For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By eltonioni
kanga wrote: How this will affect the developed world's large cities and inner/outer suburbs is yet to be seen.

Much more than those in China, because they have gone back to work. Our luxury lifestyle expectations will be the death of that luxury.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
In short, WFH may suit some sorts of 'white collar' businesses, some greatly; but even those whom it suits may have perfectly competent and productive staff whom it does not, and who need support. How this will affect the developed world's large cities and inner/outer suburbs is yet to be seen.

Very good point. F International later Xansa did a lot of research on this as their whole business model was women working from home. It doesn't work well for everybody.
By Morten
That is clear. But often the support which can be put in place to make it work for everybody can be done at a local level, negating the need for huge hubs like the City and allowing smaller towns around the country to become more lived in and potentially more livable and vibrant.
Whereas some clearly bemoan the decline of a Pret or a Costa on every corner in large conurbations, part of that business is transferring to local outlets in towns and villages closer to peoples' homes.
There are certainly challenging times ahead for commuter based public transport and high-rise office spaces, but for the industry which supported the big hubs, it should mostly be a question of decentralisation. Which should be good for local shops.
johnm, T6Harvard liked this
By flybymike
Looks like we are finally going to get a judicial review of the entire disaster area regarding the government’s gross over reaction to Covid.

At first, a High Court judge denied their request for judicial review. But on 4 August the Court of Appeal ruled their case highlighted “fundamental” concerns about the accountability of ministers. The next hearing is expected to be held at the Court of Appeal at the end of this month. This will decide whether the case should progress to a full appeal which would see the government pressed to defend the introduction of measures which were described by the court as “possibly the most restrictive regime on the public life of persons and businesses ever”.

https://thecritic.co.uk/issues/septembe ... -lockdown/
By Bill McCarthy
That extract is akin to the old schoolboy howler - “the operation was successful but the patient died”.
By flybymike
Surgeon to post op patient;

“I have good news and bad news”

Patient; “What’s the bad news?”
Surgeon; “we amputated the wrong leg”
Patient; “Jeez! What’s the good news?”
Surgeon; “The other one is getting better.”
By johnm
More good news bad news.

Elderly relative into Care Home no problem as they have 15 spare rooms out of 44 having finally got the Covid debacle with NHS discharge under control.

Elderly relative tested negative but still in 14 days isolation in his private en suite room as they are determined to avoid a repetition.
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By riverrock
We had that a month ago - Granny-in-law home care provision wasn't working so we moved her into a care home. Isolated from everyone for first 14 days, including us and other residents which she found very tough. They weren't setup for internet access in rooms, so we organised mobile internet for her so she could facetime (etc) using iPad. Now allowing very limited visiting.
She is mentally 100% so it has been tough on her.

We have been dealing with maternity services. They were only allowing 1 man to visit on a ward at a time, but multiple women visitors "due Covid". I'm still not sure how that worked (it was "from management" according to the midwife...).
Hardest part of labour in hospital my wife says was when she was left alone as I wasn't allowed to be with her at early parts of labour (although I suspect she is stroking my ego, it's also because she couldn't keep painkillers down and was in too much pain to ask for help herself).
My cousin's baby had initial feeding issues which would normally have been picked up, but wasn't. He was transferred to a different hospital to mum, who wasn't allowed to travel with him. Meanwhile Dad wasn't allowed to visit at all so spent his 2 weeks paternity leave at home twiddling thumbs not seeing his son.

We've done no ante natal classes, pre and post natal services have been removed, or turned into telephone appointments. All charity, mother, breast feeding support groups aren't happening (the zoom based group meetings / clinics talked about by politicians aren't being run in our health board). There is evidence of a colossal rise in Post-Natal Depression.

Our daughter is healthy and happy but at times things have been tougher than they would normally be, as the normal support systems (friends, family) haven't been able to help. My wife has been on the edge of PND with no external support from the NHS or the dedicated services available.
Our church has been very good, including phone calls, socially distanced walks, pre-prepared food parcels ("Caring by Casseroles") and the coordinator is a former midwife - it would have been even harder without that extra support.
By flybymike
A complete disgrace.
The sooner the whole ridiculous over reaction is shut down, and the resultant massive ancillary damage to health and the economy ended, the better.
DarrenL liked this
By johnm
The fact that management of the pandemic is carp doesn't alter the fact that the pandemic is dangerous in a range of ways and not yet well understood.

We know how precautions can be made effective but we aren't seeing them consistently and coherently implemented, that's a management and leadership issue.

Where precautions are well managed activity carries on close to normal, otherwise it doesn't.

We're just working through risk assessments for reopening our village church and resuming services. It's not trivial because we have to process Church of England tools for risk management that are aimed at St Paul's cathedral and are so far over the top for us it's ridiculous, so step 1 is try to figure out what's relevant and then how far down the precaution road we go.

Some folk are keeping churches shut others implementing precautions WAAAAYYYY over the top. Humans are a mixed bunch.

Oh by the way litter now includes vast numbers of disposable masks adding to the plastic waste problem.

There are days when I think a cull of humans might not be a bad idea :roll: :twisted:
By skydriller
johnm wrote:There are days when I think a cull of humans might not be a bad idea :roll: :twisted:

...Some think that letting the virus "rip" would have been better in all sorts of ways...
flybymike liked this
By riverrock
johnm wrote:
We're just working through risk assessments for reopening our village church and resuming services. It's not trivial because we have to process Church of England tools for risk management that are aimed at St Paul's cathedral and are so far over the top for us it's ridiculous

You should see the Church of Scotland version. Now on version 7 and 64 pages long. We reopened for services a month ago but I also know congregations not opening at this time.
By eltonioni
When people really needed their churches they closed the doors and hid the clergy without a moment’s hesitation.

Why you still give them the time of day is beyond me, they are an utter disgrace.
By johnm
Not really. Churches closed because they were places of assembly and we already knew that churches elsewhere had been infection sources. The clergy in many cases, including ours, quickly adapted to live streaming a range of services and other activities and trying to ensure that the vulnerable were supported.