For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I watched an episode of Planet Earth on one of the channels yesterday. I have to say, these programmes, Planet Earth, Blue Planet, etc, really are superb. They have to be watched in HD. The natural world programmes made by the BBC are second to done, they really do set the standard.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mywy
https://www.bbcearth.com/planet/
https://www.bbcearth.com/

This probably isn't in the spirit of this thread, but I much prefer to watch these sort of documentaries than some sort of fictional drama. They're easier to fit into schedules as well as they can be watched randomly, as and when they happen to be on at the same time as I have a bit of spare time.
By Pete L
We've been working through all of the proper history documentaries, although they do tend to be a bit BBC on-message compared to some of the books I have. The Cuba one was really good, and the Scottish clan wars of the 18th century has got off to a very promising start.

I guess the BBC has to stick to what is acceptable to write in response to a GCSE exam question. Having been examined on social science it is clear there is a party line you cannot stray from and pass.
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I watched an episode of Planet Earth on one of the channels yesterday. I have to say, these programmes, Planet Earth, Blue Planet, etc, really are superb. They have to be watched in HD. The natural world programmes made by the BBC are second to done, they really do set the standard.

The Planet Earth stuff is very good, but dates back to 2006; how many times has it been repeated?

As for "natural world programmes made by the BBC", well, co-produced would be nearer the mark.

Bill H
Pete L wrote:
I guess the BBC has to stick to what is acceptable to write in response to a GCSE exam question

So GCSE exam boards and markers can re-write history with the connivance of the BBC ?

Without straying too far into politics, having heard and read the court reports of the Alex Salmond trial I am astonished at the omissions and bias in both the BBC2 prog on Monday night and the Radio4 prog on Tuesday night.

Bill H
Bill Haddow wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:..The natural world programmes made by the BBC are second to done, they really do set the standard.

As for "natural world programmes made by the BBC", well, co-produced would be nearer the mark.

Bill H

The BBC Natural History Unit has grown from small beginnings to achieve a global reputation for excellence. It is unsurprising, and arguably commendable, that it now makes arrangements with overseas, especially US, channels for investment and guaranteed sales in return for 'co-production' credits before embarking on major new projects

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Natural_History_Unit
kanga wrote:I made no effort to determine what original programming was on BBC3, the children's channels . . . .
. . . My point was only that there was a bit more than only 'sports, Wipeout and Casualty'.

BBC3 was scrubbed 4 and a bit years ago Kangers, you really do need to stay in a bit more :wink: Children's channels can stand a fair amount of repeats, particularly those channels targeted at pre-schoolers; by the time the children are 10 or more they're drifting into mainstream programming. Which said, I do wish we could get the proper, pre PC, Fred Quimby Tom and Jerry cartoons, not the anodyne later rubbish.

I agree, there is a [i]bit[/i] more, unfortunately it is only a little bit more.

Bill H
flybymike liked this
kanga wrote:The BBC Natural History Unit has grown from small beginnings to achieve a global reputation for excellence. It is unsurprising, and arguably commendable, that it now makes arrangements with overseas, especially US, channels for investment and guaranteed sales in return for 'co-production' credits before embarking on major new projects

Nowt wrong with co-production per se, but when it comes to "investment and guaranteed sales", we're getting close to He who pays the piper calls the tune territory and the stuff adumbrated by @Pete L a couple of posts back.

Bill H
By Pete L
Bill Haddow wrote:
Pete L wrote:
I guess the BBC has to stick to what is acceptable to write in response to a GCSE exam question

So GCSE exam boards and markers can re-write history with the connivance of the BBC ?

Without straying too far into politics, having heard and read the court reports of the Alex Salmond trial I am astonished at the omissions and bias in both the BBC2 prog on Monday night and the Radio4 prog on Tuesday night.

Bill H

I wouldn't accuse the BBC or the educational elite of choosing to rewrite history - just in choosing which stories to tell in a limited educational space.

For the Cuba and Scottish clan programmes they had the ring of plausibility - the personal axe-grinding detector was silent.
Bill Haddow wrote:..
BBC3 was scrubbed 4 and a bit years ago Kangers, you really do need to stay in a bit more :wink: ..
Bill H

Apologies. I thought it was still going online, and with some original programming there. Recent RT issues have included reviews suggesting that some programming appearing in BBC broadcast channels were first seen on bbc3.

Happy, as ever, to be corrected
MachFlyer liked this
kanga wrote:....

there is a new series of University Challenge :) .. but not (yet) of Only Connect, which usually starts about a week after UC :( Latter is filmed at a Cardiff studio, season's whole series compressed into a few days' shooting, according to participants whom I have known...

new series of OC starts Mon 21 Sep 2000, ie before UC, according to latest RT :)
By Pete L
We've been using The Ghan (3hr of slow TV) as restful entertainment for the lockdown lunchtime sandwich.

After watching punters sipping Aussie sparkling wine from polished glasses in 3rd class - 300 people to 30 odd carriages - Viv wants to see the 1st class accomodation for the sheep.
flybymike liked this
For a currently very topical, award-winning, movie made a mere 61 years ago, some may want to watch 'Sapphire', Talking Pictures, Sat 26 Sep, 2310

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapphire_(film)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053242/
kanga wrote: 'Sapphire', Talking Pictures, Sat 26 Sep, 2310

Well deep in the cast list I have found a reason to watch

Fenella Fielding as Lingerie Shop Manageress (uncredited)

Rob P
kanga, flybymike liked this