For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
eltonioni wrote:The thing about the Marshall Plan is that there was a friend to lend from. Not sure that you’ve thought that one through unless you’ve got a hotline to the Golgafrinchams.

The funds come from the central banks created out of thin air, no problem at all as inflation is not exactly a major risk at the minute......The funds get repaid as the economy recovers thus keeping the money supply under control.

Where do you think the money for mortgage, HP and credit card debt comes from? It's certainly not from savers these days :-)
By eltonioni
As you said earlier

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
By johnm
We identify that the UK’s national currency exists in three main forms, the second two of which exist in electronic form:

Cash – banknotes and coins.
Central bank reserves – reserves held by commercial banks at the Bank of England.
Commercial bank money – bank deposits created either when commercial banks lend money, thereby crediting credit borrowers’ deposit accounts, make payments on behalf of customers using their overdraft facilities, or when they purchase assets from the private sector and make payments on their own account (such as salary or bonus payments).
Only the Bank of England or the government can create the first two forms of money, which is referred to in this book as ​‘central bank money’. Since central bank reserves do not actually circulate in the economy, we can further narrow down the money supply that is actually circulating as consisting of cash and commercial bank money.

Physical cash accounts for less than 3 per cent of the total stock of money in the economy. Commercial bank money – credit and coexistent deposits – makes up the remaining 97 per cent of the money supply.

The Bank of England can also provide the government with money through buying government bonds

It's all very simple but not common knowledge apparently....
By johnm
Just watched Simon Rattle conduct a socially distanced LSO playing in an empty Royal Albert Hall :(
By skydriller
I still dont understand why if you can open a pub or a restaurant, and pack people into aeroplanes or trains for hours, it isnt possible to let people go to a venue where seats are numbered and couples/families could be distanced a seat or so apart - and that goes even more so for ourdoor events.

Regards, SD..
Spooky, T6Harvard liked this
By PeteSpencer
Bill Haddow wrote:I don't see how you can have a Promenade Concert without Promenaders !

Bill H

I watched the first night of the proms on the box and noted immediately how much more pleasant the music was without all the kazoos balloons and general noise.

Don’t get me wrong I’ve been to more first / last nights and assorted other proms than you could shake a stick at as we had access to two (free) debenture seats for five years in early 70s before we moved out of London and it’s s a magical feeling actually physically to be there soaking up the atmosphere.However I was happy to have seats as on the few occasions we could only get promenade tickets the nazi
stewards patrolling the floor constantly making everyone stand up used to get on my tits.

Now in my dotage I can’t help feeling what a load of dorks the audience are with their constant interruptions ruining the music ,

That said I never miss theLast Night on the telly , but with no sing song this year it will be strange : I remember in my youth actually learning the entire words of rule Britannia so I could sing along in person only to find that they were printed on the programme that year......,

Happy days

Peter
(insomniacs anonymous)
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnm, Kittyhawk liked this
By johnm
@PeteSpencer Our family own 7 seats in the stalls and like you I have been to many Proms it has become less disciplined in recent years because it's now on the tourist trail. We get ridiculous offers for our Last Night seats from tour operators :roll:
By Flyingfemme
So I am sceptical about why the world has been laid waste for a bug and that makes me a malevolent sociopath? Most of the masks I see in public are dangling from ears or hands, shoved under a chin, pushed up into the hair or dragged out of a fluffy pocket. Are they much use?
The UK revised the number of covid deaths down 5,000 and Belgium did the same to the tune of 10,000. Everyone is making things up as they go along and running scared of being blamed or not re-elected. "Science" it ain't.
By eltonioni
@Flyingfemme I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you are Brazilian, or a self-selected volunteer, or a bit sucky up to the unnamed researchers in an unnamed paper in a journal for a society that sounds a bit like a latter day eugenicists' club.

"Researchers from Brazil..."
"1,600 volunteers..."
"About 1,200 people qualified for an "empathy group...""
By flybymike
FF Indeed.
The 41000 deaths are those tested positive for Covid who died for any reason in the previous 28 days.
Some reckon that more than 60% of the deaths include things like run over by a bus, fell off a cliff, heart attack, stroke, cancer etc.
The remainder like my brother in law we’re largely over eighty with pre existing morbidities.
Incredible that the economy and lives have been trashed, people effectively under house arrest, living in perpetual fear, and deprived of company of friends and relatives for a virus no worse than a typical flu epidemic.
I’m fed up and peed off with the whole malarkey. The BBC propaganda machine spouts government policy and won’t even report on the multiple demonstrations by tens of thousands of protesters last weekend in London, Dublin and Berlin against current government policy. :twisted:
By riverrock
For concert venues it could be argued that they could do the same social distancing rules as churches.

However churches aren't allowed to use balconies (at least in Scotland) as it was shown that someone in an upper balcony can infect everyone below them (found in mega church in S. Korea I think, when a so called super carrier infected lots of other people). That's essentially the problem for most concert venues - their capacity would be tiny, only using the ground tier. You also then have to police distancing while seated (everyone faces the same way, and you can't put screens between people, so everyone needs to be 2 meters from each other) making capacity tiny. You then have to police queuing throughout the venue while entering / exiting. If you have the same people going to a venue each time, they'll soon learn the system and follow it. However thats not the case at most entertainment venues.

On mask use - outside the risk is tiny anyway as moving air reduces the risk, so masks are only needed to reduce the risk when people may be within 2 meters of each other indoors. Indoors, most people I've seen have tried to use masks well (although there are always a few people whose masks seem to have, um, slipped uncovering their nose...), On where stored or how often washed, it doesn't really matter. The point is to redirect and slow air leaving the person so that droplets make their way to the ground as quickly as possible. The fact that the face covering is contaminated doesn't affect others, which is what the face coverings are protecting against.
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By eltonioni
Looks like working from home is going to become a permanent fixture for many , due Covid.

and this one, which will bring out plenty of pretty rancid views in the wider world.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53968213
Capita to close over a third of offices permanently

Outsourcing firm Capita is to close over a third of its offices in the UK permanently, the BBC understands.

The firm, which is a major government contractor, is to end its leases on almost 100 workplaces.

Business lobby group CBI has warned that the fall in office working is damaging city centre economies.
By Flyingfemme
So the world is losing paper pushers and gaining workers who actually do stuff. Not necessarily a bad thing. Trouble is that doing stuff pays far less than paper shuffling, so we get generally poorer, can afford less product and smaller mortgages. Not a good look for the UK as a whole.
eltonioni, skydriller liked this