For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Iceman wrote:I must get a tele one of these days.

Iceman 8)

Must admit the first time I read 'tele' I wondered wtf a 'tele' was as I was rhyming it with 'squeal'.

Round our way we Sun readers call it a telly: as cemented into the English vernacular by our district, sorry, community, midwives in the late 90s when sodding great TVs sprang up on our council estates long before the rest of us mortals could afford them.
And so the ' Council House Telly' was born as anything over a 42 inch screen.....

Along with the Council House Jags and Rangeys

Peter :roll:
Spurred on by the repeat of the first four episodes of The Bridge on Saturday we have blitzed through the entire first series by last night.

Still an excellent watch.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
acadjua wrote:.., the only new stuff being shown which is Beeb produced is Casualty and Total Wipeout

there is a new series of University Challenge :) .. but not (yet) of Only Connect, which usually starts about a week after UC :( Latter is filmed at a Cardiff studio, season's whole series compressed into a few days' shooting, according to participants whom I have known.

Recent new 'isolated' productions shown on the BBC have included the remakes of (and one new) 'Talking Heads' (filmed at a film studio, I think I read) and (last week) 'Unsaid stories' (filmed at locations, but with only 2 actors per episode)
kanga wrote:
there is a new series of University Challenge :) .. but not (yet) of Only Connect, which usually starts about a week after UC

Beeb website has no mention of any upcoming series of Only Connect. Even if there is, then added to UC that would make a stonking 60 minutes of new TV output per week, across BBC1, BBC2, BBC4, BBC Scotland, BBC Alba . . . .

Bill H
acadjua wrote:Apart from what they call"sports" * coverage, the only new stuff being shown which is Beeb produced is Casualty and Total Wipeout

Wronnnng!

Total Wipeout is old stuff: They've removed the Richard Hammond commentary (presumably fallout from the Top Gear/Clarkson debacle) and substituted a new commentary by Flintoff and some other oik.
Nothing 'new' about it.

PeteSpencer wrote:
acadjua wrote:Apart from what they call"sports" * coverage, the only new stuff being shown which is Beeb produced is Casualty and Total Wipeout

Wronnnng!

Total Wipeout is old stuff: They've removed the Richard Hammond commentary (presumably fallout from the Top Gear/Clarkson debacle) and substituted a new commentary by Flintoff and some other oik.
Nothing 'new' about it.

Peter, @acadjua is new here, that was his first post, and I think he had finger trouble trying to quote an excerpt from one of my posts, which ended up slightly out of context..

Bill H
PeteSpencer wrote:

Wronnnng!

Nothing 'new' about it.

As stated on previous page.... :wink:
Rob P wrote:
I'll give ep two a go later in the week

Rob P

Just for completeness, we finished the entire series (The Last Wave). It was OK. Not groundbreaking, but having watched three series of Cardinal in the course of this year, a blessed relief from gruesome mayhem.

It could have done with more surfing though, some of those breaks were spectacular.

Rob P

Possibly understated. I've just got the new RT (for 22-28 Aug). Other than those above, daily/weekly news (and related news discussions) and 'archive compilation' programmes, I see on BBC TV channels not marked as repeats and apparently UK-made (so presumably BBC-produced or -commissioned) the following TV (ie, not movies etc) programmes:

[I make no comment on their worth, which is for others to judge :wink: some are, of course, new episodes of established series]

Sunday morning live
Songs of Praise
Animal Park
Countryfile
A Suitable Boy
(should have remembered that, as I've been watching it; enjoying the Hindi/Urdu)
Mortimer and Whitehouse: gone fishing
Call that hard work ?
Stories of us
Famalam
Hostage in Iran: Panorama
Documentary of the week
University Challenge
Handmade in Africa
The joy of painting
African Renaissance: when art meeets power
How's your head, Hun ? With Michelle Visage
Hayley Goes ...
This farming life
Manctopia: Billion pound property boom
Pink dreams: Our lives
Reported Missing
Great Continental railway journeys
Harlots
Celebrity Masterchef
Fighting the power: Britain after George Floyd
Glow up: Britain's next make-up star
Mandy
Semi-detached
The young offenders
First night of the proms
Gardeners' world

The same issue has 'An autumn [new] drama preview'. Those to be shown on Freeview channels (ie, those available who, like me, pay no extra suscription); markers as 'series' when RT clarifies, others may be:

BBC1: Strike (new series), Small Axe (series), Roadkill, Life (series), His Dark Materials (new series), Industry, Us
ITV: Des (series), The Singapore Grip, The sister, Honour (series)
C5: All creatures great and small (remakes)
C4: Moscow Noir
I haven't checked that list thoroughly, but I know that Harlots is an ITV series which has already been broadcast.

The list looks impressive, but actually boils down to a miserly 20 hours or so of broadcasting, thinly spread over 7 days, salami-sliced out to BBC1, BBC2, BBC4, (plus BBC Scotland, BBC Alba, and other BBC TV services)

As for the rest - cauld kale re-het.

Bill H
rf3flyer liked this
Does the scheduled output of the UK terrestrial channels actually matter any more?

There's so much excellent stuff to watch elsewhere.

Rob P
Bill Haddow wrote:.., salami-sliced out to BBC1, BBC2, BBC4, (plus BBC Scotland, BBC Alba, and other BBC TV services)

My list was only of those programmes listed on BBC1 2 and 4. I made no effort to determine what original programming was on BBC3, the children's channels, or the 'regional' and Parliamentary ones (last rather constrained by Parliamentary activities, of course); or, for that matter, BBC Radio.

There have, of course, been other original programmes shown during, but presumably made before, lockdown; including several multipart dramas. Making multiple cast or location dramas at the moment will obviously be a challenge. There was a VE Day Antiques Roadshow 'special' made before lockdown; the planned VJ Day one (for which my family had offered an artefact) was, obviously, never made, although I suppose it may yet be.

My point was only that there was a bit more than only 'sports, Wipeout and Casualty'.