bag") Has a wondrous effect on a house that's vacant for a few days, whilst the normal occupants are on holiday.
Strategically-placed loudspeakers emitting a high-pitched , penetrating tone, constantly (fairly low power) :twisted:
AndyR liked this
By Propwash
I'm sure those suggestions were tongue in cheek. But such counter actions have two potentially negative consequences:

1) It evicts you from the moral high ground which makes it much less likely that you will receive sympathetic assistance from the authorities should you need it

2) It runs the very high risk that anti-social behaviour by neighbours turns into violent retribution.

It's very rarely worth engaging in tit for tat behaviour in these sort of situations, even if it does sometimes feel like a release valve. Never forget that, unless and until the victim moves, they have to live beside the consequences of escalated tensions.

PW
By AndyR
Propwash wrote:I'm sure those suggestions were tongue in cheek. But such counter actions have two potentially negative consequences:

1) It evicts you from the moral high ground which makes it much less likely that you will receive sympathetic assistance from the authorities should you need it

2) It runs the very high risk that anti-social behaviour by neighbours turns into violent retribution.

It's very rarely worth engaging in tit for tat behaviour in these sort of situations, even if it does sometimes feel like a release valve. Never forget that, unless and until the victim moves, they have to live beside the consequences of escalated tensions.

PW

Just to reassure you, yes tongue in cheek :)
By Paul_Sengupta
Pete L wrote:Could certainly teach the Dutch how to speak directly :D

Could you send Viv round? What's her hourly rate, and what could we do to wind her up before letting her loose? You must have experience with that sort of thing.... :D
By Pete L
We *are* the neighbours that get complained about (not by Andy!).

I've been trying to avoid polluting the thread with the other side of the story but I echo everything PW said.

After several years as a parish councillor planning disputes showed me that the layer of civilization is surprisingly thin. Consideration and tolerance seem to be in decreasingly short supply - might just be age though. There's a particular kind of entitlement that it's very hard not to get annoyed by.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By AndyR
Pete L wrote:We *are* the neighbours that get complained about (not by Andy!).

I've been trying to avoid polluting the thread with the other side of the story but I echo everything PW said.

Oh please do...
By flyingdoug
AndyR wrote:New neighbours moved in at the beginning of the year. I am perfectly justified in complaining officially (unbelievable noise, inconsiderate behaviour, etc), however, having spoken to the new tenant and been ignored, if I complain officially, am I correct that this now goes on record? So if we sell, it has to be declared?

I feel your pain. I live in a place with a couple of council-owned flats and our pleasant elderly lady neighbour on the ground floor has sadly been moved out and replaced at the start of this year by a drug junkie. At some point daily (day and night), the stench of cannabis smoke makes its way up through our open windows (even though he's two floors down). We have to close all our windows for several hours while he's taking his drugs, though the smoke still finds its way in a little. He regularly invites his mates around (lockdown or not) and based on their behaviour they clearly take other drugs alongside their 'smoking'.

I've been complaining to the police on 101, estate management and the local authority regularly - I wasn't aware that doing so would need to be declared if I opted to sell (seriously considering it at the moment). This addict is taking illegal drugs every day (against the law - and his lease agreement) in a manner which impacts the residents around him, should it really be that hard to get him kicked out? I know of at least 3 neighbours making similar complaints and he's received a written warning so far - but I have also been warned that getting rid of him will take time.

It would be very useful if anyone here has experienced similar and has any advice on obtaining a positive outcome.
By Sooty25
@flyingdoug bring a claim for damages against the landlord. If you have notified them of the illegal activity and they are doing nothing, you could be able to hold them responsible for distress and inconvenience.

Next option, 999, request an ambulance and police presence next time has his mates round. "It sounded like one of them was fitting".
By eltonioni
flyingdoug wrote: He regularly invites his mates around (lockdown or not) and based on their behaviour they clearly take other drugs alongside their 'smoking'.

Presumably, from your casual observations some of those "mates" appear to be about 13 years old and include girls.
By eltonioni
The insinuation when it's girls is under age prostitution, not just minors around drugs.