For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By AndyR
Well, it is Help & Advice forum...

We have been lucky enough to have the neighbours from hell move in. The estate is a mix of privately owned and council/housing association. And yup, next door is council. Inhabited by an old guy since 1958, he moved into a dementia home last year.
New neighbours moved in at the beginning of the year. I am perfectly justified in complaining officially (unbelievable noise, inconsiderate behaviour, etc), however, having spoken to the new tenant and been ignored, if I complain officially, am I correct that this now goes on record? So if we sell, it has to be declared?

So as well as robbing us of quality of life, more than likely they will cost us money in lowered house prices.

Is there anything to be gained by everyone in the cul-de-sac raising a petition? Which is being discussed amongst us all. Does that make it even worse from a declaration point of view?

Despondent of Sussex.
By Nero
I've had similar issues with housing association neighbours next door and have a dedicated neighbourhood police office assigned to the case.

I believe you only have to declare legal disputes such as boundary disputes.

Social items like parties, dogs, etc, are not required and less enforceable in terms of a buyer sueing you for misinformation - especially if you've resolved an issue in your mind but happens to come up again post-sale.

Mine is due to the tenants regularly changing and not having a vested interest in the place. So the problems come and go, and therefore I don't intend to declare it if/when I sell.

~ Scott
By eltonioni
Then the Bearer Of Bad News comes along. The Seller's Property Information Form TA6 asks these questions of the seller:

2 Disputes
2.1 Do you know of any disputes about this or any neighbouring property?
(delete as applicable) no/ yes (please give details)

2.2 Have you received any complaints about anything you have, or have not, done as owners?

2.3 Have you made any such complaints to any neighbour about what the neighbour has or has
not done?

Sorry. :(
By rikur_
AndyR wrote:
Is there anything to be gained by everyone in the cul-de-sac raising a petition? Which is being discussed amongst us all. Does that make it even worse from a declaration point of view?

Petition to whom?

As a Councillor we've had a couple of neighbour issues similar to this where residents want special attention given to a neighbour without creating an audit trail. I'm not sure it's a recommended process, but perhaps there is a friendly Councillor that can take an interest 'on behalf of residents' but without creating an audit trail to specific residents.
By AndyR
Petition to the council by way of complaint. The thought was it may ram home how disruptive this new family is to entire section of the estate.

With confirmation from eltonioni that it needs to be declared, I think I will have to wait until a fellow neighbour loses patience.

Maybe my patience will run out first and it will be him complaining about me losing it with him...
By PeteSpencer
In 2015/6 neighbours nextdoor -but-one had dog which barked and howled incessantly from the moment they left for work till they came home, when it stopped immediately.Sitting out on our patio in the warm months was misery.( they turfed the dog into the garden when they were out)

If they went out, say, at a weekend shopping, I could tell the moment they went out to the moment they came home by the howling and barking.

I complained to the local council who sent me a diary to fill in of the noise. Then a neighbour 'over the back' also complained and apparently if two separate parties complain this triggers a visit from IIRC Environmental health and the diary was not essential.

However the barking continued after the visit so I went round to their house once more to ask them to shut it up: They didn't believe me until I played them excerpts from a dozen recordings taken on my iPhone and was able to tell them almost to the minute when they left the house and when they returned , weekdays or weekends.

The dog quietened down for a bit then resumed: However the following year our house was knocked down for our new build and when we returned to our new pad in our old garden, the dog was dead.

So Andy if your neighbours are making your life a misery, bite the bullet and complain, don't put up with it: You may take a small hit price wise but shirley that's better than mental anguish.Better still if another neighbour (s) complain too as they may get the neighbours turfed out.

Then when you have to declare the complaint you can, quite truthfully say, well we did have a problem but it was rapidly resolved.
Are you selling up or have you just moved in?

Peter
By rikur_
The Council will almost certainly have a policy for how to handle such complaints - I guess you're ultimately looking for an eviction, so it is worth finding out on what grounds can the Council evict.
As @PeteSpencer mentioned, it may be that two complaints triggers a threshold for environmental health - but that can be a fairly toothless process.
AndyR liked this
By johnm
That's a pig @AndyR bad neighbours are the pits :(

I think I would start with your local councillor who will have access to Housing Management in both the council and the Housing Association. Let it be known that there is general disquiet about their behaviour and attitude which is impacting the well being of the community.

It is then a tip off not a complaint and if your councillor is worth his/her salt it should then be brought to the attention of those who have a bit of power to address the issue.

The usual sanction is move the tenants to somewhere less comfortable.....
rikur_, AndyR liked this
By Propwash
If I may inject a note of caution:

From my long and varied experience of neighbourly disputes I would just point out that some turn out to be intractable. It depends entirely on the level or nature of nuisance that you can put up with as to whether you complain or not. Sometimes it can work, especially if they are in rented accommodation like your neighbours and the landlord can be persuaded that they are breaking the terms of the lease by their behaviour and eject them. Sometimes it can make matters a whole lot worse.

Anti-social people are, by their very nature, inconsiderate of others and I have had first hand experience of complaints by reasonable neighbours, even if just to the individuals themselves and not the authorities or landlords, aggravate the situation to the point of deliberately heightened noise levels, criminal damage, and even arson attacks with petrol poured through letterboxes. They can very quickly get seriously out of hand and even where some action is taken against them by landlords or authorities it is rarely quick.

That is the balance you have to judge: is it worth it? You should have some idea as to the likely reaction to any complaint by the neighbours general attitude. If possible it is usually better, where action has to be taken because the situation is unbearable, for it to be a group rather than an individual where no one household can be identified as the main instigator of the complaint. Even then it can be uncomfortable but there is strength and comfort in numbers.

I feel for you. I have never had to suffer it personally but have seen too many poor people who have. Home should be a sanctuary and when it turns sour it can have far reaching effects on mental and physical health and even marriages. Good luck.

PW

(The other alternative which I am reluctant to suggests involves masks - fashionable at present - late night visits, very large friends and baseball bats). :twisted:
johnm, PeteSpencer, flybymike and 4 others liked this
Doesn’t affect me, but ASBOs heaved out of Glasgow, or some other hell hole, seem to end up in our locality. I’m convinced that the council here get backhanders to take them. Crime levels have increased due to these intakes. The local sheriff court deals with a lot of them every Thursday. In addition, I’ve seen many council houses, or social housing, trashed, as if they have license to do so. They become so dilapidated that they get moved out, only to wreck somewhere else.
By Charles Hunt
I forget the detail but IIRC the only way to set things moving is to contact the authorities, you then have to create the detailed log of times and nothing ever happens. Getting a group of neighbours to act in concert seems the sensible way forward.

Alternatively I could come round with a Marshall amp and do some guitar practice.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Complain to the council - they have to take action
By TheFarmer
Andy

You haven’t actually said what they’re doing to p155 you off.

unbelievable noise, inconsiderate behaviour, etc

If they’re loud, opinionated, obnoxious, vegan, and smelly, that’s one thing.

But if they’re complaining about the smell of your Padstow lobster on the BBQ and the Mozart that’s too loud, well we need to have a chat.

Hungry for more facts, from Wiltshire.

Xx
AndyR, Nick liked this